RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Are Hankook Ventus RH06 tyres approved by Landrover
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

JonnyDangerous

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Are Hankook Ventus RH06 tyres approved by Landrover

Done a bunch of searching and this tyre seems to get a bunch of accolades. Is the Hankook approved by Landrover? I seem to recall reading somewhere that fitting a non-approved tyre my invalidate the warranty? I'm planning on replacing my conti's on my my10 sport with the Hankooks if they're approved.

Post #318708 Tue Oct 25 2011 7:57pm
Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Re: Are Hankook Ventus RH06 tyres approved by Landrover

I hope this is a joke, a tyre selection invalidating a warranty Shocked
I've heard of wheel size issues but not tyre brands, please tell me its not true.

JonnyDangerous wrote:
Done a bunch of searching and this tyre seems to get a bunch of accolades. Is the Hankook approved by Landrover? I seem to recall reading somewhere that fitting a non-approved tyre my invalidate the warranty? I'm planning on replacing my conti's on my my10 sport with the Hankooks if they're approved.
 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #318712 Tue Oct 25 2011 8:21pm
leedsunited

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Not a joke, I had warranty work refused by Armstrong Massey at York on the basis that i had incorrect tyres fitted, ie Hankook Ventus, Land Rover customer services were useless in their approach and agreed with the garage, the issue was that the speed rating was not as should be although not same as factory fitted they are still far higher than the legal speed limit.

Post #318733 Tue Oct 25 2011 10:56pm
JonnyDangerous

leedsunited wrote:
Not a joke, I had warranty work refused by Armstrong Massey at York on the basis that i had incorrect tyres fitted, ie Hankook Ventus, Land Rover customer services were useless in their approach and agreed with the garage, the issue was that the speed rating was not as should be although not same as factory fitted they are still far higher than the legal speed limit.

Thanks. That was my concern. Although more expensive is the pirelli scorpion zero the next best option. Like everyone else says the conti's seem to wear really badly on the outer edges so i'm going to avoid them.

Post #318745 Wed Oct 26 2011 7:41am
rrsboy

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

leedsunited what was the nature of your warranty claim? ============
2010 TDV8 HSE - ooo laa laaaaaaaaa
2007 TDV8 HSE - superb car and very reliable
============
2012 - dearly departed, sadly missed.. to return in late 2013 with a new TDV8!

Post #318749 Wed Oct 26 2011 8:37am
leedsunited

Steering issues, slight movement felt in the steering column and vibration, garage balanced the wheels but the TB reccomended a change of a component in the steering assembly, when they noticed the Hankooks the whole job stopped and they refused to carry out any further work, they told me if i returned with factory fitted tyres on the car they would carry out the work - both dealer and LR being complete tosser* hence the dealership has not and will not see another penny of my money. Avoid Armstrong Massey like the plague there service department stinks.

Post #318756 Wed Oct 26 2011 9:21am
Steuart64

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

I had hankooks on my MY07 and had suspension and sterring issues completed under warranty.

If you have the correct size, speed rating, manufacturing standard etc then the make should not be an issue, or should it? James may have an answer but it could be different from trading standard's answer!!!

The motor trade had us all going to a dealer for servivcing within warranty periods for years and thats was a rip off untill trading standards became involved. Now - MY11 RRS Autobiography TDV6, Orkney gray, tints, steps, daylight running lamps and allllll the toys!!!
Ex- RRS HSE TDV6 07 Java Black, bi xenon, corner lights, side steps, tints, cool box, smoke side repeats, chrome "sport" boot sill
Ex - Audi A4 Cab 3.0TDi Quattro
Ex - Freelander2 SE TD4
Ex - CRV Auto

Post #318783 Wed Oct 26 2011 12:31pm
Nik

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

So as long as the size and rating are the same as factory spec you should be ok?

The reason i'm interested as i'm about to spend nearly a grand renewing my warranty and i'll need tyres in the next few months too Big Cry 2015 Golf R DSG
Gone 2013 Mercedes C220 CDi AMG Sport Plus
Gone 2008 2.7 RRS HSE

Post #318787 Wed Oct 26 2011 12:43pm
ronniet101

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

i agree with Nik as long as size and ratings are same as factory spec then should be okay. Although if the tyre spec is better than factory and size is same then LR and dealer should provide full and detailed explanation of why they cant accept them...

