RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Perils of "look-alike" Land Rover/ Overfinch Wheel
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Perils of "look-alike" Land Rover/ Overfinch Wheel

Yesterday I called into a used car dealership that normally has a large selection of used FFRR's and RR Sports along with a few Lambo's and lots of Bentleys. They have had a billboard out on the main road claiming they have a large stock of new and used Range Rover, Sport and Disco3 wheels for sale at big discounts. I went in and asked what they could do a set of new 20" 10 spoke alloys for and they quoted me £1600 for 4 new ones or £900 for 4 used wheels....................... so I asked to have a look. They bought out a "new" wheel which was in box with Land Rover logos on it however what was inside was not a Land Rover OEM or Accessory wheel and on close inspection it had "Made in China" printed on the label. As far as I know Land Rover do not use any wheels made in China. The wheel looked exactly like the OEM wheels that I have on my RRS. When I looked at both the "new" and used versions of the same wheel they had no LR Logo cast into them, in fact there was nothing stamped inside the rim or on the outer edge. I thanked the guy and walked away back to my car. As I walked back I noticed that the Giverny Green FFRR Vogue they had on the forecout was on some very nice OF Supersport wheels but the front offside one was not only badly buckled over about 1/4 of the rim but it was cracked in about 6 places, so I looked at all the wheels and every one of them was badly cracked where the "spokes" meet the rim. The only marking cast on the rim was "Made In China". So guys if you are looking at aftermarket wheels be very very careful to inspect all the packaging, the rims and the markings on them........................ it would appear that there is lot of utter rubbish out there, some of which could KILL you as it patently isn't up to the job of hauling along a nearly 2.7tonne car........................... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #167160 Fri Apr 25 2008 10:20am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMart

United Kingdom 

Good one Tim,

I've been looking around for a set of 22's (vanity has got the better of me... Embarassed )

There are a few people selling used Landrover looking alloys imported from the middle east.

One chap in particular is selling them on Ebay.
All the sets I looked at from this ebay chap were overfinch and landrover copies , all with tyres of mixed parentage ....cuts / bulges etc.

ALL HAD LOAD RATINGS OF 700 TO 835 KG !!!! Shocked

I feel the purchase of these type of wheels would be foolish at best and positively dangerous at worst.

ALSO..

If we , as owners have fitted a non standard part of substandard load rating and crash the car I'm sure the insurance company would be happy and entitled to walk away??

Cracked wheels .....Scary stuff.
Big Cry Big Cry
Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #167164 Fri Apr 25 2008 10:34am
Tim in Scotland

That load rating would be OK wouldn't it as the full weight of the car is spread over all 4 wheels so 4 x700kgs is 2800kgs............................. mind you you wouldn't be able to carry any load or passengers in the car or hit any small potholes!! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #167168 Fri Apr 25 2008 10:45am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Tim, these guys who were selling these wheels... were they upfront about the fact they appeared to be fooling the public into thinking the wheels were OEM? Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #167170 Fri Apr 25 2008 11:13am
BigMart

United Kingdom 

If the vehicle type approval was done with wheels rated at 900kg (for example) then you might even fall foul of construction and use regulations ??

Any traffic coppers care to comment?

Mart Jaguar XF 3.0D Portfolio
RRS TDV6 HSE 2006 , Zermatt , Gone

Post #167183 Fri Apr 25 2008 11:35am
NickM

United Kingdom 

As you know, I have 22'' stomers on mine with Toyo - and I go by what the dealer told me, in that they were load tested - and yes there are a lot from China out there - but 2 months in - no complaints - have been looking at them closely to make sure all ok. I would hope that you're not all going to tut tyt me if it does go pete tong, but believe me there an an awful ot of people out there who think the standard wheels do not do the car justice....I have kept my 20's - in the event I need to swap them round - but the ones I have are fine.

Guy at HAWKE told me the 22'' from China only code £65 trade each!! There is a dealer in East London called Imperials, who sell most of their RRS with 22'' wheels.....

Post #167185 Fri Apr 25 2008 11:38am
Tim in Scotland

S, these guys gave the impression that what they were selling was genuine Land Rover wheels. What I would love to know is what they do with the OEM wheels that they take off the FFRR's and RRS's that they have on the forecourt because every FFRR and Sport there was on shiny new alloys, none of which were LR original designs!
Must admit that I was very taken with the unmarked but used set of 22" Tigers (I assume the were fakes as they had no markings whatsoever cast into them) - they were looking for £900 for the set of 4 including new tyres....... 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #167198 Fri Apr 25 2008 1:46pm
Pelyma

England 

I bought a set of 19" FFRR wheels from Imperials for £395 with 4 brand new tyres for my D3 Thumbs Up Long may they continue to bling new cars up!! They had a lot of RRS 19' wheels too Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #167201 Fri Apr 25 2008 2:09pm
D-Tech

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

====

Last edited by D-Tech on Tue Jan 14 2014 3:11pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #167236 Fri Apr 25 2008 4:20pm
Tim in Scotland

Unfortunately Rob there are also less than honest folks out there selling total rubbish. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #167242 Fri Apr 25 2008 4:40pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

D-Tech wrote:
Tim,

They shouldn't pass them off as LR wheels. There are some Censored wheels out there.

We sell 'lookalikey' wheels even the OverF ones, they are made alongside the OF ones in the factory. Our wheels have suitable ratings.

We make a point of advising our customers that they are suitable for onroad use only. It makes sense that a taller rim can spread the pounding load easier than a small height rim.

To maintain the overall wheel/tyre diameter the 'larger' wheels have to have low profile tyres and a lower rim. The tyre walls are therefore stiffer and will pass loads through to the rim much easier than a standard rim.

Rob

Rob, interesting that yours are made in the same factory.

How did you manage to arrange that / monitor the quality of them. 2022 P440e AB

Post #167244 Fri Apr 25 2008 4:50pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

If they have tried to pass off copys as genuine LR it maybe wise to report it to the Trading Standards.

Post #167245 Fri Apr 25 2008 5:00pm
D-Tech

==

Last edited by D-Tech on Tue Jan 14 2014 3:12pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #167248 Fri Apr 25 2008 5:11pm
D-Tech

===

Last edited by D-Tech on Tue Jan 14 2014 3:12pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #167318 Sat Apr 26 2008 2:32pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Tim,

China is the world centre of all things counterfit these days.
I agree with NPINKS - Report the shop to Trading Standards!
look at it this way, You may be saving the life of another Landy
Driver if you do!! 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #167334 Sat Apr 26 2008 5:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>