RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Are you a fan of ACC ?
Is ACC any good ?
Its rubbish - never use it and never will
11%
 11%  [2]
Its great - couldn't live without it
44%
 44%  [8]
Haven't got it and wouldn't want it
27%
 27%  [5]
Haven't got it - but wish I had
16%
 16%  [3]
Total Votes: 18

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red
Are you a fan of ACC ?

That last topic on Cruise has prompted me to ask whether those who have ACC think this is a "good thing" or not ?

Initially I was rather perplexed and uneasy about using ACC and avoided it. Now though I have tried it out a number of times and am finding it a really clever and effective system. It really does look after you well and you can quite easily imagine all cars adopting something like an ACC (or a collision avoidance system) in the next 5 years or so. RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #175413 Fri Jul 04 2008 11:05pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

Whilst I voted for ACC, Smarticus must be a politician as the options are a little limited!

ACC is, on the whole, very good. It gives a nice smooth ride without over-breaking or over-accelerating; however this causes problems in heavy motorway traffic. Most drivers (including all BMW and Astramax van drivers) drive far too close to the car infront, so when the ACC is set to leave a reasonable distance between you and the next car, they pull into the gap. ACC then slows, maybe brakes slightly, to pull back and set the gap. Then another car pulls in. You end up going backwards. Also, when the car infront finally decides to pull over, the ACC is a little slow in responding so people behind think you're lane hogging.

An ideal ACC would be one that could read the road and traffic infront of the car infront. 

Post #175424 Sat Jul 05 2008 9:51am
Lookers Park Royal

I agree with Phil above. It is a fantastic system which is particularly useful whilst driving in sections of roadworks with 'Average' speed cameras as it keeps you sat nicely behind the car in front but without the fear of exceeding the limit.

In this situation I set the distance to minimum for exactly the reasons that Phil points out, however at higher speeds I don't have an issue with the distance settings.

Its a big thumbs up from me Thumbs Up

James Thumbs Up

Post #175425 Sat Jul 05 2008 10:52am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

Haven't got it but would like it.

The motorway (NOTE SINGULAR! Embarassed ) here is so quiet ALL THE TIME that I use CC whenever i'm on it. Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #175436 Sat Jul 05 2008 1:16pm
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Its a very good system which i use to stop me speeding when the motorway is empty or in the 50 zones. Not a huge fan of it when theres alot of cars around though and it has to be set at minimal distance. Much prefer to just turn it off. The engine braking is so much like a manual its much easier to just drive it.

Post #175567 Sun Jul 06 2008 11:14pm
lemm

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

when the RRS 'slows down' due to someone cutting up in front of you (with ACC on)... do the brake lights turn on at the rear? RRS First Edition S/C, Vesuvius Orange, Rear Entertainment, Alpine TUE-T200DV, Stormer Alloys. (+ 19" MTR's for playing in the snow!)

Post #175629 Mon Jul 07 2008 10:02am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PauloAmore

Scotland 

The system can and does brake hard. All the way down to 20 mph or so.
- So, the brake lights must come on IMHO.
(I've always been at the wheel so just an informed guess). 2022 P440e AB

Post #175632 Mon Jul 07 2008 10:20am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Likewise, I can only presume they must come on. It's not like normal cruise control where the car slows simply by changing the engine revs - it does jam the brakes on. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #175674 Mon Jul 07 2008 12:02pm
lemm

2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange

i can understand the brake light coming on if someone cuts you up, but what about if your cruising at 70ish Wink and the car in front is doing 65ish. At some point you'll catch up with no real need to brake, is this where engine braking occurs ie. no rear brake lights????

just wonder if the system is able to differentiate between the two forms of braking? hard/fast & gentle/slow... RRS First Edition S/C, Vesuvius Orange, Rear Entertainment, Alpine TUE-T200DV, Stormer Alloys. (+ 19" MTR's for playing in the snow!)

Post #175690 Mon Jul 07 2008 1:45pm
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I found it annoying in the way it worked.

It would constantly 'see' trucks on the inside lane and slam on the brakes, in rain, sleet and snow it failed to work at all and all in all it would have been better to have the choice to use it or switch it off and have a normal cruise control.

Needs to be more clever. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #175693 Mon Jul 07 2008 2:11pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

lemm wrote:
i can understand the brake light coming on if someone cuts you up, but what about if your cruising at 70ish Wink and the car in front is doing 65ish. At some point you'll catch up with no real need to brake, is this where engine braking occurs ie. no rear brake lights????

just wonder if the system is able to differentiate between the two forms of braking? hard/fast & gentle/slow...

I think it's clever enough to simply lift off rather than jam the brakes on if you are approaching the vehicle more slowly... but clearly if you're doing 70 and the car in front is doing 50 no amount of engine braking is going to stop you Wink Of course in the Merc equivalent it just slams into the back of the vehicle in front anyway Laughing 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #175715 Mon Jul 07 2008 4:04pm
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

yea it is quite smart. In all the times ive used it, what impresses me most is it hasnt picked up any cars not in the lane im in. Even going round bends its been pretty impressive.

The range rover sport engine braking is one of the best for an auto. The instructor when i went off roading gave me an explanation of why. Something about keeping the torque converter full?. I really think this is why i enjoy driving it so much.

The ACC picks up cars from pretty far back when cruising (little light on the left comes up) and im 95% sure engine brakes to the speed its doing if like the guys said its close to your current speed. It does definately brake when its a big difference. The funny thing is when the car infront has stopped. It gets down to like 15/20mph and beeps and displays 'Driver Intervene' then turns off Laughing . (actually not 100% sure on the whether it turns off because when i saw that i braked (which switches off the system anyways).

Post #175806 Mon Jul 07 2008 9:34pm
JGreg1

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I'm a pretty big fan of it in mine. If I had built my RRS from scratch, I'm not sure I would have ordered the ACC, since it's a fairly expensive option; also, having never driven a vehicle with this type of system previously, I just wasn't sure what the big deal was before I tried it out. But I really like it. Just something else to do a little of the work for you.

Post #175822 Mon Jul 07 2008 10:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1