RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Tour of USA by RV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Lookers Park Royal

Tour of USA by RV

I wondered if any forum members have been to the USA and hired an RV? Confused

America is somewhere that Mrs T and I have not really explored, except for NYC together and I visited California when I was younger. We are thinking of taking our 6 year old daughter and 4 year old son away next year and touring around in an RV. We just need a bit of advice as to what would make a good two week trip. We would like to spend a couple of days resting between driving days, so not sure if we could do coast to coast LA to Miami (2500 miles), or follow Route 66 in that time.

Mrs T would like to go to California (Disney for kids etc), and I would like to visit Vegas, but apart from that we are open to suggestions. I suppose primarily the advice we need is:

What would make a nice two week route?
Any info on camp site availability, and can you just turn up?
How to get around once you get to a stop point (RV's aren't suitable fir the cities)?
Generally any hints or tips on how to make a great trip.

Your help/advice/stories/pictures etc would be very much appreciated!

James Thumbs Up

Last edited by Lookers Park Royal on Sat Sep 10 2011 9:26pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #313144 Sat Sep 10 2011 9:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Well LA to Vegas is only a short hop by USA standards James - IIRC Mick over on the FFRR forums posted something about his daughter doing this same holiday last year, might be worth a dig into the off topic threads there or even contacting him. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #313145 Sat Sep 10 2011 9:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lookers Park Royal

Thanks Tim, I'll ask him.

Just posted on FFRR too.

James Thumbs Up

Post #313146 Sat Sep 10 2011 9:35pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

Done LA and Vegas, San Fran, Lake Tahoe, many many times....I would stick to the west coast for 2 weeks.....call me if you want to discuss....I take it you prefer an RV to hotels etc.....??

Post #313149 Sat Sep 10 2011 9:41pm
Lookers Park Royal

Have always done hotels/villas etc, but thought the kids would enjoy it more than fly-drive and hotels. This is as close to camping as I'm ever likely to get Mrs T!

I'll give you a call next week.

James Thumbs Up

Post #313150 Sat Sep 10 2011 9:45pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

I would do LA, San Diego, then the desert up to Palm Springs, over Yucca Valley to Vegas, then the canyons, up through Yosemite then onto Lake Tahoe, back to San Fran, down PCH back to LA......a great way to spend 2 weeks....

Sme amazing RV's out there, with extendable electrics that make the cabins bigger when stationary.....

Post #313152 Sat Sep 10 2011 10:02pm
sweetafton

England 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

It's so much better than camping the RV. The only problem was I found was the toilet area cause I'm a very wide bloke (playing rugby) all shoulders. But done the gold coast in aus for a month with the RV but had a blast . It's a big unit to drive but easy once you grab it by the horns. James you will have a blast. You lucky sod. If you can get more time then do it cause it will go so quick. Thumbs Up

Post #313154 Sat Sep 10 2011 10:14pm
simon1233

United Kingdom 

Considering a similar trip myself next year, think we will look to take at least 3 weeks though as I suspect we will need at least 3 or 4 days in the parks in Florida before getting an internal flight over to the west coast where I intend to collect the RV. The kids will be 7&5 by then so I need to appease them with at least a couple of days with Mickey first!

Simon

Post #313162 Sat Sep 10 2011 11:35pm
wokkaman

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Zermatt Silver

James, I have toured 32 states and driven about 24000 miles out there, done it around califonia on Honda Goldwings and another time in a Lincoln Navigator..I am at your place later this week to get my rrs back and can give you tips. I even have a tom-tom you can borrow with us maps. For rv's cruiseamerica.com. Feel free to call or pm or chat later in week GONE** RRS 3.0SC Silver fully loaded Smile - 2020 110 loving it
BMW R1200GSA Rallye
GONE** Fiesta ST2 - Mrs Wokka's - AMG35 now
GONE**BMW K1600GTLE Matt Blue
GONE**Disco 4 2014 Firenze Red
GONE**Evoque SD4 Dynamic Coupe
GONE**RRS 5.0 SC
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8
GONE**RRS HSE TDV8 (The Crap one)
GONE**FL Facelift
GONE**FL 1
GONE**D1
GONE**BMW R1200GS Adventure
GONE: Kawasaki ZX10R
GONE: Focus ST2
** Chinook CH47 - 2 x T55 engines 3,750 hp each!! 183mph, 2xM134 Miniguns, 1xM60

Post #313245 Sun Sep 11 2011 10:25pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

NickM wrote:
I would do LA, San Diego, then the desert up to Palm Springs, over Yucca Valley to Vegas, then the canyons, up through Yosemite then onto Lake Tahoe, back to San Fran, down PCH back to LA......a great way to spend 2 weeks....

Sme amazing RV's out there, with extendable electrics that make the cabins bigger when stationary.....

Did a similar route a few years back in a mustang, but from las vagas, headed out to G Canyon then south to lake havisau then down to Mexico and along back to San diago, great trip would love to do it again! MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #313248 Sun Sep 11 2011 11:01pm
4wheeldriver

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Have a look on the Camping and Caravan Club website James. They do organised tours by RV all over the world. Not just the states.

you can pick the size of RV, get guides to show you the sites etc. Not cheap like but they look quite good. Current, M135i in Estoril Blue with more extras than the cast of Ben Hur.

535d m-sport Platinum grey and a few extras.... Gone

X5 3.0 sd in Space Grey, 20's, Dynamic Pack, Memory Pack, Media Pack, Tow Pack, Rear DVD, Panoramic Sunroof, Steps, 7 Seat Pack, Reversing Camera with moving lines, programmable park heat, etc etc etc - Gone

Range Rover Sport Santorini, privacy, dvd, towpack GONE!!!

Post #313249 Sun Sep 11 2011 11:05pm
Lookers Park Royal

Thanks guys for all your help. Sounds like I need to examine some maps and gen-up on some of the key locations. Wokka - I'm off site Wed, but in all week apart from that.

Thanks again all.

James Thumbs Up

Post #313261 Mon Sep 12 2011 8:14am
BIG DJ

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Be careful with what size RV you book as I'm sure some of them you need to hold a HGV licence for?

Post #313263 Mon Sep 12 2011 8:24am
RRS_PAT

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Sounds fantastic. Defintely do Yosemite and try to go over a pass as well as the scenery is beautiful. Also try to take in Zion park (a little off some routes) but worth the visit in my opinion.
Going on the cable car in Palm Springs (nice place) is great as well.

Death valley is awesome too!!

Have you seen Billy Connolly is doing a programme going up Route 66 so may be worth a watch to get some ideas. I think its on Thursday, though best to check if you're interested.

Our tour of the west coast was only 2 weeks so we didnt get to monument valley - but its on my lis tof places to go.

Remember its a lot of time in the car (RV) when we did a flydrive tour I think we spent an average of 4-5 hours in the car. We did this pre kids so I would be interested to hear how you get on as I am considering doing a similar trip with my 8 year old. Maybe a case of leaving him plugged into the DS Wink

Happy planning Very Happy 2011 Autobiography Santorini Black

Post #313264 Mon Sep 12 2011 8:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1