RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Collapsed Intake
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

PaulB

England 
Collapsed Intake

I took my TDV8 to JE yesterday to have a few bits and boobs done, including fitting an ITG filter. When Jonathan called me to say that it was ready, he said they had also added an extra 100bhp while it was there.

About a month or so ago, I reported on here that I had experienced a drop in performance and a very strange noise which sounded very much like someone squeezing the neck of a very large balloon, whilst letting the air out. However, the problem seemed to go away and didn't return so I ididn't think much more about it.
What JE found whilst fitting the new air filter was that the rubber intake tube had completely collapsed in on itself due to the intake vacuum, severely restricting the intake capacity and therefore the performance. It has now been fixed and it feels like a different car again. Smile

Incidentally, I borrowed Jonathan's S/C while mine was in and whilst initially it felt quick after mine, once I got back into mine, having been fixed, after the S/C, mine actually felt more responsive, especially low down. The S/C has had all manner of trickery installed and from the outside, sounded terrific. Unfortunately, it resulted in a rather boomy exhaust note inside the car, which I would find difficult to live with. What I couldn't live with was the 10mpg average consumption !!!

Paul RRS TDV8 - Stornoway Grey, Irory Leather with Dark Zebrano, Privacy Glass, Tow Pack.
1967 Cobra 427 S/C
1951 Vincent Comet
2001 Harley Davidson Fat Boy

Post #168259 Fri May 02 2008 3:21pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Re: Collapsed Intake

PaulB wrote:
it resulted in a rather boomy exhaust note inside the car, which I would find difficult to live with. Paul

That's the thing that worries me about fitting a sportier exhaust - I don't want to have any more exhaust rumble in the car, as it is it is acceptable on a long drive so long as you don't keep wellying it in the outside lane, I just want everybody outside to know it's a V8 rather than those on the inside getting the boom too! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #168263 Fri May 02 2008 4:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PaulB

England 

The JE exhaust for the TDV8 works very well. You get a nice V8 growl when you put your foot down, but otherwise, it's as quite as the standard exhaust, but just looks soooooo much better Smile

Paul RRS TDV8 - Stornoway Grey, Irory Leather with Dark Zebrano, Privacy Glass, Tow Pack.
1967 Cobra 427 S/C
1951 Vincent Comet

Post #168275 Fri May 02 2008 4:37pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

PaulB wrote:
The JE exhaust for the TDV8 works very well. You get a nice V8 growl when you put your foot down, but otherwise, it's as quite as the standard exhaust, but just looks soooooo much better Smile

Paul

I agree Thumbs Up TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #168305 Fri May 02 2008 10:20pm
Cornelius Vermuyden

England 

Oh, thanks for that Paul, I'll include you in the unsolicited testimonials on the website! Laughing You'll get the LPG gasbag Focus next time. Did you ask Jonathan why it has that note (which I also dislike and I drive it more than anybody)? How many cells the cat has compared with the previous one? How many cells the standard one has?
That car is designed and engineered for performance, pure and simple, for hairy-assed journos. Customers get more refinement. Cool

Post #168423 Sat May 03 2008 11:31pm
PaulB

England 

Fair point Colin.
I did know about the exhaust and I do know that the S/C is effectively a development "mule" rather than representing an "as sold" car and I neglected to say as much.
However, I wasn't knocking the S/C, but it amply demonstrated to me what a superb product the JE TDV8 upgrade is when if feels noticably (real world) quicker than a modified S/C. Thumbs Up

1967 Cobra 427 S/C
1951 Vincent Comet

Last edited by PaulB on Thu May 08 2008 8:12am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #168650 Tue May 06 2008 8:31am
Cornelius Vermuyden

England 

np Paul Thumbs Up Looking forward to a ride in that Cobra. Smile

Post #168719 Tue May 06 2008 1:18pm
Vogue

Hi Cornelius Vermuyden,

sent you a p.m.