RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > R BRITISH CARS RELIABLE? HELP HELP HELP
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

reefguy

United States 
R BRITISH CARS RELIABLE? HELP HELP HELP

I love the look and drive of this new Range rover sport but I am unsure about how reliable and how
dependable these new range rover sports are? 2006 to 2008
SO many people I talk to say they SUCK or they are GARBAGE, British Car this, British Car that
so this makes me uneasy about buying or leasing a Range Rover SPORT.

HELP HELP HELP!

Can some of you Range Rover Sport owners give me the REAL story on this Car and your recommendations.

I am looking to get one used 2006 or 2007 and wanted to know your bad experiences if any thus far

thanks Rolling with laughter Big Cry Big Cry Buying a new car

Post #140752 Mon Oct 08 2007 4:49pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There are some rogue ones out there, but LR's are just as good/bad as BMW, Merc,Porsche,Audi.......... go onto the owners' forums/ websites and you will find just as many folks on them complaining about a lemon car. I'm now on my 6th LR product in 11 years, only one of them has ever broken down and left me on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, and it was not a mechanical/factory fault it was a broken auxy drive belt.......................... also I think the car was having a tantrum as I was driving it to the dealer to pick up my next new Land Rover - I know the person who bought that car that broke down on me and they have never had a problem with it since, and that was 8 years ago and the car is still running with more than 100000 miles on it! There are others on here who have nightmare stories to tell though...............................

PS ask those that say that British cars suck if they have ever owned one - I would doubt it, they are probably going on hearsay and what they have read in the press 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #140753 Mon Oct 08 2007 5:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kaine

United Kingdom 

reefguy

mines 12 months old at the End/Oct and now on 13k miles - not had one problem with it

Kaine

Post #140760 Mon Oct 08 2007 6:08pm
sportman

United Arab Emirates 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

My wife has 2 old years lexus RX 330..and i'm having 2007 RRS supercharged...lexus vs. sport in tearms of reability get lexus or any japaneese car for all other things such lexury fun to drive look buy sport.. be be honest i had 4 jeeps and should sall Range rover sport is more reliable that all jeeps except one my old wrangler YJ..coz it's sample no much electronic..if u think that BMW or Mercedes or more reliable you are wrong..coz i know friends are complianing
"OLD IS GOLD" all old models are more reliable coz thier are simple no electronics which are sensetive parts..so I WILL RECOMMEND RANGE ROVER SPORT Thumbs Up 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Buckingham Blue, Ivory converted to HST Silver

SOLD-V8 Defender 90

Last edited by sportman on Tue Oct 09 2007 10:26am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #140836 Tue Oct 09 2007 6:34am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

My only experience with an American car was owning a Jeep Grand Cherokee - nightmare, spent most of the time in for repairs. The RRS I've had since June 2005 has been a fantastic car - the only problems with it have been self afflicted. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #140838 Tue Oct 09 2007 7:41am
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

@reefguy: I AM VERY VERY HAPPY THAT MOST PPL THINK THAT ENGLISH CARS ARNT RELIABLE - SO I AM ABLE TO DRIVE MY CARS IN A SORT OF EXCLUSIVITY HERE IN KRAUTLAND!

and pls do me a favor, don't tell ppl that english cars are good and are less a nightmare than a Porsche Mercedes or even a american car Laughing Twisted Evil 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #140843 Tue Oct 09 2007 8:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Wilko

This has been one of the issues concerning me before I take the plunge but you're never quite sure if its simply rumour/innuendo or merely the fact that you never hear about the positive owership experiences.

I think to some extent, British cars have a poor image in the eyes of many American buyers is down to the Lucas legacy when just about every British car seemed to have dodgy electrics, although sometimes I'm puzzled as to what Americans do to their cars when you consider the normally reliable brands that don't do so well on the various surveys coming out of the States.

