RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Throttle hang up.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue
Throttle hang up.

SE 2.7 and very new to it . only done 3000 miles and not yet sure what is normal and what is not. On ocations, usually after starting off from cold, I have the sence the throttle stays open a few seconds before returning to idle when the pedal is released. the car continues on unless breaked.
Comments and suggestions welcome.
Lardie

Post #229923 Tue Jul 07 2009 1:54pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Not sure about that!

In my humble opinion, I don't think the throttle hangs up, you are just carrying a lot of inertia from a very cold gearbox, transfer box and front/rear diff axles (full of stiff lazy cold oil).

Have you heard the whooshing sound a DISCO or a RRS make when they first set off in the morning (day or night) after they have been stood for many hours. I have a new one of each model and they both make the same fierce sound as they 'get up to speed' first thing.

I know what you mean about it feeling a bit sluggish when you let your foot off the gas.

Nothing to worry about I don't think Rolling Eyes Smoke me a kipper: I'll be back for breakfast.

RRS HSE TDV6 gone after 15 months since new - will not be missed I'm afraid - bit of a gremlin in there somewhere - too many issues. Replaced with FFRR Vogue TDV8 - very nice - not as sporty (of course) but absolute luxury.

Post #229961 Tue Jul 07 2009 6:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ELD70

United Kingdom 

I beleive the roar on start up is the viscous fan running for 30 secs or so.

Post #229968 Tue Jul 07 2009 8:52pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Moving off!!

Maybe that is so when starting the engine, but I think we are referring to the first few hundred yards or so when moving off (for the first time when cold)?? Question Smoke me a kipper: I'll be back for breakfast.

RRS HSE TDV6 gone after 15 months since new - will not be missed I'm afraid - bit of a gremlin in there somewhere - too many issues. Replaced with FFRR Vogue TDV8 - very nice - not as sporty (of course) but absolute luxury.

Post #229969 Tue Jul 07 2009 9:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

My TDv6 used to "roar" on start up and just after Drive or reverse was engaged for the first time after standing over night. It was explained to me as the viscous cooling fan mentioned above by the local dealership. The car was also sluggish for the first 100m of driving and then it ran perfectly normally. The TDv8 that I now have has never displayed either "characteristic". 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #229971 Tue Jul 07 2009 9:25pm
Hugh Haddow

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue
Thanks for the comments all.

I'm not convinced though.
The roar is definately the viscous fan. First thing if you try turning it manually it feels tight. After a short run however it feels much more free.
Not sure of the overrun theory becaise the engine still pulls. At lo speed the torque converter has not locked up so, when the power is reduced, the RPM drops. But not innitially. It takes about 2 sec. in my case.
Seems simmiliar from your description.
At lease it is not my immagination.
Cheers.

Post #230062 Wed Jul 08 2009 1:43pm
RRS11

South Korea 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hugh, I know what you're saying.

I have similar simptom happens when I go down to my garage(B5). At downhill, engine "thinks" I'm gonna give throttle but only touch the excellerator. Then RPM goes higher than what you wanted and it "hangs" there for about 2~3 secs. 09 TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey/Black, Sat. DMB/Navi, 2GB memory, Rear view camera, 12 CD/MP3/DVD changer, 35% Lumar tinting, Custom exhaust tips

Post #230094 Wed Jul 08 2009 5:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1