RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > still smoking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

david harvey

Spain 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue
still smoking

after re-map,still blowing back to much black smoke,any ideas,if not ,i will go back to standard bhp which would be a shame Big Cry

Post #159267 Wed Mar 12 2008 6:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

No ideas but it cannot be doing the cats and carbon particulate filters a lot of good if there is so much black stuff coming out of the back. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #159291 Wed Mar 12 2008 10:34am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

So are you saying there's more smoke since you had it upgraded? Have you taken it up with the company that did it? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #159292 Wed Mar 12 2008 10:34am
Markos

Slovenia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

You should take it back to the company who did the re-map. Because I spoke with the guys here who are doing re-mapīs and they told me that black smoke is coming out when you are over doing it. It means that they tried to put out from the engine too much HP and torque. 2008 RRS TDV8 HSE, Java black, Alpaca,.....

Post #159324 Wed Mar 12 2008 11:58am
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you have used a well known chip company, do a search under 'chipping' and you will soon come across early posts explaining why your RRS emits smoke when now it has been chipped. A faulty component is usually to blame, not the chip. The chip just highlights the problem. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Last edited by rrsjo on Wed Mar 12 2008 9:19pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #159447 Wed Mar 12 2008 7:58pm
david harvey

thanks everybody, i am taking it back to the the guys who chipped it,on monday ,i will keep you posted,it will be a shame ,if i end up back to normal ,i have enjoyed the extra power

Post #159453 Wed Mar 12 2008 9:10pm
bellautos

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

It sounds to me that they have just pushed the engine tuning a tad to far to gain the power you have got.

It may need the start of injection bringing in sooner slightly to run that amount of duration or fuel request.
Or may be just request less fuel overall.

It must be fuel related because you can get good power from these without even touching the boost pressure.
Looking at the maps in these cars there are a good few ways to make power, this seems to me like a duration or injection quantity problem.

Admitingly it is hard to say without knowing what they have changes in the mapping..

OR you have bad fuel quality in your area, this can also cause smoke even on a very good remap, due to the time it takes to burn the lower cetane fuel.

The Diesel cetane number is the key measure of diesel fuel combustion quality.
The number relates to the ignition delay/period that occurs between the start of fuel injection and the start of combustion.

Good quality combustion occurs with rapid ignition followed by smooth and complete fuel burn: the higher the cetane number, the shorter the ignition delay and the better the quality of combustion.

Conversely, low cetane number fuels are slow to ignite and then burn too rapidly, leading to high rates of pressure rise.

These poor combustion characteristics can give rise to excessive engine noise and vibration, increased exhaust emissions and reduced vehicle performance, with increased engine stress. Excessive smoke and noise are familiar problems associated with diesel vehicles, particularly under cold starting conditions.

Post #160329 Tue Mar 18 2008 12:32am
Pelyma

England 

The JCB super car that beat the landspeed record had smoke, but JCB were concerned that people would see black smoke that they put something in the exhaust which coloured the smoke white so it couldn't be seen against the white of the salt flats! Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #160492 Tue Mar 18 2008 4:19pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

On the old ships I used to sail in we used to use special sticks in the uptakes when we went to the USA so that when, on the rare occassion we made that big thick cloud after the first turn of the engine the smoke came out grey or white, never black........................... these days we have to burn mega expensive distilate low sulpher fuels instead and they just knacker the engine which is designed to run on heavy fuels, one stage out from the ground rather than lighter grades. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #160517 Tue Mar 18 2008 8:25pm
david harvey

thanks again,for the info, went back to the guys who did re-map they have ajusted it,less smoke than before,and 5% less power,why did i get involved?

Post #160523 Tue Mar 18 2008 8:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1