RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Wont start
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

cowey101

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Wont start

Has anyone had any bother with their RRS starting on icy mornings. The pas 3 days it has been really icy on a morning and I have had to try about 3 times for the RRS to start!!!

Anyone had similar problem? Sad Java Black TDV6 HSE - Java Grandes Marques 1/18 - Ducati 749s

Post #148540 Sat Dec 15 2007 1:02pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Cowey this may seem a silly question but do you leave the key in position 2 long enough for the glowplug icon on the dash to extinguish?
There have been some interesting posts over on Disco3 about problems with cold starting recently here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic16749.html

This reply from 10forCash is very interesting

Quote:
10forcash wrote:
Quote:
GENERAL
The glow plug system has a glow plug installed in the inlet side of each cylinder. The glow plugs heat the combustion chambers before and during cranking, to aid cold starting, and after the engine starts to reduce emissions and engine noise when idling with a cold engine.

A glow plug wiring harness on each bank of glow plugs is connected to a separate relay and fusible link in the Battery Junction Box (BJB). The individual glow plugs are grounded through their fixing in the cylinder head. Operation of the glow plug relays is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM), which also controls the illumination of the glow plug indicator in the instrument cluster.

Each glow plug is a tubular heating element which contains a spiral filament encased in magnesium oxide powder. At the tip of the tubular heating element is the heater coil. Behind the heater coil, and connected in series, is a control coil. The control coil regulates the current to the heater coil to ensure that it does not overheat.

SYSTEM OPERATION
There are three phases of glow plug heating: Pre heating, crank heating and post heating. The ECM determines the heating times from the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT). The lower the ECT, the longer the heating times.

When the ignition switch is turned to position II, the ECM calculates any required heating times and, if heating is required, energizes the glow plug relays in the BJB. When pre heating is required, the ECM also sends a message to the instrument cluster, on the high speed CAN bus, to request illumination of the glow plug indicator. The glow plug indicator remains illuminated for the duration of the pre heating phase, or until the ignition switch is turned to the crank position, whichever occurs first. If required, the ECM keeps the glow plug relays energized during cranking and for the duration of any post heating phase.

The ECM monitors the drive circuit of the glow plug relays for plausibility of operation, continuity, and short and open circuits. If a fault is detected, the ECM stores a related fault code and permanently illuminates the glow plug indicator while the ignition switch is in position II.

The answer to your problem could well be to leave the key in position 2 for a couple of seconds longer until the bong (my 2008MY has no bongs!) or the glowplug light goes out 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #148541 Sat Dec 15 2007 1:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cowey101

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Tim thanks for reply. Yes I wait for glow plug to go out but still have probs starting. I will keep an eye on it over the next few days and see how it goes. Confused Java Black TDV6 HSE - Java Grandes Marques 1/18 - Ducati 749s

Post #148543 Sat Dec 15 2007 1:57pm
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

If the problem is limited to low air temperatures in conjunction with cold engine starting, then the most likely cause is the failure of one or more glow plugs. A quick cure if your dealer has them in stock. Gone - 2008 TDV8, Stornoway Grey, ebony, zabrano trim, TV, Tasmods, mudflaps.

Post #148570 Sat Dec 15 2007 5:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
berommen

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver

I had this problem several times with my wife's discovery 3. Frozen fuel filter was the problem.The fuell filter is not well protected for extreme cold weather.

Post #148997 Tue Dec 18 2007 11:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1