RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Students Protest
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Students Protest

Watched this unfold yesterday via sky new and as much I respect the students commitment and wish to protest the violence sickens me and will undoubtedly undermined their support from the british public. I never realised at the time but the Royal car was attacked whilst Prince Charles and his wife were actually in the vehicle now im not a royalist but im actually stuned that the young people of this country think these actions are acceptable.

The car was kicked, daubed in paint with the rear and side windows being shattered as 20 demonstrators set upon the vehicle with fists, boots and bottles, chanting "Off with their heads!" and "Tory scum".

The same people who think its appropriate to attack a 62 year old man and his wife in their vehicle are the ones who want their education handed to them on a plate Censored

Post #282608 Fri Dec 10 2010 8:52am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

x5pea I agree Evil or Very Mad

My Daughter is at Uni and I have 2 sons hoping to go in the next few years but violence is never justified in a protest - you just lose support Sad

I think a good idea would be if all students took a year out next year and new ones did not apply to uni - that would hit the systems pockets and force a rethink Rolling with laughter Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Last edited by muddywheels on Fri Dec 10 2010 10:29am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #282615 Fri Dec 10 2010 9:57am
Jonny Fresh

England 

I think it's ridiculous, I left uni 6 years ago after doing a proper degree.....there's that many "mickey mouse" degrees around that I support the fee increases wholeheartedly.

The theory is that government contributes to higher education but it gets paid back and then some as the graduates go on to earn more and pay more tax because they have a degree. This is bull Censored , either they get a valid degree and still can't earn more than 20k pa or they p*ss around for 3 or 4 years doing media studies and come out to work in Carphone Warehouse.

I think this increase will weed out the frustratingly pointless courses that these unis churn out, 9K a year for a valid degree and a bright future is not so hard to stomach, 9K a year for a p*ss up is!

Post #282618 Fri Dec 10 2010 10:06am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Jonny Fresh I agree with some of what you say about mickey mouse degrees but...

Mickey mouse courses will still be full of kids who's parents are loaded and don't need a job when they finish uni - I have friends with kids like this Embarassed

My Daughter is doing 2nd year of Architecture at Oxford and gets no support from me as I want her to learn to be independent like I did - she could not afford £9k tuition fees Sad

She works hard and has a job in holidays/weekends (as I did). She is a minority - her housemates are out every night and live off mum and dad - they would still be there if fees were £18K Rolling Eyes

Raising tuition fees is just another stealth tax and stops poorer kids from going to Uni Exclamation

My parents could not afford to send me to Uni so I got a job and spent 6 years getting my qualifications one day a week while I supported myself but I had a job at the end of it Thumbs Up Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #282621 Fri Dec 10 2010 10:44am
Jonny Fresh

England 

fair points there muddywheels......

It just really wound me up at uni some of the ridiculous courses you could do.

It also annoys me when people say uni is so hard blah blah blah, I thought uni was hard until I entered the real world.....

20 hours a week tops then vs. 80 now......

Post #282624 Fri Dec 10 2010 10:56am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I know what you mean Jonny Thumbs Up

Its a bit like "when I were a lad"..... but I worked 4 days a week doing my job 8am to 5pm, Uni day left 7am and got back 10.30pm and spent weekends/evenings doing projects/homework for uni so I get annoyed too when my daughter tells me about her friends at uni Evil or Very Mad

Last week she had to work through the night because a toerag on her course did not complete his part of a 2 month group project and she would have got zero marks if it was not in on time but tutors don't want to know Evil or Very Mad

Incidentally the pay was Censored and after 14 years I jacked it and started my own company doing something completely different so not sure Uni system works - I could have saved myself a lot of stress but maybe thats what makes you who you are Confused Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #282627 Fri Dec 10 2010 11:21am
Jonny Fresh

England 

Uni is a great experience and I'm glad I went but it definitely didn't affect where I am as I was always going into the family business, but I wouldn't have wanted to waste 3 years doing Media studies. Laughing

Post #282630 Fri Dec 10 2010 11:54am
x5pea

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Lets put it this way if my son or daughter wanted to go to uni and it was costing me £9k a year, i would happily invest in either of their futures because im fortunate enough to be in a position to do so.

However if either of them suggested me spunking 9k of my hard earned so they could get Censored 4 nights a week and walk away with a degree which isnt worth the paper its printed on i wouldn't entertain it. If they were committed to a career in law, medicine or teaching etc then they would need that degree in order to progress so i would make sure they put the effort in and i got my £9k worth. There in lies the problem in my opinion, a degree to some people is a ticket to doing naff all for 4 years and getting funded to do so either by the government or parents.

