RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Numpty Tyre Q (TDV8 content)
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Theo_Pental

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Numpty Tyre Q (TDV8 content)

Hi

I totally appreciate the plethora of tyre threads on here Smile

I have a TDV8 on 20" rims running the standard Contis
They seem fine for the little time Ive had the car

OK here we go

I like the idea of a second set of rims with alternatve tyres to run when the weathers crap and also to dabble with wuss-level off roading

So:

What tyres to get?
Pirelli S&I have a loyal following here - are they really a safe option to run between Nov/Dec and March-ish and will they survive a green lane or BOAT over the summer, or is there a better compromise
I appreciate S&I tyres in general are optimised for below approx 7 degrees as opposed to snow itself and so the summer green lane adventure may not be sensible

Also what size rims to go for?
I was thinking of 19" for availability and cost reasons, are all RRS rims the same at that diameter and have I misunderstood or can I bolt them straight on as need be?

Cheers guys - compromise is the word here I suppose

To summarise

Will winter rubber survive the trip to a green lane and mild off roading in the summer?
What size rims would be the best compromise for a second set of tyres?

EDIT

My main thoughts here are that the 20" rims are delicate on anything other than tarmac which is how I came to be thinking of a spare set for the occasional trip to the country - and then I got onto the winter thing.....

Post #212313 Wed Feb 18 2009 7:56pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Theo - Off Topic (sorry) but so you've already bought your RRS? I missed that - thought you were only looking last week. What did you get - spec blah blah - good deal?

Kaine

Post #212337 Wed Feb 18 2009 9:44pm
Theo_Pental

Cheers Kaine

TDV8

Very happy

Stunning deal

Ive been blowing hot and cold having never considered this class of car before

I usually treat my cars as commodities on the whole but this one seems to have some soul

(BS finished LOL)

Post #212347 Wed Feb 18 2009 10:27pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Theo with a TDv8 you have little choice - 19" rims are the smallest you can fit and clear the Brembo front brake callipers.
I'm running mine on the Pirelli Snow and Ice on 19's at the moment but as the weather this week has been above 10c for the most part I'm off to the tyre guys on Friday to refit my 20's for running 900 miles to the south and back next week as I think on a long run and above 7c temperatures the compound may become sticky and premature wear will occur. I'm also not sure what the legal/ insurance situation would be in an accident running on the S&I tyres in consistently "warm" conditions.

If you don't mind swapping wheels when the need occurs I would suggest that buying (if you can find them) a set of Goodyear Wrangler 19" MTR's as fitted to the G4 cars and used by several people here. They might be a better line for you than S&I tyres as they are OK in snow and ice and a very good off-road tyre, the S&I tyres are not suitable for offroad - their tread pattern is 100% on road biased.. General Tire also make a tyre that works for RRS too. Unfortunately we have a lot less choice here than they have in Aus and The USA where they can get an amazing selection of 19" All Terrains and Mud Terrains that will work with the RRS. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #212387 Thu Feb 19 2009 12:13am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Theo_Pental

Cheers Tim

Much appreciated

I put the TDV8 bit in the title of the post as I thought it would be a problem as its designed for 20's

Are all RRS 19" rims the same or are some more equal than others?
I was hoping to get a set s/h from a TDV6 owner whos car wasnt wicked or slammed enough as standard and has upgraded LOL
The LR website doesnt easily say if all cars on 19s run the same rim width or not

Im also worried about insurance issues running non standard wheels too so wish to keep things as near 'factory' as possible

Thanks for the top about the Wranglers
I still cant decide if I want an off road tyre that copes with snow or a winter tyre that copes with off road

Much as I wouldnt mind swapping I suspect its the latter then I can leave it on for the UK winter and save my expensive contis for summer

Theo

Post #212390 Thu Feb 19 2009 12:35am
Tim in Scotland

Yes any RRS 19" wheel will fit but I don't know if the 19's from Disco3 will clear the brembos.

Alicatt has been running his TDv8 on the MTR's on runs from Belgium to his farm in the about the furtherest north bit of the UK as you can get - he reckons you loose a bit in fuel and there's a bit of extra road noise and of course because of the tread braking isn't as good as it is on road tyres. I don't know how well they have worn though. VA also ran his last TDv6 on MTR's in everyday motoring for a while.
The other maker who has tyres that fit RRS is Cooper, by all accounts of the Disco3 guys they are a pretty good compromise too and are easily obtained in the UK. They make a range of tyres to suit vraying amounts of offroad/onroad use too so you wouldn't need to go for the likes of the Goodyear which are 85% offroad 15% on road, but could go 75 or 65% offroad biased 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #212395 Thu Feb 19 2009 12:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Theo_Pental

Thanks again for the info

The Vredestein Wintraks caught my eye after a Google

My car, much like the US mail, must always get through thus any sneaky advantage when its cold/icy/snowy helps

However I cant find these tyres in a suitable size for a RRS alloy

Comments welcome

Post #212398 Thu Feb 19 2009 1:03am
Tim in Scotland

One thing you need to check as well when considering a tyre not mentioned in the forums is the speed/load rating.
There are loads of tyres out there that will fit a 19" wheel but 99.99% of them are not strong enough to take the 2.7tonnes that the RRS weighs and also take the speed with it. That was the problem with the original Goodyear MTR's - they were strong enough for the weight but they didn't have a high enough speed rating for the car's speed capabilities 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #212404 Thu Feb 19 2009 1:14am
Theo_Pental

More good points Tim

Is there a FAQ anywhere online, if not here, that I can check out some tyres at?

Post #212407 Thu Feb 19 2009 1:18am
Tim in Scotland

Yes - go to our sister forums for the D3 guys -
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/wheels-tyres...9e59f86f14
where they have a special section for wheels and tyres 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #212411 Thu Feb 19 2009 1:34am
swiss

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Theo_Pental wrote:
Thanks again for the info

The Vredestein Wintraks caught my eye after a Google

My car, much like the US mail, must always get through thus any sneaky advantage when its cold/icy/snowy helps

However I cant find these tyres in a suitable size for a RRS alloy

Comments welcome

Theo,

I run the Wintrak Extremes on my TDV8 for winter in 275/40 x 20. Great on and off road with snow (obviously!) and mud with no problems.

Swiss

Post #212439 Thu Feb 19 2009 10:12am
Red1903

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Java Black

Theo,

I run the same tyres as Swiss on my TDV8, click on the link and it will give you all the info on sizes etc.
Thumbs Up

http://www.vredestein.com/Banden_Bandtypes...dtypeID=59

Post #212482 Thu Feb 19 2009 1:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1