RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Tyres and not the Conti's
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Thumbs Up excellent idea, I reckon Sportsman may win on the hot side, it must average 50C in the Middle east, and perhaps aljo if he is still hiding from his girlfriend in the antartic Whistle Laughing still need the proof by seeing the -50C

Do you like the partial slicks, new range of Conti tyres Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #150681 Mon Jan 07 2008 10:39am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

...for those days on the racetrack with your RRS Laughing 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #150683 Mon Jan 07 2008 10:47am
apollogod

Australia 

From my experience with now 3 current shape Landrovers and Range Rovers I would only recomend Coopers. Load index and speed ratings are two different items, one measures overall load and the other velocity, speed. The coopers have the highest load rating of any tyre I have seen. I fitted coopers HT-Plus 260/65 to both RR MY03 and LR3 MY05. This tyre has outperformed any oem tyre I have ever driven on any car. The breaking distances have fallen, both cars cornered better and both outperformed the previous tyres off road. I should also mentioned that they outlasted the oem spec tyres. Forget the hype about euro spec buy the coopers.

Post #164105 Tue Apr 08 2008 11:31am
Zilch

apollogod wrote:
. Forget the hype about euro spec buy the coopers.

afraid the Conti's gave up the ghost on the Great Ocean Road trip at xmas, so a bit late for the coopers. I ended up with Goodyear Wranglers all round, not my first choice but all i could get my hands on at the time..Oh and the difference on setup at the time. I believe the tolerance on the computer geometry stated it was 1 degree 11 minutes toe for Disco3/RRS, mine was set at 11 degrees toe, hmm someone screwed up somewhere post the Steering rack change..just try getting the stealers to admit it Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #164107 Tue Apr 08 2008 11:44am
2nd Rower

Australia 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Chawton White

Would like to resurrect this post for some up to date info if possible...

I've had an interesting day off road which culminated with me suffering three big tears in the side wall of the driver's side front tyre.. Big Cry So I need a new tyre and can either just replace the tyre like for like, and to this end does anyone know where and and at what cost is a good place in Melbourne to get a new Goodyear Wrangler 255/55/R18?

The other option I want to look at now that I have lost one tyre (and dependent on cost) is getting 5 new off road tyres. So I am keen to understand anyone's upto date experience/recommendations of said tyres are; and what sizes whould I be going for on my 18" factory rims - Should I stay at 255/55/R18 or goto 255/60/R18?? Please note that most of my driving will still be the tarmac commute to work so something that suits that also would be what I am seeking..

Post #173909 Sun Jun 22 2008 12:38pm
2nd Rower

Just been quoted the following by the stealer:

Goodyear Wrangler F1 (what I have currently) $460.00 each

General Grabber AT2 $375 each!

Thud

Post #173942 Mon Jun 23 2008 4:07am
Zilch

2nd Rower wrote:
Just been quoted the following by the stealer:

Goodyear Wrangler F1 (what I have currently) $460.00 each

General Grabber AT2 $375 each!

Thud

2nd attempt at posting, i had all 4 conti's replaced with Wranglers whilst on the great ocean road trip. Had them done at Bentleigh tyre centre on Centre road, Bentleigh next to the United Service station, $425 dollars per corner, balanced and fitted.

Might be worth giving them a try Thumbs Up Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

Post #173949 Mon Jun 23 2008 5:56am
2nd Rower

Thanks Zilch,

If I go like for like then will give them a shout!

Am seriously considering some all terrain tires as looks like I'll be doing more off road stuff, and although the Goodyear Wrangler F1's were okay right up until the rock took out the side wall I'd like to have a little more grip on the slippy stuff if possible.

What miffs me right now is that tirerack.com can do the General Grabber AT2's for USD$166 each. With the AUD to USD exchange rate at ~0.95 someone somewhere is profiteering! I need to find a cheap way of shipping from US to Aus - can anyone help with ideas?

I used to ship the tires for my Lotus Esprit from tirerack.com to the UK, and after shipping and duty they were still cheaper than I could buy them locally in the UK if the size could be found! Oh to have the consumer pricing the US get!

Post #173950 Mon Jun 23 2008 6:06am
2nd Rower

stephenw wrote:

I've decided to get a set of General Grabber AT2s for the RRS when the Goodyears need replacing (unless I can pick up a set of 17" wheels from a Disco3 to put some MTs on.

Steve - did you get around to replacing the Goodyear's yet and if so what was you final replacement flavour of choice did you get the AT2's?

Post #173951 Mon Jun 23 2008 6:56am
stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

A couple of weeks back I put a set of Pirelli ATXs on the vehicle. From all the reports from the US, they are supposed to be OK on both tarmac and off-road. Cost about $400ea fitted (but I didn't shop around either). Details are http://users.tpg.com.au/adslcuwf//ATR.pdf Size was 255/55/18

Initial impressions.

Very quite - similar to the Goodyear F1s (I was surprised)

Initial turn into corners - much better than the F1s (didn't expect this)

In wet weather - grip not as good as the F1s and much more tendency to aquaplane. The F1s were very good in the wet.

Grip on the limit - not as good as the F1s (I have a favourite round-a-bout in Canberra that is entertaining!)

Off Road - can't comment yet though the tyres seem to 'bag' less at the same pressure so I guess the side walls may be prone to less damage.

Driving reason to buy these - I believe they would be easier to source in more remote areas than the General AT2s if I had to buy a single replacement.

I now have the F1s on a set of Disco 11 18" alloys that have been machined to fit the RRS. I have also fitted these alloys to my camper trailer (via a Disco 1 to Disco 11 hub adaptor). Having an off road camper trailer with 18" low profile tyres and alloys looks really flash!

http://simmonites.com/wheeladapters.htm

When I'm towing the camper now, I have some extra spares I can use on the Sport.

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #174004 Mon Jun 23 2008 10:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2nd Rower

stephenw wrote:

Driving reason to buy these - I believe they would be easier to source in more remote areas than the General AT2s if I had to buy a single replacement.

Thanks Steve. As a newbie to this off road/outback game can I ask what drives your statement above RE availibility of tyres and Pirellia beking easier to obtain than the Grabbers?

Post #174124 Mon Jun 23 2008 11:24pm
2nd Rower

Another question for the masses..

Can I replace 4 tyres with All terrain tyres (say Grabber AT2's), and leave the spare with a road tyre (currently the GoodYear Wrangler F1), or am I 'obliged' by safety reasons to ensure the spare exactly matches the 4 rolling tyres?

Post #174144 Tue Jun 24 2008 7:32am
stephenw

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Nara Bronze

Just my view on the distribution network. Generals don't have a big market in Aust but it is growing. Regardless, any 255/55/18 tyre will be hard to source anywhere remote.

Just a footnote, a mate with a D3 is happy with his AT2s. His only comment so far was that he thought they were wearing faster than he expected they would.

Steve RRS TDV6 MY07 gone.
RRS TDV6 MY10 just arrived!

Post #174153 Tue Jun 24 2008 8:32am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
2nd Rower

Thanks Steve - If I do replace all the tyres I 'm thinking I'll probably go with the Grabbers..

The guy at the tyre centre today said that the disco sized grabbers were so popular that they are on back order!

Post #174197 Tue Jun 24 2008 11:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12