RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Privacy Glass
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

So how do they get on in countries where they are legal half the cars in Miami have all the glass in limo tints and don't seem to be crashing all night? MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #300328 Sun May 22 2011 8:57pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I don't know the answer to that one chris, i don't have any stats,

Last edited by Ady 555 on Sun May 22 2011 9:42pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #300329 Sun May 22 2011 9:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

ChrisP wrote:
So how do they get on in countries where they are legal half the cars in Miami have all the glass in limo tints and don't seem to be crashing all night?

Chris, as far as I know the limits are similar in most countries Inc USA , I dare say they just issue a ticket , whereas here it is points on licence - personally I wouldn't tint my side windows, as I wouldn't like to make an error of judgement and pull out in front of someone, the RRS has some size of bonnet to vault! Wink

Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #300334 Sun May 22 2011 9:40pm
WT

United States 2008 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

ChrisP wrote:
So how do they get on in countries where they are legal half the cars in Miami have all the glass in limo tints and don't seem to be crashing all night?

In the US, if the window tint is too dark (i.e. "limo" tint) the police will write up a "repair order" ticket. The ticket states that you must have the car inspected by a certain date at an authorized motor vehicle department. Basically you have to remove/replace the illegal tint and then get your windows inspected. This happened to me a long time ago (early '90s) and I believe there was also some sort of small fine associated, but no points on license.

Nowadays I don't think anyone cares any more, so people tint their front windows, especially in the hotter regions of the country (although not the windshield - it used to be fashionable to tint as much of the upper portion of windshield as possible, usually about 1/4 of the way down from the top - I don't really see anyone doing this any more though... which is good as it looks ridiculous and diminishes visibility even more).

Post #300385 Mon May 23 2011 12:59pm
ciaa

United Arab Emirates 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Streaky wrote:
I can understand the 'Privacy Glass' for VIP's etc who don't want photographers and so forth shooting cameras in their face....but why do people have privacy glass in the back of the car when they are the person driving in the front with no tint what so ever?

The Police don't allow full tint here on expats cars so they can clearly see all occupants of the vehicle. They carry desitometers around with them so anyone caught driving with more than 30% tint has to remove it on the spot and face a fine.
Why is it not allowed to have darkened front windows in UK?

thx

Some law... ive had full limo tint (70% dark) all round my car for 4 years, never had any issues with the police or when its tested and registered!
Does get kinda tricky reversing in the dark though Whistle 2006 RRS Supercharged
Hawke Saker 22" rims Nitto Tires
Larini exhaust System
ECU remap
Modified and ported supercharger with 3lb pulley

Post #300403 Mon May 23 2011 1:59pm
Streaky

United Arab Emirates 2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Alaska White

But it's still the law. Whether you decide to abide by it or not is up to you. An amount of wasta also helps in some cases wouldn't you say?
The RTA (Road Transport Authority) tend to go through spats of endorsing this rule. Personlly I think that 30% tint with the UV blocker is pretty good medium...plus it helps reduce the inside temperature by quite a bit.

One of my hates about the darkened glass is you can not see if the driver has acknowleged you when he's about to put out of a side entrance. At least with clear glass you get an idea if the driver is looking at you or not.

The debate continues.............. Ra-Ro Sport Super Dooper Charged.
Ford F350 Super Duty Prototype.
Ni$$@n Patrol 4.8 Overlander.

Post #300415 Mon May 23 2011 3:19pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

If they made the law clear cut ie No tints on the front drivers and passangers side windows then they wouldn't need to spend our (the tax payers money) on devices testing if they are legal or not Mr. Green the laws in this country are a pi55 take. there should be a clear cut penalty for breaking the law not a half cocked one, you COULD be fined xxxxx or the Maximum penalty is..... Nobody EVER gets the maximum fine or sentence, get a grip britain Mr. Green Sorry, rant over Whistle

Post #300418 Mon May 23 2011 3:33pm
JONRRS

Australia 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Baltic Blue

Just an Australian (NSW) Viewpoint for anyone who cares.

In New South Wales you are allowed to tint the side and rear windows up to a 35% tint - which means only 35% of the light gets through.

That said I have run 15% all around for the last 15 years with no issues from the plod.

I have no problems seeing out of the car at night, and reversing is easy especially now I have a reversing camera.

I posted some photos of the car in the photo section of this forum, which shows what 15% looks like. It is not limo tint but is very dark.

In australia with the heat, dark tints make a huge difference to the temp inside the car, all interior trim stays relatively cool. The airconditioning doesn't need to work as hard to keep the car cool.

Each to their own but I agree having tints on the rear only look a bit weird, much better to have it all around if it is an option. 2011 TDV6 Luxury - Baltic Blue, Ebony with Contrast Stitch, RSE, Stormers, Towpack.

Post #300523 Tue May 24 2011 12:25am
Siberianfox

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Siberian Silver

Ady 555 wrote:
If they made the law clear cut ie No tints on the front drivers and passangers side windows then they wouldn't need to spend our (the tax payers money) on devices testing if they are legal or not Mr. Green the laws in this country are a pi55 take. there should be a clear cut penalty for breaking the law not a half cocked one, you COULD be fined xxxxx or the Maximum penalty is..... Nobody EVER gets the maximum fine or sentence, get a grip britain Mr. Green Sorry, rant over Whistle

Ady.... breathe.....find that inner peace..

I dont know why you would really want to have the front windows blacked out ..... Smile

Post #300546 Tue May 24 2011 9:19am
ChrisP

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Because it looks cool Cool MY2011 HSE Santorini/Ivory/Piano Black/Privacy Glass/TV .Sadly gone.
Audi A5 Sportback Black Edition 3.0 tdi quattro S Line

Post #300561 Tue May 24 2011 10:02am
mse

United Kingdom 

ChrisP wrote:
Because it looks cool Cool

I dont think so.

I dont like not being able to see out - certainly on the front...the rear privacy glass has grown on me i have to say...but never the front Mike

2014 Facelift Discovery

Post #300612 Tue May 24 2011 5:21pm
oldcro

Scotland 

Go for the ultimate paint all the windows black, then use Distronic to accelerate and brake and SAt Nav to help you steer. Traffic lights and junctions may prove to be a minor inconvenience, but many already ignore these anyway.

Just a thought. Whistle

Post #300640 Tue May 24 2011 8:09pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12