RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > DRL's and Reversing Camera
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Markymark934

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
DRL's and Reversing Camera

Having owned several Audis I'm new to Range Rovers having recently bought a 2010MY RR Sport. I bought the car nearly new and it had a few things that needed attending to when I got it so I booked it into my local dealer. I picked the car up from the dealer with none of the things having been attended to and it left me with more questions than answers!?
In particular;
1. The Daytime Running Lights. Look great on all the brochures/promo material but it seems to be a case of 'Bully's Star Prize' = "Lets have a look at what you could have had!". I've seen to posts on this site telling that the dealers can enable them (albeit with the dipped headlights) andI've read the handbook which also says that, but my dealer is refusing. "It will turn the vehicle into a Scandanavian spec therefore we're not allowed to". They referred me to LR technical, who said they shouldn't have referred me etc... Anyway, bottom line is that the dealer can do it but it will invalidate my warranty! For God's sake! Are they saying that if they switch the DRL's on and the gearbox fails they won't cover it? Has anyone any experience of dealers enabling the DRL's?
2. The Rear view camera - apparently the guidelines don't bend (as the steering wheel is turned) to show the anticipated path of the vehicle unless you have the towing option or the full surround camera option. Again - for God's sake! The handbook says it should? It's a fairly useless option if that's the case. Does anyone know if this is true?

The other item was a misaligned steeering wheel - they expertly confirmed that the steering wheel was indeed misaligned (genius), and that I'd have to book it in to get it sorted. Silly me I thought that would have been sorted as they had it all day.

Overall not a fantastic start. I'm not saying Audi were great but compared to my experience so far they were.

Post #261340 Mon Mar 29 2010 3:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
RichardM

2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Galway Green

Correct, the camera lines don't bend without the surround camera. WINNER - 2009 ‘Just Doing What It’s Designed To Do’ Award

2010 TDV8 HSE Galway Green - Adaptive Cruise - Sunroof - Privacy Glass - 5 Spoke Alloys
2009 TDV6 3.0 HSE Buckingham Blue - GONE

Post #261389 Mon Mar 29 2010 10:49pm
purple people eater

United Kingdom 

what do they do? purple people eater

There are no good days, just some days that are not as bad as others!

Gone RR 4.0 P38 Autobiography MY99 Red ( Evil or Very Mad money pit)
Gone Big Cry RRS MY06 2.7TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Gone RRS MY10 3.0TDV6 HSE Bali Blue with lots of bits (never grew to love it)
Here Now - 3.6 TDV8 FFRR OVERFINCH Stornoway Grey - loving it x
My work car Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDci Zetec auto Estate in Silver

Post #261391 Mon Mar 29 2010 11:01pm
Markymark934

I guess they're there to remind you you've been a cheapskate and not ticked the surround camera option, or to encourage you to go and buy the towing pack?

Post #261436 Tue Mar 30 2010 8:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

I thought all new MY2010 had the DRL's as standard Shocked

But, your saying the LED's only come on when you have the lights on, surely their not understanding you and think you have the older model without LED DRL's.

I'm sure i saw a RRS start up when at LPR when I was collecting my car, and the LEDs came on when the chap started it, then the headlights a little later whilst the chap fiddled with the controls

Post #261438 Tue Mar 30 2010 9:32am
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

The my2010 doesnt have drl's the leds come on as side lights but have to be switched on manually i had the same problem i asked dealer to enable the leds to come on automatically as drl's but after he contacted lr he was told that the leds are not bright enough to be called or used as drl's so was unable to.

Think lr have made a mistake with this when you see all the audi models with there bright led drl's making them stand out in all light conditions typical lr . 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #261446 Tue Mar 30 2010 9:52am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

So they have fitted too low a powered LEDs to be DRLs Rolling Eyes when the law charges in the UK in 2011, not very forward thinking

Post #261450 Tue Mar 30 2010 10:05am
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

Well thats what the dealer told me and they are no way near as bright as the ones on the audi models such a shame 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #261452 Tue Mar 30 2010 10:09am
Markymark934

Yeah it was a nice illusion created by LR with all their promo material showing the lovely circular LED's as if they were DRL's. Of course you can switch the sidelights on every time you drive the car but apart from being slightly inconvenient this also switches on the instrument panel lighting and the rear lights.
The dealer can set the front headlights and sidelights to be on permanently but as say he won't as it will transform the car into a Scandanavian model! This is despite the handbook saying that "unless prohibited/required by law the DRL's can be turned on/off by the dealer". Ideally I'd like just the sidelights on but as a second choice I'd like sidelights plus dipped headlights.
It's purely for show I know but they do look great (as LR well know) and it's being marketed as one of the features of 2010MY. I agree LR have missed a trick here.