If the weight rating is higher than the LR spec then this could be an issue if you had some handling issues or suspension compliance issues as these tyres would have a stronger sidewall construction, however if it was a speed rating increase then that is unlikely to present any issues as you couldnt get up to the max speed to cause any probs with the tyres or any possibly affected areas.

if tyres are same size but lower rating as factory spec then that would be an issue I think everyone would agree.

if LR do not specify in the owners manual that a particular type/make are not acceptable then they should say so.

Post #318793 Wed Oct 26 2011 1:13pm
JonnyDangerous

The problem with the Hankooks is that they are a 'w' rated tyre whereas the recommended tyres are 'y' rated. The crazy thing is both ratings are way in excess of speeds an RRS can travel.

Post #318796 Wed Oct 26 2011 1:20pm
JonnyDangerous

James - is there an official list of approved tyres?

Post #318797 Wed Oct 26 2011 1:21pm
mse

United Kingdom 

Speed ratings are there for a reason...you need to fit the same spec of tyre -brand etc doesnt matter

Its like LR recommends Shell i think for petrol - doesnt mean you need to put shell in...but if you ran using the wrong grade - thats different Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #318849 Wed Oct 26 2011 8:08pm
leedsunited

mse wrote:
Speed ratings are there for a reason...you need to fit the same spec of tyre -brand etc doesnt matter

Its like LR recommends Shell i think for petrol - doesnt mean you need to put shell in...but if you ran using the wrong grade - thats different

It is all bolloxs, W rating is up to 170MPH, Y is up to 190MPH, so the logic is what exactly, not one single RRS standard of the production line can match the speed rating of either tyre.

There is just no case to your argument other than "get out clause for dealer and manufacturer"

And your fuel argument is about as water tight as a sieve, can just imagine the discussion with the service manager "so what fuel you been using sir" "don't know mate just get it at Tesco's" "Oh my god you should use shell, we will not do any warranty work" Laughing

Post #318852 Wed Oct 26 2011 8:31pm
mse

United Kingdom 

leedsunited wrote:
mse wrote:

Its like LR recommends Shell i think for petrol - doesnt mean you need to put shell in...but if you ran using the wrong grade - thats different

It is all bolloxs, W rating is up to 170MPH, Y is up to 190MPH, so the logic is what exactly, not one single RRS standard of the production line can match the speed rating of either tyre.

There is just no case to your argument other than "get out clause for dealer and manufacturer"

And your fuel argument is about as water tight as a sieve, can just imagine the discussion with the service manager "so what fuel you been using sir" "don't know mate just get it at Tesco's" "Oh my god you should use shell, we will not do any warranty work" Laughing

That really isnt the point, you need to think of it as part of the big picture...the manufacture tests a certain selection of tyres to work across a number of factors, both vehicle loading (weight), speeds, engine/suspension maps, on and off road etc - you change that of your own free will and without a multi-billion pound test facility 5-7yrs of testing and a variety of test conditions...ok in all probability to can guess that its ok and on face value you may assume a high rating means its better...but thats not how it works. Get into aviation and you will see that taken to a new level

Incidentally i have been in a RRS at 170 with the speed limiter removed Thumbs Up obviously not on a UK road and on a test track, it was the supercharged as well Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #318860 Wed Oct 26 2011 9:14pm
leedsunited

mse - I think the tyre manufacturers spend many millions on development and test facilities and to use the excuse that it is not what was fitted when it came out of the factory is a lame excuse, how many sceond hand cars are sold with extended LR warranty and do not have the 2 named tyres fitted? Are all insurance policies invalid if not fitted with same named 2 tyres?

With regards to aviation having spent 9 years in the RAF as an aircraft engineer i understand the tolerances and margin for safety, just does not stack in this instance. Thumbs Up

Post #318864 Wed Oct 26 2011 9:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>