RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Do we have ceramic nano-particles in our clearcoats ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Peter

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Java Black
Do we have ceramic nano-particles in our clearcoats ?

Hi guys,

I have been looking at giving my baby a good clean up as the Eastern European car washers have taken their toll on her over the winter. I have found a very interesting site on Vehicle Detailing (not that I would go to this level) but it does seem to do the job.

I was wondering if LR use the ceramic nano-particles in their clearcoats in the RRS paint process as mentioned here on the Polished Bliss site (copied below). It does seem to work !

Menzerna RD3.02 (£19.27 a litre)

Menzerna RD3.02 represents a sure sign that the winds of change are blowing in automotive clearcoat technology. In late 2005, Mercedes Benz started using ceramic nano-particles in their clearcoats and, in 2006, a number of other major European car manufacturers started using super-hard, scratch-resistant clearcoats manufactured by PPG, BASF, DuPont and Glasurit. It is important to note that these new clearcoats are scratch resistant, not scratch proof, meaning that they will still acquire defects over time if not maintained properly. The problem is how to remove such defects, as conventional polishes do not have the cutting power to remove swirls, scratches and other defects in these new super-hard coatings, which, incidentally, are elastic due to their unique structure.

In 2005, Menzerna were commissioned by Mercedes Benz to develop a new line of polishes suitable for use on their new ceramic nano-particle super-hard clearcoats. The scratch-resistant nature of these clearcoats, combined with their elastic nature, made this task particularly difficult and necessitated the development and testing of new combinations of polishing minerals (mainly aluminium oxides) and paste compounds (water-based). However, the result of this developmental work was a range of new polishes that have since been adopted at the OEM level by many major European car manufacturers and that are considered by many within the polishing industry - ourselves included - to be the most advanced automotive polishes in the world.

Menzerna RD3.02 offers owners of cars with the new clearcoat technologies a number of benefits over conventional compounds. Firstly, it will restore gloss and remove heavy to moderate swirl marks and scratches in both ceramic nano-particle and scratch-resistant clearcoats without causing hazing. Secondly, this can be achieved by either hand or machine (although machine application may be required in order to achieve full defect removal in ceramic nano-particle clearcoats). For best results, we recommend using this product in conjunction with a rotary polisher and either 3M 150 mm Perfect-it III Compounding Pads or Menzerna 135 mm Polishing Pads, or a dual action polisher and either Lake Country 165 mm CCS Technology Light Cut Pads or Menzerna 135 mm Polishing Pads.

While Menzerna RD3.02 was designed specifically for use on the recently released ceramic nano-particle and scratch-resistant clearcoats, it is also ideal for use on tougher conventional clearcoats such as those found on older Mercedes Benz, BMW and VAG models. However, users should be aware that this product has more cut than equivalent products in our standard ranges of polishes and should therefore proceed with caution until familiarity is acquired.

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/me...olish.html

or
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79859 to see a Lambo have the works done on her - 50 odd hours of cleaning by a pro! It's finally gone! Replaced with BMW 730SE in Sophisto grey Xirallic finish with Oyster (Ivory) and black interior. DAB, Climate glass, Ceramic iDrive and gear selector, power boot and iPhone Bluetooth pack - luvvin' it!

I miss my old RRS "bucket" rattling around but it just had to go!

Post #215813 Sun Mar 08 2009 10:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1