I think at 17/18 its difficult to make a decision on what you wish to do for the rest of your life and further education is an easy option for some people, Personally I hated school and couldnt wait to leave, i got a job at 16, increased my skill set and got some life experience.

If i left school at 16 and got a job in tesco for 4 years on 15k a year i would earn £60k where the equivalent student would have earned £36+ of debt..... after 4 years im just under 100k better off than the student.

Post #282631 Fri Dec 10 2010 11:54am
Endjin

Scotland 

I know that most of the students were peaceful but the organised minority that were hell bent on trouble should have been dealt with severely! If this had been the USA & they had attacked a presidential car the offending protesters would be full of bullet holes by now! The police shold have TASERed the little scrotes! Evil or Very Mad 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #282636 Fri Dec 10 2010 12:54pm
Steuart64

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Had a lot of sympathy for students but all lost after seeing that D/head hanging off the Union Flag at the Cenotaph. Yeh ok not all students are like him but if they cant control each other then how will they control a classroom!! Now - MY11 RRS Autobiography TDV6, Orkney gray, tints, steps, daylight running lamps and allllll the toys!!!
Ex- RRS HSE TDV6 07 Java Black, bi xenon, corner lights, side steps, tints, cool box, smoke side repeats, chrome "sport" boot sill
Ex - Audi A4 Cab 3.0TDi Quattro
Ex - Freelander2 SE TD4
Ex - CRV Auto

Post #282657 Fri Dec 10 2010 4:35pm
ilard

United Kingdom 

I agree, the edgy violence and unsocial behaviour is pretty disgusting. (seriously, bl...dy idiots).

And poor old Camilla! BUT more importantly, poor old Rolls Royce Phantom, I can't believe they smashed a window on that classic. Off with their heads! Let them polish, pamper and restore a thousand cars as their sentence. They can start with getting a toothbrush into the nooks 'n crannies of my five spokes. L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #282679 Fri Dec 10 2010 9:16pm
admiral

United Kingdom 

am sure most of the students were peacefully protesting,a minority of idiots always looking for trouble have destroyed their cause,in the publics eyes ,however think this proposal is still a reasonable deal ,self improvement should be paid for by the applicant ,they might value it ,country is broke ,and every other person has a degree,someone has got to fund it ,perhaps the bankers could help out with their christmas bonuses Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Laughing

Post #282680 Fri Dec 10 2010 9:28pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Jonny Fresh wrote:
I think it's ridiculous, I left uni 6 years ago after doing a proper degree.....there's that many "mickey mouse" degrees around that I support the fee increases wholeheartedly.

The theory is that government contributes to higher education but it gets paid back and then some as the graduates go on to earn more and pay more tax because they have a degree. This is bull Censored , either they get a valid degree and still can't earn more than 20k pa or they p*ss around for 3 or 4 years doing media studies and come out to work in Carphone Warehouse.

I think this increase will weed out the frustratingly pointless courses that these unis churn out, 9K a year for a valid degree and a bright future is not so hard to stomach, 9K a year for a p*ss up is!

Agree - anyone found guilty of any offence during these protests ought to be excluded from further education for life - then - any offspring dealt with in the same way

No excuse for it - none - zero tolerance

If they were paying 9K a year they'd think twice about wasting the cash - on a doss they are up for a ruck in London - If I were a parent I'd be dragging them back myself.

If they had proper courses to go to they couldn't afford the time out - the Churchill and Cenotaph images are appaling Censored 's

Post #282690 Fri Dec 10 2010 10:51pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

what annoys me is that school kids are paid (up here anyway) to stay on at school, therefore reducing the unemployment statistics. it is time money was spent on apprenticships so that the less academic amongst them could go on to be brickies/plumbers etc instead of cloging up the universities doing "micky mouse " degrees, when i were a lad you had to be clever to go to uni (which is why i became a fish merchant....oops) and i never regreted not going one bit. why dont they charge nowt for a lower end course, rising up to £15k for a medical course payable only when they start earning? MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #282704 Sat Dec 11 2010 1:01am
Steuart64

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

Maybe degrees are the cause - cant see many non-graduates in high power positions in Banking. Or is that a naive statement from someone who graduates daily from the hard knocks in the University of Life? Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Now - MY11 RRS Autobiography TDV6, Orkney gray, tints, steps, daylight running lamps and allllll the toys!!!
Ex- RRS HSE TDV6 07 Java Black, bi xenon, corner lights, side steps, tints, cool box, smoke side repeats, chrome "sport" boot sill
Ex - Audi A4 Cab 3.0TDi Quattro
Ex - Freelander2 SE TD4
Ex - CRV Auto

Post #282709 Sat Dec 11 2010 5:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>