Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Tyres and not the Conti's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Tyres and not the Conti's

Tried posting in the other area's, but no response:

Anyone down under tried anything else apart from the Conti Cross Contacts on 18's and with a bit more off-road capability. I notice that the Goodyear MTR's do not seem to be available down here to replace the cross contacts (on 19"s not 18's). The Coopers are just shy on the load rating, T rather than V, and no doubt 3 KM's could make the difference if it came to an insurance claim.

Looking for any advise here as one of the cross contacts is on the way out and need to think about replacement very shortly

Thanks

Jim Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #149665 Mon Dec 24 2007 12:03pm
stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

Merry Christmas Jim

I've decided to get a set of General Grabber AT2s for the RRS when the Goodyears need replacing (unless I can pick up a set of 17" wheels from a Disco3 to put some MTs on.

They come in both 255/60/18 (Disco3 size) and 255/55/18 (RRS size). The pattern is VERY close to a BFG AT. Surprisingly, the 55s are cheaper than the 60s and their availability is better. Several mates have these on the D3s and are happy. Only minor increases in noise but much better offroad. Also, in discussing with Graeme Cooper in Sydney (LR Service guy) he said that he has many customers who have fitted the AT2 All are happy and there have been no bad reports.

Some more info is at:
http://tinyurl.com/2gkvrt

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #149735 Tue Dec 25 2007 1:15am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zilch

Steve, many thanks and a merry xmas to you and a happy new year..is it snowing yet in Canberra Thumbs Up

It is a bit grey here this xmas morning in not so Sunny Sydney, just like the UK

Looking at one of the 4x4 Tyre Websites, the AT2's seem to have sufficient load and speed rating 109H, i hear some insurance claims companies are sniffing around and looking closely at any non-dealer supplied if there is a prang, and what to make sure i am fully covered if there any misfortunes in the future.

Any ideas of prices at the moment ?

Many thanks

Post #149738 Tue Dec 25 2007 2:29am
stephenw

Jim, we are currently in not so sunny QLD. It's around 22C so is nice and cool which is unusual - normally quite hot up here over Xmas. We'll be back home next week and the temps are due to hit the low thirties in CBR so we plan to drag the boat over to the coast and scare some fish. The RRS is just great for doing the 2400km return trip from QLD.

As for price for the AT2s, I can't remember the exact price for the 55s, but they were sub $300ea. They seem like quite good value.

Post #149739 Tue Dec 25 2007 6:22am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zilch

Steve have a great time scaring the fish... Off down to the Great Ocean Road and the Coonawarra for New Year, some serious K's as well, have a guess at the KM's on the off topic thread and i might supply a few bottles of the nice stuff..

Meeting up with Ivery and Working Dog at the Snowy mountains to try and get some good RRS and landscape shots in Thumbs Up

Have a good one

Post #149741 Tue Dec 25 2007 9:49am
Sniegy

Australia 

Hi Zilch,
I will agree with what Steve has said, I have a friend who has a RRS with the D3 sized tyres on as he does heaps of offroading with his machine, He chose the AT2's as well after i advised they were available.
I also have lots of customers who have the AT2's as well, getting excellent reports from them also.
Just advise your insurance company of what tyre u have & as long as they have it on the books no problems.
I also used to run them on my D2. I now run MTRs, but a little harder to get for the RRS.
Enjoy the great Ocean Rd Smile 01 D2 Bonatti TD5
"Wish List" - TDV6 Sport Tonga with Alpaca.

Keep Smilin' Pete.

Post #149742 Tue Dec 25 2007 9:59am
PJPR01

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Cairns Blue

Lots of us in the U.S. are running Nitto Terra Grapplers in a 285/60/18 configuration, and also more recently the Cooper Zeon LTZ as well in the same size. Both have excellent off road capability, are quiet on road, and offer a long road life. Feedback from members of the group are that the Coopers are slightly quieter on road, I believe they are also 9 lbs heavier from the last time I checked, but you could validate that at time of purchase as well.

If you want to see pictures of these in action, cruise over to www.rangerovers.net and search through some of the threads (Big Bear) and others.

Good luck. PJPR
Cairns Blue HSE
180k Miles of Adventure

Post #149761 Tue Dec 25 2007 7:35pm
stephenw

Jim, you will love the Great Ocean Road. We did this in Sept this year and really enjoyed the trip. Many great photo opportunties to be had. Left arm did suffer some bruising from the auto speed controller that sits in the left hand seat. We then headed over to Kangaroo Island a few days. The wildlife over there is quite spectactular.

Pls post some of the images of your meet up with WD and Ivery.

Post #149765 Tue Dec 25 2007 11:10pm
Zilch

Steve will most definitely post some pictures, not only doing the GOR but also the Snowy mountains

Thanks to all for posting, i will no doubt have to look at replacing the tyres in the next few months and will make some enquiries in regard to the AT2's

Thanks

Post #149769 Wed Dec 26 2007 12:36am
Rangie

Australia 

Hi Zilch

I am running 17 inch performance wheels. To get them to fit the Rangie they has to machine the centre bore and the studs (The rangie is a 5 x 120 PCD with a similar offset to holden commodore.) It then gave me a wider variety of tyre to choose from.

I had the Cooper STT's on (as seen in the Rhino rack brochure) but they got too niosy on the road. I am now running Yokohama Geolander G012's and they are great on and off road. I think i will go to the cooper STC's next... only for better mud clearing capabilities.

I had them fitted in Blacktown if you need any details email me at rangie@australia4wd.com Ben

Post #150147 Tue Jan 01 2008 1:20pm
Zilch

Just got back from the GOR, the conti's basically ended in the skip at 39KM, they should be good between 70-80K, the front one's lost 25-30% of the total tread on the inner, the worst being down to the banding, i will be speaking to the dealer about the wheel alignment post the steering rack change, the OSF wheel was basically being partially dragged by the rest of the vehicle for the last 2000 KM's. I had to run a Wrangler and Conti on the rear and move the original rears to the front to get me to the nearest large populace where we could get the parts, basically the back-to-fronts ended up illegal within 800 KM's. This was eventually fixed by a local tyre company in Melbourne (set of Goodyear Wrangler All weather (use to be known as HP's M+S), used laser geometry and had the settings on the computer for the LR (now as it should be), i seriously think they had more nonce than the LR dealer

Oh and the best, the vehicle had 18 inch wheels all round, the spare was a 19 inch Conti, with a 50MPH/80KMH max wheel, so i could not even use the spare tyre if i had a blow out or had to replace.. great one Landrover Thumbs Up Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #150457 Fri Jan 04 2008 1:10pm
Zilch

The offending Item

Couple of Pics of the OSF

The inside was totally scrubbed, and the NSF was only in a little better condition.. the dealer had a 2nd hand Wrangler to get us on our way Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #150552 Sat Jan 05 2008 1:48am
stephenw

Censored . Why is that Land Rover vehicles always seem to be let down by the service side of the house.....

Anyway, I hope you had a great time on the GOR. Was the weather a bit warm??

Post #150555 Sat Jan 05 2008 6:53am
Zilch

stephenw wrote:
Was the weather a bit warm?? Steve

Steve a tad on the warm side at times

That was new years eve when we hit the Coonawarra, the GOR was great, but slightly spoilt by the number of flies, hordes of the little Censored this year..I will post some pictures along with the Berrick and Pete off road day later today.

Cheers Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #150557 Sat Jan 05 2008 8:01am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Shocked Shocked

Maybe we should start a "car showing the highest/lowest temps" thread Wink 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #150678 Mon Jan 07 2008 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>