RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > TICKING/TAPPING ENGINE NOISE AT COLD START UP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

CASANOVA

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zermatt Silver
TICKING/TAPPING ENGINE NOISE AT COLD START UP

Does anyone had experienced ticking or taping noise (possible valve tapping) on cold start up? When I start my 07 HSE RRS in the morning I hear a tapping/ ticking noise and then it goes away when its warmed up. Is this normal? I only have 1400 miles on it. "DESTINY IS NOT A MATTER OF CHANCE ITS A MATTER OF CHOICE"

Post #107967 Thu May 10 2007 5:21am
pokerplayer

Re: TICKING/TAPPING ENGINE NOISE AT COLD START UP

CASANOVA wrote:
Does anyone had experienced ticking or taping noise (possible valve tapping) on cold start up? When I start my 07 HSE RRS in the morning I hear a tapping/ ticking noise and then it goes away when its warmed up. Is this normal? I only have 1400 miles on it.

Your car is fine JC Very Happy WAT UP WAT UP????

N6MDZ

Post #107969 Thu May 10 2007 6:34am
geezo

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

TICK TOCK.....Had the same concerns myself but apparently all is well RRS HSE 06

M REG LANDCRUISER
Audi TT Quattro s/tronic convertible 2008
Range rover Vogue 3.2v8 2007..

Post #108071 Thu May 10 2007 4:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CASANOVA

WAT UP, WAT UP MIKE! Very Happy .

Is that normal sound like valve tapping? Anyway, I will take you word for it. Next time the pics will be a different vehicle. See at the meeting.

Geezo, I guess you had the same concern did you get it checked and they said it's normal? Do you have a Gas or Diesel engine? I have a gas 4.4L engine and its concerning but as pokerplayer said it is normal.I will take his word for it. "DESTINY IS NOT A MATTER OF CHANCE ITS A MATTER OF CHOICE"

Post #108307 Sat May 12 2007 7:24am
CASANOVA

Just a follow up. I am schedule to take my RRS to the dealer to check the tapping noise. I will keep you posted. One dealer said they cannot hear it (I am not sure if they are paying attention to the noise). I need a second opinion. "DESTINY IS NOT A MATTER OF CHANCE ITS A MATTER OF CHOICE"

Post #110342 Wed May 23 2007 5:56am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Dealers are known for having very poor hearing.... don't let them fob you off. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #110357 Wed May 23 2007 10:00am
CASANOVA

After two dealership and three diagnostics, they found the problem! It's the VALVE LIFTERS! Now, the question is does an AJ-V8 Jaguar engine have valve lifters when it says DOHC? Where is it located?
Sorry for such a stupid question but can anyone give more details please.

Here is a link of a pic of a DOHC engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:DOHC-Zylinderkopf-Schnitt.jpg

I see don't any lifters. I see a cylinder between the valve and the cam, can that be it? Do they need to remove the cylinder head to get to the lifters? "DESTINY IS NOT A MATTER OF CHANCE ITS A MATTER OF CHOICE"

Post #121480 Fri Jun 29 2007 8:21am
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Look at your picture where you see the valve spring. Up above you see a cylinder shape with a slot in it and the one on the left has a small hole (oil feed hole). These are Hydraulic Camshaft Followers. (valve lifters) They take up the tappet clearence between the valve and the camshaft by being fed with hydraulic oil pressure from the sump. Look at the one on the right and you see a slot on the right going to the slot on the valve lifter, then look on the left and you see the small hole where the oil enters the valve lifter via the slot in the cylinder head. When the engine is switched off and standing over night the oil can tend to drain back to the sump overnight. When you start the vehicle up next morning it takes a few seconds to get the oil pressure up there and then fill the followers full of oil. The ticking noise is the clearence between the valve and camshaft before the full oil pressure arrives. It will have none return valves etc in the engine to reduce the fall back flow of the oil into the sump when the engine stops. The whole thing is relevant to different temperatures and climates obviously because of the thickness of the oil, - hotter operating temp the thinner the oil gets.
The obvious way to cure it would be replace the full set of cam followers because examination with the eye does not normally tell you. . To do this you need to take the camshafts off the cylinder head. Look in your picture and you will see the top half of the bearing holding the camshaft bolted down onto the cylinder head.
The oil pressure on the engine and how quick it comes up when cold would be the first thing to check, it may be a simple pressure contrl valve fault.
You may find that in your climate you need a different grade of oil to help it. You might also find that once you fit a new set of camshaft followers that the symptom returns after a short time. Some engines are down to individual design and they have the ticking on cold start up without any possible rectification. It does not do any long term damage but it does not sound nice when you have paid a lot of money for the car.
Hope this helps. Wink You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #121481 Fri Jun 29 2007 8:56am
CASANOVA