Post #261456 Tue Mar 30 2010 10:12am
JFK

2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

What is wrong with LR? I wonder if someones foot hurts! Driving to work an hour ago I saw a new 10 plate S Class Merc with DRL`s the bloke who drives me when Im `tired & emotional` has them on his E Class & im sure ive seen Porsche`s with them too. My Volvo has headlights on the entire time, so does having DRL`s make it illegal? If so there are a lot of us breaking the law. Rolls Royce Ghost, RRS 2.7 TDV6, E220 Avantgarde Estate.

Post #261509 Tue Mar 30 2010 2:47pm
timbo

2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
DRL's and Reversing camera

Hey all. I got all confused reading this thread. i've got a new MY10 RRS HSE and my LED's are on all the time - unless I turn them off. is that what DRL's means? Is DRL Daytime Running Lights and does that mean just the LED's or the LED's and the main lights?

More annoyingly - the guidelines on my reversing camera have disappeared and the image seems to have flipped itself, so left is right and right is left etc. Make for a very confusing parking aid indeed. Anyone got any knowledge/experience of this phenomena? don't think I pressed any wrong buttons.

Post #261825 Fri Apr 02 2010 6:01pm
949BFN

South Africa 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

If I'm not mistaken, the issue with your camera is a known one and was recently addressed by Land Rover in a bulletin. 2010 Sport Supercharged with all options apart from TV and Extended leather (wish I had the latter) (Previously 2007 RRS S/C)

Post #261855 Sat Apr 03 2010 6:08am
SilverspeedRRS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Sumatra Black

I asked my dealer to switch on the LEDs and he could only switch on one of two options either dipped and LEDs no instrument lighting or dipped and LEDs with instrument lighting. I opted for the first option and dealer was fine doing it but weas disappointed you could not just run with LEDs. I leave the switch in Auto mode and when the light dims my instruments lighting is switched on. I also believe with the second option the tail lights are not illuminated but I may have dreamt that! LR have messed up IMO but I think MY10 was rushed to market quicker than they would have liked. My HBA is irratic to say the least and Forward Alert doesn't unless you are about 6 feet away and thats too late at anything over 5mph !! Also LR missed a few simple tricks that would have made a very good package complete:-
1. Rear courtesy lights on the doors
2. Power lift and close rear door
3. Nav display on main instrument console ( I think this may be available soon)

Post #261967 Sun Apr 04 2010 11:39am
Markymark934

Completely agree!
Coming from a Q7 I do miss the power tailgate close and I can't believe the Nav turn instructions don't appear on the instrument display. I'm hoping this will become available as a firmware update (who knows it may even be done for free!?)
Like you I wanted the side light LED's to be on permanently but I would have settled for LED's plus dipped headlights (downside is people think you've left your lights on) - problem was my dealer wouldn't do it, and when I contacted LR they said he could but it would invalidate my warranty. Did your dealer mention such rubbish?

Post #261977 Sun Apr 04 2010 12:06pm
SilverspeedRRS

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Sumatra Black

Markymark934 wrote:
Completely agree!
Coming from a Q7 I do miss the power tailgate close and I can't believe the Nav turn instructions don't appear on the instrument display. I'm hoping this will become available as a firmware update (who knows it may even be done for free!?)
Like you I wanted the side light LED's to be on permanently but I would have settled for LED's plus dipped headlights (downside is people think you've left your lights on) - problem was my dealer wouldn't do it, and when I contacted LR they said he could but it would invalidate my warranty. Did your dealer mention such rubbish?

No mention that warranty would be invalid and doesn't say so in the manual either. How can doing a software amend that is a LR option for another market invalidate the warranty? Its not as though you are putting a sports exhaust on or new engine software !!

Post #262148 Tue Apr 06 2010 2:14pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1