RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Like a slipping clutch...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
Like a slipping clutch...

...but is an autobox.

I have a strange problem with my TDV6(2 month, 1700 km), when I start it in the morning or after she is been sitting for a couple of hours.

For the first 200-300 m when accelerating the RPMs go up but the car moves slowly, just like a slipping clutch on a standard box, and when I release the gas pedal the RPMs stay high for few seconds.

Then after about 200 m everything is normal

Is this normal or has anybody an idea of what the problem could be?

Thanks

Post #125329 Fri Jul 13 2007 12:15pm
Nutty Nige

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It is the transmission slipping. Like you say the forward clutch plates are slipping. You need to get it to the dealer and get it checked. It may just be low fluid because there is no dip stick on later cars since around 97 onwards. It is a measured amount filled through a plug underneath. The problem is that driving it like that will burn the clutches out and ruin the box. It could be a problem with the filter pick-up pipe that sucks the oil up from the transmission sump, but it certainly has a problem. They need to get the sump off and take a look.

Good luck Thumbs Up You don't stop playing because you get old, You get old because you stop playing.

07 TDV6 been and gone. 08 TDV6 been and gone. 08.5 TDV8 in evaluation mode and now gone. BMW 535D M sport Been and gone, Now time for RRS No4 - TDV6 HSE in Stornaway with Ebony - 09 Model 6 months old.
RS Cosworth 4x4 Stage 2 Mint for summer
Audi TT
Astra VXR for the daughter.

Post #125353 Fri Jul 13 2007 1:30pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Nutty Nige wrote:
It is the transmission slipping. Like you say the forward clutch plates are slipping. You need to get it to the dealer and get it checked. It may just be low fluid because there is no dip stick on later cars since around 97 onwards. It is a measured amount filled through a plug underneath. The problem is that driving it like that will burn the clutches out and ruin the box. It could be a problem with the filter pick-up pipe that sucks the oil up from the transmission sump, but it certainly has a problem. They need to get the sump off and take a look.

Good luck Thumbs Up

Nige, This sounds very similar to what happens with my car (4 weeks old)! It's been like it since day 1! I didn't realise there was anything wrong - lets face it you wouldn't expect such a problem straight out of the showroom - What ever happened to a Pre Delivery Inspection! My car feels as though there is very low power delivery & the engine revs very noisily until the engine has reached operating temperature. It almost feels like you are driving through thick treacle - if that makes sense Confused Now I'm worried because I can't be without the car and my dealer is an hour and a half's drive from me. Do you think this is something that Land Rover Assist would come out for? Crying or Very sad 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

GONE - RRS - 3.0 TDV6 HSE - Santorini (2010)
GONE - RRS - 2.7 TDV6 HSE - Java Black (2007)
GONE - Porsche Boxster S - 3.2 - Black

Post #125369 Fri Jul 13 2007 2:06pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Remember your car can go to any LR dealer for warranty work. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #125379 Fri Jul 13 2007 2:13pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Very Annoyed wrote:
Remember your car can go to any LR dealer for warranty work.

Yep thanks VA but unfortuneately the only other dealer in area is the Aberdeen one and they are so bad
that I would never give them my car. This is not a hearsay opinion but years of experience with Friends and Family having dealt with them. Think I'll just contact the dealer I bought it from and see what they have to say. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black
2013 Evoque 5 Door Pure Tech SD4 - Orkney Grey with Panoramic Roof (Mrs E's new baby)

Post #125394 Fri Jul 13 2007 2:29pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Fair call. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #125395 Fri Jul 13 2007 2:30pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

LRA will normally come out to recover if there is a risk of further damage to the car by driving it.... good luck Very Happy 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #125399 Fri Jul 13 2007 2:33pm
Endjin

Scotland 

Ok, Phoned dealer and spoke to Techie - He reckons that there may be a problem but that as long as I don't try and thrash the car when it is displaying the symptom (i.e. till engine gets a bit of heat in it), then I won't do any damage. They have booked car in for next Wed and will give me a loaner, which is fine as I have a meeting not far from them that day & if required they will deliver it back to me and pick up their loaner. At the end of the day if it goes BANG then I'm in the clear as far as warranty goes as they've told me to keep driving it till then. I'll let you know the outcome. B Censored dy annoying though - only 4 weeks old and already going back to the Garage - Not what you expect after spending £47k + on a car!! Shocked 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black

Post #125429 Fri Jul 13 2007 3:10pm
flydive

Ok, my car goes to the dealer for a check next week, I'll let you know if they find anything when I'm back from the USA at the end of the week.

Post #125434 Fri Jul 13 2007 3:28pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

You may have a problem with the box, but are you sure it isn't just the viscous fan coupling, this drives the fan fully and makes quite a noise (roar) when you initially start off from cold for a 100m or so. It certainly gives the impression that the engine is working hard, but it soon goes to normal down the road a bit. Rolling Eyes

Post #125456 Fri Jul 13 2007 8:46pm
ayates

United States 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Flydive,

I had a similar experience with my previous LR3 (disco3) high revs and treacle as you started off.... however after a visit to update the s/w that controls the gear changing (Official LR3 recall at least here in the US where it didnt change down to 1st correctly) then the treacle effect was also cured.... wonder if LR can apply a similar approach to fix your problem ?

Endjin, I agree about the Town & Country LR as they used to be my old dealer when I lived in the UK, real crappy customer service and workmanship I remember Rolling Eyes

Post #125459 Fri Jul 13 2007 8:54pm
XXXAngelXXX

Germany 

Texstar wrote:
You may have a problem with the box, but are you sure it isn't just the viscous fan coupling, this drives the fan fully and makes quite a noise (roar) when you initially start off from cold for a 100m or so. It certainly gives the impression that the engine is working hard, but it soon goes to normal down the road a bit. Rolling Eyes

i think it ain't a problem - i have this the first 200 m on the TDV6 and the brand new TDV8 courtesy car i had for 3 days...

Its more like the turbo doesn't engage on cold engine....... 
L 405 2013 FFRR 5.0 SC
--------------------------------------------------------------
WINNER - 2009 �Best Avatar� Award
WINNER - 2009 Comedian Of The Year Award

Post #125497 Sat Jul 14 2007 7:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Endjin

Scotland 

Cheers for all the advice chaps, But I think I'll let them have a look at it anyway - Better safe than sorry! They are also going to check out a slight paint flaw at the same time so kinda killin' 2 birds with one stone. I'll report back on what they say. 2013 Discovery HSE Luxury - 3.0 SDV6 - Santorini Black

Post #125512 Sat Jul 14 2007 8:57am
landroverstormer

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I honestly don't think there's an issue either. As mentioned before the fan sometimes engages for the first 100-200m or so which does sound as though you are revving the engine when in fact you're not.

Best have it checked for piece of mind, but I'd say you'll be fine. Wink TDV8 HSE in Java/Ebony with Zebrano Wood, RSE, Hybrid TV, and a few other bells and whistles.

Discovery 1 V8i Auto (The Off Road Toy)

Post #125586 Sat Jul 14 2007 9:19pm
flydive

Yes, I'll have it checked anyway, but you guys might be right about the fan.
Thanks for the advice.

Post #125592 Sat Jul 14 2007 9:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>