RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > YOKOHOMA ON 20'' STORMERS FOR 1550 DOLLARS OR 900 POUNDS
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

buckblue

2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue
YOKOHOMA ON 20'' STORMERS FOR 1550 DOLLARS OR 900 POUNDS

Ok guys i need help
my wheel dealer is a good friend he has a set of replica made in italy 20'' x9.5 stormers which he will fit with brand new 275/45 Yokohama tyres for 1550 dollars
the rims will cost 650 and the tyres 900

now my worry is about the size of the tires 275/45 R20
and i know Rupert had a bad experience with changing tyre sizes
what do you guys think any risk in this??
PLEASE ADVISE

Post #204895 Sat Jan 10 2009 3:16pm
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

buckblue...you definitely need a manual as a reference guide... Very Happy Very Happy

Having said that, the size tire you mention here is the stock size for 20 inch rims from the dealer, therefore no problems. I'd be more concerned about checking the quality of your replicas to make sure they support the recommend vehicle weight.

Very Happy PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #204900 Sat Jan 10 2009 3:47pm
buckblue

the OEM for the S/C is 275/40 R20 !!
hes suggest 275/45 R20 !!

hes saying the higher sidewall will protect the rim and smooth the ride!!

Post #204902 Sat Jan 10 2009 3:56pm
PJPR01

I stand corrected - 40 is the stock size, didn't read the number correctly this morning...haven't had my Lavazza espresso yet. However, no issues with running 45 vs 40 sidewall. The choice point obviously has to do with your roads and the type of ride you want...a 40 series is going to handle much better around turns, will make the car feel more 'sporty" in its handling.

People have gone as high as 285/50/20 with no trouble but for offroading and comfort, not for handling. Very Happy

When I switch between my 20's - running Yokohama Advan S.T.'s in a 275/40/20 vs. my offroad setup of Nitto Terra Grapplers in 285/60/18, the handling difference is remarkably different...much firmer, can corner much faster, but then I limit the offroading to flat beach runs with the 20's on. PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #204905 Sat Jan 10 2009 4:04pm
buckblue

GREAT! then you've tried the yokohamas what do you think? good tire? nice handling? not too noisy?
strong sidewalls in case of bumps and dips and HOLES in our Censored roads??
i hate my standard 19's theyre so ugly
take a look at my gallery, my car is US spec by the way i shipped it from Atlanta! i hate the orange in the front lights esp at night! gonna change them have to figure out how though..

Post #204907 Sat Jan 10 2009 4:23pm
PJPR01

It's a high performance tire, so it's sticky, great for handling wet or dry, very tight on the corners, and extremely fast on the open road, makes acceleration a snap compared to the 18's...the car gets up to speed so fast with 20's on. The only complaint I have on this model Yokohama is that as you coast to a stop right at 1-2 miles an hour, it gets a bit noisy - so you hear a bit of road noise, but not bad.

I don't know how bad your potholes are in Lebanon, but I suppose your best choice is to avoid them! If you're really concerned about pot holes, then you'll want more rubber than less...but you'll have to make that call.

You should also change your orange side markers to clear or smoked, color code your door handles etc...just do a search for the forum on modifications and you'll see lots of cool ideas.

Orange in the front lights...can't help you on that one, several brave souls have taken their headlights out, baked them and then pulled the orange out...more work than I'm willing to do.

Good luck...post some nice pictures from the beach or the mountains/olive groves! PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #204937 Sat Jan 10 2009 10:19pm
buckblue

great help!
i like the last part about the pics on the beach mountains olive groves! will do!
i will go for the 20s for sure and will post pics as soon as im done with that! gonna consider the SC wheels or the stormers, 275/40 or 45 not sure on that im gonna have my tire dealer guarantee no rubbing and a nice smooth ride!

likewise concerning removing the headlights! gonna check if the actual bulb is orange then maybe i can swictch it to white Wink
personally i think the color coding will not look good on my blue just gonna get standard SC grill and vents and keep all bottom parts plastic black and the handles grey to match the sides of the grill and the vents surrond.

Will get an exhaust though im thinking LARINI it makes the best noise!

below is the link copy paste it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Larini-Range-Rover-S...240%3A1318

Post #204943 Sat Jan 10 2009 11:44pm
PJPR01

Very Happy Very Happy

That will look nice as well! Definitely post pics once you have the whole package together!

Interestingly enough, whosever RRS that Larini was installed on had their spare tire installed backwards!

The Larini is nice, it appears to have one more muffler than the Borla...but essentially a similar design. I presume it's also made of T-304 Stainless steel?

Cheers! PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #204945 Sat Jan 10 2009 11:54pm
buckblue

ya ya its t304,
i wont go for the quad exhuast look they have the same system with oval pipes, i dont like the quads theyre too sporty like for a BMW M or an AMG u know?

otherwise will work on my car slowly and will add pics of course!

i was just thinking do u get like a huge boom in the gear box when it takes off or changing from 1st to 2nd mainly this is if your a bit rough on the pedal? i hear its normal u seem to know a lot about the car so ur op is imp here!

the sound is like a rough knock but its clear its from the gearbox, my car has only 27000 miles so hopefully nothing major there

Post #204946 Sun Jan 11 2009 12:19am
PJPR01

If you are shifting roughly then you can produce some sounds that are not ideal...certainly this transmission can be driven smoothly however, and it does "learn" from your driving style. After a bit of practice, you should be able to find that "sweet spot" with the gas pedal that provides you the smoothest and fastest acceleration without any noticeable noise from the transmission.

If you smash it from 1st to 2nd at 6000 rpm's you're going to get some noise feedback however...that's normal.

Very Happy PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #204953 Sun Jan 11 2009 1:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1