Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Tyre choice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Floydy

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 S Buckingham Blue
Tyre choice?

Hi,
Can anyone offer any advice with regards the best tyre choice for my RRS. I have standard 19" wheels with Goodyear Wrangler F1 255/50 R19 tyres that will require changing in a 3-4 months.
I have found the RRS quite 'twitchy' in the wet and cold conditions, which I am beginning to think must be down to the tyres, although reviews I have read state they are a quality all round tyre!
Has anybody had similar problems with these tyres and if so have you found a better handling tyre.

Look forward to any advice.

Floyd Thumbs Up

Post #209742 Tue Feb 03 2009 12:23pm
Leo

Kenya 

If you want a good all-round tyre then the new Pirelli Scorpion ATR in 255/55/19 has been getting good reviews.

Post #209744 Tue Feb 03 2009 12:38pm
Floydy

Thanks, I will have a look at these.

Post #209745 Tue Feb 03 2009 12:49pm
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Flloyd, the ATR is an "all terrain" tyre which combines good on road with decent off road capabilities. The F1 Wrangler is much more an onroad tyre which was actually designed to be most effective on wet roads (hence the v groove tread pattern). The standard Wrangler (ie not F1) might also suit as a good hard wearing tyre with a reasonably broad spectrum of capabilities. The Pirelli Scorpion Zero is a decent tyre in wet and dry - but seems to wear quite quickly (15,000 miles working life). Your other possibility is the Continetal, but that has virtually no offroad or snow & ice capability but ok in wet. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #209814 Tue Feb 03 2009 9:36pm
Floydy

Thanks for info.
Have you heard any feedback on General Grabber UHP, this seems to offer good value for money if you believe the blurb!
Just not got much faith in the Goodyears, like I said my RRS seems very unstable in the cold/wet but perhaps it may be down to wear (under 4mm left generally)? Info on them would suggest a very good tyre n the wet.
Pirelli Scorpion Zero ASYMMETRICO reads well.

Cheers

Post #209841 Wed Feb 04 2009 12:37am
Markos

Slovenia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Floydy as I already once said General Grabber are very good tires. Usually I do not like exotic brands but my father in law has them on his suv 20" and is very satisfied with them (also a good grip in snow). Those tiers also look very nice-profile and are going to be my next choice after my Contis are finished. 2008 RRS TDV8 HSE, Java black, Alpaca,.....

Post #209861 Wed Feb 04 2009 9:29am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The standard wheel/tyre for your car is listed in the owner's manual - you won't go wrong with any of them - it's down to personal preference basically. Before buying any tyre not listed in the manual (and remember that those are the tyres that your insurer will expect to find on the car if you have an accident) check what you are buying has the correct load and speed rating - many tyres are not strong enough for the weight of the RRS and Disco3

FYI, as far as I can see you are the first person on here to have complained of the car being "twitchy in cold and wet conditions", could it be that your tyres need to be changed now rather than in "3-4 months time" 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #209871 Wed Feb 04 2009 11:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pjb

Is it the tyres ?

Are the tyres wearing evenly, if so probably is the tyres, but sometimes if 4 wheel alignment is off it shows mainly in wet/slippery conditions.

Just a thought

Putting BFG AT's on mine, helps having 18's as I tow a caravan & horse boxes often on mud.

Got a set of 19's with normal tyres for the summer. Paul

L405 Loire Blue
Swift Conqueror 645
Abarth 500c

Post #209890 Wed Feb 04 2009 12:50pm
Floydy

Think you might be right Tim, shoulders look quite worn so think its a trip to Nene Valley tyres for me! Think I will give the Grabber UHP a go, load index is 107 which is correct and they seem good value for money, only time will tell how well they wear.

Cheers folks RRS 07 TDV6 - love it!!!

Post #210082 Thu Feb 05 2009 1:33pm
Tim in Scotland

There's a TDv6 in the village here that is used for Huntin'/Shootin' nd Fishing' and that has been run on Grabbers on non standard dished 18" wheels since he took delivery 3.5 years ago. I asked the owner about them and he has done a really huge miles on the one set of tyres - in excess of 30000 miles. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #210090 Thu Feb 05 2009 3:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Floydy

That sounds like a thumbs up then. The UHP has a far less aggressive tread pattern than the All Terrain, do you know which they are running with?
Just to confuse the issue I have been offered Goodyear Wrangler F1 as fitted at the moment for £100 each fitted. They are new tyres on demounts, seeing as the problem was probably the wear rather than the tyres this would seem a good deal. RRS 07 TDV6 - love it!!!

Post #210095 Thu Feb 05 2009 5:13pm
Tim in Scotland

What are demounts? Does it mean they are new but have been taken off another wheel. I ran the Goodyear Wranglers on my FFRR and my Freelander1 and had no complaints about them - both cars had run about 24000 miles on them when I sold the cars so don't know what their longetivity is like. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #210096 Thu Feb 05 2009 5:17pm
Floydy

To the best of my knowledge they are new wheels and tyres that have been upgraded straight from the showroom that have not seen any mileage other than delivery mileage. I too ran standard Wranglers on ny Freelander with no problem, I bought a stack of these from the main dealer on alloys that had been upgraded.
Have asked the same garage for a price on the Grabbers so will wait and see the cost comparison.
Think the Goodyears may be favourite at present, will keep a matching spare then, which is brand new. RRS 07 TDV6 - love it!!!

Post #210098 Thu Feb 05 2009 5:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1