RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Chipping software
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Chipping software

I read a bit about different chipping companies and I know they read this forum.

I see that at least one of them have people traveling with a laptop to do the chipping on the road.

I was wondering, any plans to offer the software for download/CD-ROM so that one could install it on his laptop and do the chipping at home.
The package would include the software, the cable USB-Car plug and a license for a single car tied to the ECU s/n. It would then be possible to download new maps from the internet and load them at home. Would solve the problem for people not living near a chipping company and in case of LR dealer upgrading the ECU.

I have this for my Triumph Rocket III
http://www.tuneboy.com.au/

Works a charm.

What do you think? '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #133228 Thu Aug 16 2007 11:30pm
Working Dog

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 SE Chawton White

Not sure that I would recommend going down this DIY path.

We used to run Motec systems in our rally cars where we could change the fuel maps ourselves. We even got to the point of being able to change them dynamically in the middle of the competitive stage with an engineer watching the in car telemetry. Very useful tool, but in the wrong hands, engines got destroyed.

Downloading a map from an unknown source off the net gives you no comeback if someone was being malicious and your engine got toasted. At least if you went to a dealer or a business, you might have a better chance of compensation if things went pear shaped.

Just my humble opinion. Very Happy Just a white TDV8 with a few extras

Post #133230 Thu Aug 16 2007 11:49pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The problem is you would need an OBD interface unit to go between the car and the laptop. These are not cheap and can cost some times 4 times what you would pay for an-upgrade. People like Tubochip and Superchips stand on this with their reputation and give a full warranty with it. The system you use on your Triumph Rocket has far less perameters to play with. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #133264 Fri Aug 17 2007 9:14am
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Well of course you would not just download any map from anywhere on the net, few basic maps could be offered on the company site. Some others here, developed by some knowledgeable member ect., you could adapt the map for differrent configurations, filters, exhaust etc. The maker of accessories coul provvide a map for their product. Just as it happens with Tuneboy.
With Tuneboy you get a cable to connect the PC USB to the OBD.

You would be surprise to learn how much you can do with a software like Tuneboy, you can basically change any parameter you want on the ECU, Fuel for each cylinder separately, advance, throttle, speed limitation, RPM limitations and so on, anything you want.. Yes you can do a lot of damage to if you just play around.

Have a look at their site, you would be surprised.

You see one of my problems is that there is a chipping company near me, but some month ago the police went there and "asked" them to provide the names of all the customers and then went on fining fining the customers and have them to put the cars to standard.
Also if the dealer installs an upgrade deleting the chipping I would be able to put it back.

Otherwise I would have to go for an external module, which is not like chipping the ECU for what I understand.

Unfortunately the British Chipping companies do not travel to southern Switzerland it seems Sad

P.S. I have no connection with Tuneboy other than being a very happy customer. '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #133271 Fri Aug 17 2007 9:50am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

fly - its an interesting issue - I would imagine the technology becoming available for car remapping at some point in the future for sure

Post #133272 Fri Aug 17 2007 9:59am
Nutty Nige

It is already here to tell the truth. There are companies now that will sell you the gaer. Particularly Ford seems to be the norm. You get a small hand held blue box from people like Blue Streak/Standard that does the same thing so it wont be long before it is readily available. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
Audi TT

Post #133273 Fri Aug 17 2007 10:08am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Nige - sorry, I meant to say readily available

Post #133274 Fri Aug 17 2007 10:36am
Nutty Nige

No problem K
How is the wife's mini Thumbs Up You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

Audi TT

Post #133276 Fri Aug 17 2007 10:55am
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

It is quite readily available, when I inherited my brothers Scooby WRX I also got his laptop with all the ODB software and such. The Scooby had 2 maps in it's ECU and you could swap between them using a combination of button presses and full throttle (engine is not running at the time) Smile Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #133289 Fri Aug 17 2007 2:16pm
TurboD

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

This is all very technical,its hard enough to find out how to tune for TV stations never mind chipping engines Cool

Post #133293 Fri Aug 17 2007 3:14pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Nutty Nige wrote:

How is the wife's mini Thumbs Up

its superb Nige - really makes you smile everytime you drive it

Post #133294 Fri Aug 17 2007 3:20pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

Alicatt wrote:
It is quite readily available, when I inherited my brothers Scooby WRX I also got his laptop with all the ODB software and such. The Scooby had 2 maps in it's ECU and you could swap between them using a combination of button presses and full throttle (engine is not running at the time) Smile

interesting to hear - I didn't realise

Post #133295 Fri Aug 17 2007 3:21pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I suppose that's a slightly less polished version of something like the M button in the M5/M6... moving from one set of engine/throttle characteristics to another at the press of a button Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #133296 Fri Aug 17 2007 3:27pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1