RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Navigation while driving - Hacked!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White
Navigation while driving - Hacked!

After several days of testing in my car without any adverse effects, and after receiving positive feedback from a couple of fellow RRS owners, I am happy to announce that I accidentally discovered the seemingly "impossible, nonexistent, unthinkable, undetectable" hack code to unlock our navigation system controls while the car is in motion.

For those of you already familiar with accessing the Nav diag PIN entry screen, the PIN # is 1791. For those who don't know what a diag PIN entry screen is, keep reading.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER: As always, I am not responsible if ANYTHING AT ALL goes wrong while you are trying this, whether your monitor freezes, your engine won't start or you crash into a large tree... I found the code because I got lucky (and because I spent a few hours scouring the internet for leads/ideas), not because I knew anything more than you guys know. I have no idea whether this hack may create problems down the road, I don't have a clue whether it works on every Sport out there (it does on mine and another 2), on LR3s or big RRs with the same Denso nav system as our cars. Don't call/write me for help, because I will not be able to give you any other than the directions below.

The beauty of the hack is that you can enable it while you start the car or while you are already on the road, and it really takes only a few presses of the touchscreen, maybe 15 seconds total. This beats having to pull over if you or, I sincerely hope, your front passenger wants to enter an address while you are already driving down the highway. The bad news is that the hack is temporary. About two minutes after you turn off the engine, the car's computer will shut down and will take the hack down with it. So, you will have to reenable it whenever you need it. There may be a way to make this hack permanent, but I have not found it (yet) and this is better than nothing, for now. Lexus drivers have to put up with the same hack limitation...

Let's start. First of all, you need to get to the on-road Navigation Menu as shown in picture B below. So, if you are just starting the car, you go to Navigation, acknowledge the obnoxious Land Rover legal dept. by pressing the "Agree" button, and you'll probably get to the map screen shown in picture A. If you are driving, you are most likely already there. Press the lower left Home button to get to the Navigation Menu:
Picture A:

You should now be in the Navigation Menu (if you are moving, some square buttons will be grayed out, but it does not matter.) Press the UPPER CENTER portion of the touchscreen for about 5 seconds (there is an invisible button there), as indicated below:
Picture B:

This will eventually bring up the "secret" Diag PIN entry screen below:
Picture C:

Using the touchscreen, enter PIN # 1791 and press OK, like this:
Picture D:

The screen will look again like it did in Picture C. It appears the PIN entry has failed, except that it hasn't... Press the Return arrow on the upper right corner to go back to the Nav Menu:
Picture E:

That's all there is to it. You should now have access to all navigation entry and setup menus, whether you are moving or not, free of charge and with my best Easter wishes... Wink 

Last edited by umbertob on Sat Apr 15 2006 10:37am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #25010 Sat Apr 15 2006 8:09am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Umbertob - Gold star to you! Next we need to find the hack for the DVD whilst driving. Well Done. Thumbs Up 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #25012 Sat Apr 15 2006 8:20am
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I'm guessing that you can't reenter a new address when your driving Question Mad RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #25013 Sat Apr 15 2006 8:24am
umbertob

Funny you should mention that. I found this code on a Cadillac forum in the US. Apparently, this code was used in 2004 Caddies with Denso electronics to unlock the capability to watch DVD on the front monitor while driving! So, who knows... It may do both for you guys. In the US, the monitor is not even wired for video from the RSE, so there's no telling for us if this code will unlock both... Probably not, but I hope for you it does.

God Bless the lack of imagination of the Japanese engineers at Denso for using the same unlock code used in the Caddy DVD menu two years later in the Range Rover nav menu... Laughing Those Caddy owners are still looking for the code to unlock their own nav system while driving, by the way. They even offered a money prize to whomever would come up with the solution, but they never found it. 

Last edited by umbertob on Sat Apr 15 2006 8:29am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #25014 Sat Apr 15 2006 8:27am
umbertob

JayMann wrote:
I'm guessing that you can't reenter a new address when your driving Question Mad

You can do whatever you would be able to do while standing still, including reentering an address while driving, yes. 

Post #25015 Sat Apr 15 2006 8:28am
JayMann

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

I'm not sure what you can do when driving or not as i only got my car the other day and still haven't driven it Smile RRS TDV6 Gone but still around
SL55 AMG
760Li Alpina
BMW 535D M Sport
BMW X6 XDrive35D
BMW 320D Coupe M Sport
And A Van For Rex!

WINNER - 2008's Idler Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Comedian Of The Year
WINNER - 2008's Funniest Incident

I love boobies i love boobies i love boobies cuz i'm a big kid now! (Come on everybody sing with me you know the words!)

Post #25016 Sat Apr 15 2006 8:31am
l

Spain 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Umberto YOU ARE THE MAN Laughing Laughing Laughing RRS TDV6 HSE BUCKINGHAM BLUE BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR RHODIUM TASMOD SILLS PARROT 3000 EVOLUTION WHITE SIDE REPEATERS RRPORT.CO.UK BROLLY & STICKER
HOW GOOD IS THIS CAR!!!!
8 YEARS AND STILL GETTING LOOKS

Post #25017 Sat Apr 15 2006 8:34am
grommet

United States 

Good job, umbertob! Very Happy I thought that legacy Denso system diag code didn't do anything on the new system. I obviously wasn't patient enough when I originally tried/tested it. I can personally confirm on RRS and LR3.

Also, for completion purposes... the Navigation On-Screen Diagnostics menu is accessed using 753 as a PIN. Same process as documented above, but less useful. Cool

Post #25018 Sat Apr 15 2006 8:50am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

Umbertob: whenever u come to Germany i ll pay u all the drinks ! Bow down

BTW: that should work for all the new Jaguars too !!! 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #25031 Sat Apr 15 2006 3:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

BTW works fine on mine! Thumbs Up What's the code for the RRS to turn into a jet fighter? Very Happy 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #25032 Sat Apr 15 2006 5:39pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

haha yeah i want that one too! Twisted Evil 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC

Post #25042 Sun Apr 16 2006 7:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
grommet

United States 

When you see the jet fighter, simply turn your steering wheel toward the jet and press the accelerator all the way down. Be aware that the jet fighter will need to be on the ground. No PIN or "hack" necessary.

Yeah, I'm done. Wink

Last edited by grommet on Mon Apr 17 2006 8:44am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #25057 Sun Apr 16 2006 6:40pm
canaryman

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Cairns Blue

My cousin is a GR3 pilot (he says "fast jet" pilot and chastises me for saying "fighter" pilot. He will be moving onto the Eurofighter soon but I think he drives a poxy Citreon....................how bloody sad is that!! Shocked

Post #25069 Mon Apr 17 2006 8:40am
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Nice one U.

I won't pay for all your drinks 'cause if you're like the rest of the reprobates on this site it'll cost me my Tigers fund!

Have you got the code to increase wheel size to 42" as per VA's previous post? Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #25071 Mon Apr 17 2006 8:48am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

they should take him his pilot license away ! 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC

Post #25075 Mon Apr 17 2006 9:01am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>