RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Off Roading and 22's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

You can't yet get the Compomotive 18s in the US? These do fit round the Brembos. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #160497 Tue Mar 18 2008 4:29pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Yes, now you can. Still, the Comps are over $500 a pop here by the time you figure duties and exchange rate (probably more now that the US$ has gone further down the toilet), so it becomes almost as expensive as buying an extra set of Stormers for offroading purposes! Laughing 

Post #160498 Tue Mar 18 2008 4:32pm
dcc

Guernsey 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Off Roading

I have been looking at this exchange and I would like to ask for some asistance.

Perhaps foolishly I have joined a trip to Morocco in September beleiving my RRS TDV8 HSE 2008 model can cope with the terrain which I believe will be sand, rocks, gravel, etc. I am told the original wheels and tyres which are 275/40/R20 are unsuitable but Land Rover insist they are fine. Can anyone confirm this?

Assuming the originals are unsuitable I have yet to find any alternative wheels - preferably ones that require no modification, since the brakes are, I understand, larger in my model than the TDV6.

It has been mentioned that the Disco 3 19" wheels will fit. Does anyone know if this is correct? Is there any other alternative as I would prefer 18".

I have been going round the houses with this one. I have no technical knowledge unfortunately.

Thanks.

Post #174106 Mon Jun 23 2008 9:00pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Get a set of 19's with Goodyear MTRs - that's what I have and you'll be fine with them. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #174107 Mon Jun 23 2008 9:09pm
ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Im glad i didnt get my 22's. Tong would have been alot more amusing Laughing.

Post #174174 Tue Jun 24 2008 11:46am
Rupert

Ireland 

Very Annoyed wrote:
Get a set of 19's with Goodyear MTRs - that's what I have and you'll be fine with them.

Resurrecting an old thread here I know, but just to ask……

The 255/55 19 MTR’s are a slightly higher profile than the “normal” 50 profile fitted to the RRS 19” rims. How does this affect speedometer readings etc ???

I’m currently looking for a set of milder off road tyres than MTR’s for my 19” rims, but none seem to exist in a 50 profile. Hence the question !

Post #187109 Sun Sep 07 2008 9:16pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Rupert - I ran my TDv6 SE offroad quite a bit on the standard factory issue 18" wheels shod with Continental M&S tyres. I didnt' do any really serious mudplugging like VA does with his and the only time the Contis were less than good was when I was driving on grass streaming with rainwater run-off. The 18" wheels and tyres have a higher still profile than the 19's and you can get General Grabber AT2's to fit quite a bit more easily than 19" Goodyear MTR's 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #187112 Sun Sep 07 2008 9:34pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lespes

Guernsey 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Would think that running 22's with 7-10psi as required for sand driving is going to be your problem and is why Trailmastrs have advised not use them.

I have fitted 18 inch and run general grabber AT2, but as you have the brembo brakes will not fit yours, but 19 inch rims will, which are fitted as standard to V6 HSE Sport and were to be found on e-bay quite cheap as everyone going for bigger rims. The higher profile will effect your speedo reading and you will need 5 rims as the rolling radius is different to the standard 19inch profile.

Post #187119 Sun Sep 07 2008 11:54pm
umbertob

Rupert wrote:

The 255/55 19 MTR’s are a slightly higher profile than the “normal” 50 profile fitted to the RRS 19” rims. How does this affect speedometer readings etc ???

The larger circumference of the 55 profile will affect things such as speedo reading and mpg computations, but only minimally (about 3% or so.) When your speedo reads 65 you'll really be going about 67 mph, that difference would be hardly noticeable even for a radar gun! If you are looking for a less "aggressive" 19" than the MTRs for on and relatively mild off road use that does not involve lots of mud and sharp rocks, here in the US Pirelli now sells a 255/55R19 version of its Scorpion ATR, an all-terrain design with a more street friendly tread, better speed rating and probably quieter ride than the Wranglers, yet like the MTRs it still offers some desirable extra sidewall and ground clearance compared to the stockers when you take her off road. And you will be able to carry a full size 5th tire in the spare wheel well without any fitting problems. Not sure if that size Scorpion ATR is available in Europe, as in the US it was introduced only this year. 

Post #187125 Mon Sep 08 2008 6:22am
Pelyma

England 

The biggest problem will be tyre wall strength, stones will slash the road tyres badly, you also will struggle to lower pressures on a 20" tyre. The G4 cars have the MTRs fitted I believe. Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #187151 Mon Sep 08 2008 8:57am
Rupert

Ireland 

Tim

I was hoping not to have go down the 18" route & instead put a slightly more aggressive tyre on the 19” rims than the “very street” tyres that came as standard. I won’t be making planned off road excursions, so having a set of off road wheels & another set for road use, won’t really work for me. What ever tyre I choose will have to do for road use, just as much as off road.

Agree though that there are good options available in 18’s.

umbertob

Yep, Pirelli do have the ATR in 255/55R19 111H here in Europe. I’ll have a look see around to find out what sort prices etc, can be got.

Thing is though, that while a tyre may be available in the UK or Europe, we here in Ireland always draw the short straw in terms of availability compared to other markets. If a particular item isn’t a great seller here, the main importer wouldn’t even be bothered to bring in a set & just fob you off by saying that it’s not available.

They’d rather not make a sale, than disturb themselves making the effort to get you something you wanted Rolling Eyes

But anyway I’ll do my research.

Last edited by Rupert on Mon Sep 08 2008 9:23am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #187154 Mon Sep 08 2008 9:19am
Pelyma

England 

Rupert speak to AJS Tyres on the D3 site they will probably be able to help Porsche Cayenne S Diesel 66 Plate

Post #187155 Mon Sep 08 2008 9:23am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yep, they're a sponsor here too Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #187157 Mon Sep 08 2008 9:28am
Rupert

Ireland 

Will do Thumbs Up

Unfortunately though it looks like there’s not really any off-road biased tyre available for a 19” rim in a 50 profile.

Post #187161 Mon Sep 08 2008 9:47am
umbertob

Rupert wrote:

Unfortunately though it looks like there’s not really any off-road biased tyre available for a 19” rim in a 50 profile.

Even if there was, a 55 sidewall would make more sense. 

Post #187246 Mon Sep 08 2008 4:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>