RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > put petrol in by mistake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

terrieremery

England 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
put petrol in by mistake

never thought it could happen to me!but i was in a hurry with a lot on my mind, didnt realise until warning lights came on .got it recovered to LR they came up with around £4000 to change fuel pump,injectors fuel lines,and a few other bits.its not covered by my insurance so i guess ill just have to swallow this one unless anyones got any ideas

Post #226773 Wed May 27 2009 9:42am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Unlucky. Not much else you can do and keep your warranty. WINNER - 2008 Best All New Photograph
WINNER - 2009 Best All New Photograph

Post #226774 Wed May 27 2009 10:09am
Misery

United Kingdom 

Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Bad luck mate. I'm not sure but maybe do a search, I think someone did this a while ago and it was covered by insurance.

Post #226777 Wed May 27 2009 10:49am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
will_wonka

United Kingdom 

Misery wrote:
Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry Bad luck mate. I'm not sure but maybe do a search, I think someone did this a while ago and it was covered by insurance.

The clue was in his statement "its not covered by my insurance " Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Bad luck terrieremery, I was under the impression LR championed the filler neck that could not accept the wrong fuel........or is this only on later models ? L322 Big Daddy SUPERCHARGED 5.0 Autobiography - Here & Now!

5 series for the miles Smile

RRS S/C factory built HST - Gone

45 others have been and gone!

Post #226778 Wed May 27 2009 10:53am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

You're not the first and wont be the last. Big Cry my brother did it last year. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #226779 Wed May 27 2009 10:56am
mr_moped

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zambezi Silver

This happened to a friend of mine last month. He put £50 worth of petrol in a diesel Kia Ceed and drove down the road until the car stopped. The AA recovered the vehicle to his address and told him about a bloke that has made a business out of putting right the wrong of petrol contamination. It cost him about £150 for this bloke to call out and drain the deisel and the necassary done so the car would not of known it had happened. To this day the car is running without any problems and best of all the dealer is completely unaware of the incident and since had all warranty work undertaken without charge.

Post #226780 Wed May 27 2009 11:07am
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: put petrol in by mistake

terrieremery wrote:
never thought it could happen to me!but i was in a hurry with a lot on my mind, didnt realise until warning lights came on .got it recovered to LR they came up with around £4000 to change fuel pump,injectors fuel lines,and a few other bits.its not covered by my insurance so i guess ill just have to swallow this one unless anyones got any ideas

Do they have to 'change' it all out rather than flush? I think it was Tim that posted a link to a device to remind you each time you open the fuel flap.....

Post #226781 Wed May 27 2009 11:15am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Quote:
He put £50 worth of petrol in a diesel Kia Ceed

That double the value of that car then! Wink

There are 2 items on the market, one is an audible alert the other is a device that costs about £80 that fits on the filling tube. From what I understand is that it works but the speed of filling is greatly reduced. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #226783 Wed May 27 2009 11:26am
bex

Adding petrol to a diesel engined Kia makes it burn better in the scrap dealers Rolling with laughter

Post #226785 Wed May 27 2009 11:43am
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

At that cost would flush and fill with diesel and give it a go, nothing to lose surely, if something packs up after so be it, but to replace everything just in case is as you have found out expensive.

Was the car dead empty when filled with petrol or not?

Post #226800 Wed May 27 2009 1:44pm
hoppy_70

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

£4k to fix Shocked That seems a bit steep. I was a diesel fitter when I first left school and we used to put a gallon of petrol in with the diesel to stop it freezing up in winter (it used to be cold in winter before global warming!). This never did the vehicles any harm and even though modern cars are more electrically sensitive it's still the same fuel systems.

I did this on an audi a4 TDI, filled it to the brim with petrol. Just drained it off and refilled with diesel. I even used (and am still using 2 years later) the 'dirty' fuel in my lawn mower. Smokes a bit on start up but fine once running.

I don't understand why the fuel pump would need to be replaced? Is this, just in case it breaks at some stage because it's had petrol in??? Tosh.

If it were me i'd have drained and refilled to see what happened.

Incidentally, this is much worse to do the other way round (diesel into a petrol). Censored the cats i believe (so to speak).

£4k is mad Shocked Shocked Range Rover Sport HSE DYnamic SDV6 Velocity blue 2020 MY
Range Rover sport HSE Dynamic P400e Silver
Range Rover Sport 3.0 SDV6 HSE Dynamic 2016 MY
Range Rover sport 3.6tdv8HSE 2007 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2005 Gone
Range Rover sport 2.7tdv6SE 2007 honey
Range rover Vogue 2005 4.4 - GONE and missed
BMW 535d M sport 2006 - GONE not as missed
BMW X5 4.4 2004 sport - GONE

Post #226802 Wed May 27 2009 2:01pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

The diesel nozel at the forecourt is larger diameter than that of a petrol so rarely done the other way around. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #226803 Wed May 27 2009 2:16pm
Misery

United Kingdom 

will_wonka wrote:
The clue was in his statement "its not covered by my insurance " Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Yes I know that Censored but insurance is cover for any accident so should be covered might be worth looking at it again. You smart arsed Censored Wink

Post #226813 Wed May 27 2009 3:21pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

It seems stupid that the insurance company doesn't cover mis fueling, you can accidentally drive into a wall and have £4k of damage, but when you accidentally put the wrong fuel in your car and damage it they say your not covered.

Either way its accidental damage which you should be covered for Rolling Eyes

Threaten them with taking them to the FSA over it been a unfair claim response, worst case they have to pay out to fight the claim costing them man hours and money to do so (the Insurance company I worked for said it cost them £500 just to respond to a FSA complaint without even fighting the claim)

Post #226834 Wed May 27 2009 7:21pm
ELD70

United Kingdom 

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic31664-1...a52992abba

Post #226873 Wed May 27 2009 11:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>