One issue that others may be able to address is that of driver comfort. I bought a RRC for a trip to the south of Spain earlier in the year and I was amazed at how comfortable it was, easily clocking up 15-18 hour days with no back problems which I normally suffer from in my other cars. Are the RRSs as comfortable?

Post #141700 Mon Oct 15 2007 2:12pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

wilko

I think I may be in a minority, however I dont find the RRS comfortable for long journeys Confused

Kaine

Post #141702 Mon Oct 15 2007 2:43pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

I found I wasn't very comfortable for the first few days of ownership... the seats took a lot of fiddling with to get to the right point.... in the end, I did find a suitable position which I stored away in the seat memory and from that point on was always quite comfortable, esp on long journeys. I still think the e/w switches are too far away however Confused 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #141705 Mon Oct 15 2007 3:32pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I find the RRS extremely comfortable. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #141706 Mon Oct 15 2007 3:33pm
Wilko

Hmm, thanks for the replies. One of the reasons for considering a RRS was the perception that you can cover long distances without stopping too often so this is a bit of a concern as it didn't really hit me until well into my journey that I was extremely comfortable and not feeling tired at all - this is a seventeen year old car.

If I'm in my other car, I can't go more than three hours without stopping and six hours per day is pretty much my maximum before I get completely grotchy. The other issue is I found myself in a much better frame of mind in the RRC whereas I'm normally chewing the steering wheel when I'm in other cars which I put down to being more relaxed.

Post #141709 Mon Oct 15 2007 3:37pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

Kaine wrote:
wilko

I think I may be in a minority, however I dont find the RRS comfortable for long journeys Confused

Kaine

you are banned now Laughing

the car is comfortable i was on a 12 hour trip to Italy this *zummer* and it was cool Cool 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #141718 Mon Oct 15 2007 3:52pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I'm so pleased with my RRS that I am on the verge of buying a replacement now she is 2.5 years old........................ that will hopefully be my 7th totally reliable Land Rover out of 8 owned. The unreliable one only let me down on the day I was taking into the dealer to collect my new car I suppose I could say it was really 8/8 in 12 years. I have a Defender as well the comfy car and that is now 12 years old and has never missed a beat. Hopefully it will not start doing so as it has just come back from having a complete re-build with a new chassis. Iwouldn't say the RRS is the most comfortable car I have owned, it is the 2nd most comfortable after the FFRR that preceded it, but the suspension set-up was much softer so the ride more wallowy, I love the RRS compromise, hopefully the TDV8 I am after will not have harsher ride quality with the 20" wheels and DR system compared to my TDv6SE with it's 18" wheels and no DR. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #141728 Mon Oct 15 2007 4:10pm
Kaine

United Kingdom 

XXXAngelXXX wrote:
Kaine wrote:
wilko

Kaine

you are banned now Laughing

the car is comfortable i was on a 12 hour trip to Italy this *zummer* and it was cool Cool

I blame the 20's Cool

Post #141733 Mon Oct 15 2007 4:23pm
Wilko

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I'm so pleased with my RRS that I am on the verge of buying a replacement now she is 2.5 years old........................ that will hopefully be my 7th totally reliable Land Rover out of 8 owned. The unreliable one only let me down on the day I was taking into the dealer to collect my new car I suppose I could say it was really 8/8 in 12 years. I have a Defender as well the comfy car and that is now 12 years old and has never missed a beat. Hopefully it will not start doing so as it has just come back from having a complete re-build with a new chassis. Iwouldn't say the RRS is the most comfortable car I have owned, it is the 2nd most comfortable after the FFRR that preceded it, but the suspension set-up was much softer so the ride more wallowy, I love the RRS compromise, hopefully the TDV8 I am after will not have harsher ride quality with the 20" wheels and DR system compared to my TDv6SE with it's 18" wheels and no DR.

Tim, if we were to assume that the Defende scored 10/10 for off road capabilities how would you rate the RRS? Open question to all really?

Post #141735 Mon Oct 15 2007 4:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>