RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > All indications on dashboard suddenly disappeared........
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

panos

Greece 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Stornoway Grey
All indications on dashboard suddenly disappeared........

Since last Thursday, 20th Dec 2007, I am the “proud” owner of a brand new Range Rover Sport Supercharged. I ordered it in Stornoway grey color with black leather seats. The car looks amazing and I was very happy that I made the right choice….. But did I?
The happiness and joy ended one hour only after I started driving the car. I was enjoying myself driving around ( I love that sound of the engine), but suddenly all indications on the dashboard disappeared……. Initially I thought that the engine was stalled, but I quickly understood that the car was operating normally, only there were no indication on the dashboard. The engine revolutions were zero, speed was zero, no fuel, no indications on the two screens on the dashboard, no lights, no indicators….. Nothing….. It appeared that the engine was switched off, although the car was operating with no problem.
I stopped the car and tried to find out what was going on. I tried the “reset” function by locking and unlocking the doors with no success. The strange thing is that when you insert the key and you turn it, all indications appear normal (warning lights, fuel level, engine temperature, information on the two small screens), but when you switch on the engine they suddenly disappear. After approx. 20 minutes everything was normal again. All indications appeared on the dashboard and there was no problem. However, the same continues to happen every time I am using the car.
After further investigation, I noticed that when the engine of the car in warming up (approx. 1 hour driving or 45 min parked in my garage with the engine switched on) the indications on the dashboard disappear. If you switch off the engine and let it cool down for approx. 20 min, everything goes back to normal, until the engine warms up and the indication disappear again, and so on……
I would appreciate if you provide me with some technical advice. Has this problem appeared to other cars also? Is it known to Land Rover? Do you have any solution?

Post #149846 Thu Dec 27 2007 11:23am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Welcome to the forums Panos, I haven't heard of this problem before - I would recommend that with a car this new that you call Land Rover Assist (if you have them in Greece) or take the car back to the dealership. While the car might appear to be working OK, you don't know if all the safety equipment isn't being disabled..........................

I know that on the Discovery 3 people have found that if they have a failed rear brake lamp then that can cause all sorts of poor running problems but that doesn't seem to be the same with RR Sports. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #149851 Thu Dec 27 2007 11:44am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Welcome Panos - this looks as though it's some sort of wiring issue, car warms up and something shorts - car cools down and the short disappears. Tim's advice is on the button - you will need to have someone look into this asap. As you can easily reproduce the problem, it shouldn't be difficult for the service dept to troubleshoot & resolve.

Good luck and let us know what happens Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #149854 Thu Dec 27 2007 11:50am
panos

Thank you both for your input. The car is already in the dealer and I am waiting to see what they are going to say.... They claim also that there is some short somewhere..... The problem is where.....

Post #149859 Thu Dec 27 2007 11:56am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Please let us know what they find - somebody else may find the info useful. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #149862 Thu Dec 27 2007 12:12pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Hi Panos and welcome
Mine lost the right hand side of the dash after 1 hour of driving when it was new very similar to yours
It was a bad connection behind the binacle where the signals are fed into the instrument cluster.
Good luck with it You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #149922 Thu Dec 27 2007 9:32pm
cherrybay

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

welcome to the forum Panos and congets on with your car.
Please let us know what happend.
Which dealer you are using and are you happy with them ? as i will need to service my TDV8 aswell in Athens as i live in Greece in the summer.

Post #149925 Thu Dec 27 2007 10:12pm
panos

I am using the following dealer for the last 10 years for all 3 Land Rovers I had :

GAMPLETSAS ROVERLAND S.A.
Address: G. Lambraki 17
141 23 Likobrisi, Athens, Greece
Τel: +30 210 2846518
Fax: +30 210 2846520

They are located in the north suburbs of Athens. I never had any problems with them.

Post #150118 Mon Dec 31 2007 10:33am
cherrybay

Belgium 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

THNX Panos,

Post #150119 Mon Dec 31 2007 10:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1