RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Roading & Green Laning > Off Roading and 22's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

ViewWise

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Off Roading and 22's

Just wondering exactly HOW useless are 22's off road? 2" bigger rim alot less tyre is obviously a bad combo for off roading. I have no experience at all off road though and just interested in really where having 22's would become dangerous in off road conditions.

I ask because although im keeping the regular 20's in the garage should i need them for any uk fun. If im half way accross europe and decide im bored of tarmac. Just curious to know how well the range could handle snow/sand with 22's on it.

Alfie.

Post #159982 Sun Mar 16 2008 3:15pm
NickM

United Kingdom 

Hey VW - i have always been told you're more likely just to damage the wheel offroad as opposed to anything else - I have just had 22 put on my car - but not sure if I'll ever get it off road.....

Post #159985 Sun Mar 16 2008 4:17pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I believe the problem is the low sidewall, it is easily detached from the rim and also offers no protection to the alloy. RRUK got his 20" S/C wheels very badly scratched just driving across a field to go shooting...................
Those of us who off road now and again have a set of 19" wheels with MTR's or a set of winter tyres on them that have a much higher sidewall and also means the nice 20" wheels stay nice. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #160004 Sun Mar 16 2008 5:53pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ViewWise

Interesting!, So i should still be able to have some basic fun if i get the 22's providing there not too many bumps around. I think ill need to have a go in one of those experience day cars before i even risk taking mine off road properly on the 20's Smile.

Post #160084 Mon Mar 17 2008 1:02pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Yep, always worth getting yourself on an LRE. When you do, make sure you upgrade to the full day - the halfday is nothing more than a quick tootle around. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #160085 Mon Mar 17 2008 1:03pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

ViewWise - if you have 22's I really wouldn't do any off roading with them at all - you will knacker the wheels. You have 2 1/2 ton of car bouncing up and down on your wheels with very little give in the tyres. You will knacker the wheels & tyres. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #160093 Mon Mar 17 2008 1:09pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

ViewWise wrote:
Interesting!, So i should still be able to have some basic fun if i get the 22's providing there not too many bumps around.

But one hard bump is all it may take to ruin your expensive investment. As far as offroading goes, I wouldn't risk a 22" on anything more than a short gravel driveway, and that gravel better be smooth as silk! A set of four, used 18" or 19" wheels with serious all-terrain or not-so-serious (AKA the stock Contis) street tires sometimes costs less than a single "designer" 22" rim out there. And that size and extra sidewall it comes with will allow you to explore so many more places without worrying about that one sneaky little bump that creeps up on you when you're not paying attention. Wink In your situation, if there is a remote possibility that a trip could take you to some place off road, even just snow or sand or a dirt road, IMHO you should at the very least put your stock 20s back on. But hey, if you are going to be off road on your 22s, make sure you bring your camera! Nobody will believe you if you and your wheels make it back in one piece. Very Happy 

Post #160336 Tue Mar 18 2008 4:01am
Alicatt

Belgium 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

It only took one drive across a smooth hillside and my 20" were all scratched Big Cry car was only hours old too Big Cry Big Cry Big Cry
now got a nice set of 19" wheels shod with Goodyear 255/55 R19 MT/R and now no problems off road and still got the 20" for the road Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Sons of dogs come hither and get flesh
Clan Cameron

Post #160339 Tue Mar 18 2008 9:01am
Tim in Scotland

I never bothered to change the 18" wheels/ tyres on the TDv6SE that I had, it went everywhere I took it with no fuss and only minimal scratching on the stock LR OEM wheels shod with Continentals. The only thing the Conti's didn't like was very wet grass and snow, but mud and sand they could handle OK.

I now have a set of 19" TDv6 HSE wheels shod with Pirelli Snow and Ice tyres for the winter and gentler offroading.
The TDv8 I have now is relegated to hard track driving only. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #160391 Tue Mar 18 2008 10:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ViewWise

Thanks for the advice!, Ill keep that camera at hand if im feeling stupid Laughing .

So how much do the stock 20's weigh? (im thinking maybe i should just carry them in the boot!)

Also im seeing you guys recomend even smaller rims than the stock 20's. Tyres are NOT an issue for me since were in the trade. So can i just wrap some nice rubber around the 20's to make them alot better offroad? I figure this is cheaper (and should i scratch them over time a refurb of all 4 come sell time should cost about the same as a set of 19's would have).

Post #160421 Tue Mar 18 2008 12:55pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Trouble is there is less choice in decent offroad tyre when you start to get to 20s.... you can pickup 18s/19s fairly easily. If you're in the business maybe you can pick and choose from the wholesaler.... ? 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #160422 Tue Mar 18 2008 12:56pm
Tim in Scotland

IIRC there are no offroad tyres on the market yet that are bigger than 19" and still suitable for the load/ speed rating of the RRS - the only brands so far seem to be General Grabber AT2's and Goodyear Wrangler Mud and Snow and Goodyear Wrangler MTR's 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #160439 Tue Mar 18 2008 2:02pm
umbertob

Cooper (Zeon LTZ) and Nitto (Terra Grappler) make good all-terrain tires for 18 and 20" wheels, at least here in North America. For 20s in particular, see this thread: http://rangerovers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18663 

Post #160446 Tue Mar 18 2008 2:23pm
Tim in Scotland

Umbeto how do the wheels in the pics clear the bodywork when the suspension is lowered or springs get compressed. From those pics it looks like there is minimal gap between the rubber and the wheelarch.................. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #160452 Tue Mar 18 2008 2:44pm
umbertob

Tim, I don't run on 20s so I can't speak for drevs' experience, but the overall diameter / circumference of those Cooper LTZ 285/50/20s he has is about the same as the 285/60/18s on my car. With my 18s, there is very minimal rubbing under full compression on the forward part of the rear wheels and at full steering lock on the front wheels. Nothing major, only visible "damage" is a couple of small wear marks on the plastic liner of the wheel wells. The speedo will be off about 8%, though. That's an acceptable compromise for all that extra sidewall, especially here in the US where the 19s GY MTRs still cannot be found anywhere and owners of Brembo equipped RRS are stuck with their 20" rims. 

Post #160495 Tue Mar 18 2008 4:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>