Nutty N, thank you for the information and it helps, I appreciate it.

I just hope that they don't screw up putting it back together. I will post the outcome once I get my vehicle back.

P.S

I just hope the design of the AJ-V8 is the same principle as the one the picture. It worries me that if they have to remove the cylinder head from the engine block to remove the lifters this my cause loss of compression if it is not assembled back well. It's no longer factory sealed Sad "DESTINY IS NOT A MATTER OF CHANCE ITS A MATTER OF CHOICE"

Post #121496 Fri Jun 29 2007 10:16am
Nutty Nige

No C you only have to take the camshafts off the top to do it, you dont split the head gasket. You just need to hope they get the valve timing right when they re-assemble it - that is all that can go wrong really. The reason for the design is putting the camshaft directly over the valve is quick and simple engineering compared to using rocker shafts etc. Then you only get 2 efficient ways of controlling the valve clearences - you put a solid bucket over the top of the valve with a shim on top which has to be adjusted through the service life of the engine with alternative sizes of shims, (extra time and srevice costs to the customer)or the second way which you have and control it with hydraulic camshaft followers. - (No maintenance and it will normally lasts the warranty period without trouble, then your on your own) The only thing you need to know is CHANGE THE OIL TWICE AS OFTEN AS LR RECOMMEND, because once the dirt and sludge get into the follower you can't get it out. This will keep the camshafts and followers in good working order

Good luck with it Thumbs Up You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
Audi TT

Post #121501 Fri Jun 29 2007 11:07am
CASANOVA

Got it Nutty N, thanks a lot I appreciate. That really brightens up the day. Lets just hope they don't screw up anything else Mad "DESTINY IS NOT A MATTER OF CHANCE ITS A MATTER OF CHOICE"

Post #121535 Fri Jun 29 2007 3:13pm
CASANOVA

Here is the update. After 21 days in the shop, new valve job and tappet replacement, the tapping noise had disappeared. However, another issue has risen, on warm up coming down from high rpm start up, the engine vibrates and then settles. The never ending issue of my RRS continues. Oh boy... Crying or Very sad "DESTINY IS NOT A MATTER OF CHANCE ITS A MATTER OF CHOICE"

Post #125494 Sat Jul 14 2007 5:36am
canaryman

Germany 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Cairns Blue
cure for ticking noise

I had a ticking noise on my TD V6 when it was cold. Foot on brake, shift to drive or reverse with foot still on brake and the noise was quite loud (Loud, rhythmic, metallic noise coming from the front right side of the engine). Lasted about 2 minutes whilst driving and the noise accelerated and decelerated according to the car speed.

It turns out that it was a couple of pulleys on a belt (do not know which one) that had dirt in them and needed cleaning up and lubricating. I was told on the discovery, it can be extremely loud but is cured as easily. Apparently it is due to the "toothed belt" banging on the pulley wheels and that when it first happens, quite a few people think they need a new engine but are relieved to find out it it a 2 minute problem to fix Thumbs Up

Post #174612 Fri Jun 27 2008 11:06am
Nutty Nige

Occasionally you get a pulley that has a hairline crack in the middle section. Then you will get the ticking all the time - its like a cracking noise. As you say the toothed belt design helps amplify the noise. You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

Audi TT

Post #174708 Fri Jun 27 2008 9:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1