RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Manchester to London 200 miles.................£11
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

Robin Sunpower

United Kingdom 
Manchester to London 200 miles.................£11

In your Range Rovers you'll need a good 10 gallons of fuel, loads of congestion on the motorways, then don't forget your £8 London Congestion Zone charge (soon to be increased to £20 p/day for 4x4s Very Happy) + parking fees if you can find a space. That'll probably see a good £60-70 vanish.

£11 Virgin Trains, you can fall asleep or read a book whilst somebody else drives you.

There must be some sense here. I'm not trying to be clever, just save you some money, that's got to be good.
Oh yes, and help save the planet too!....

I join you in peace guys, please look at our site http://www.stopurban4x4s.org.uk/ and add any comments, please. We are not against the drivers and owners, just hoping for a little thought.

Post #5096 Fri Nov 11 2005 12:34am
King-Chippie-Sawdust

United Kingdom 
Robin Soapowder

I've got a little thought for you Robin: If you come along and join us in peace and climb a few of our trees I'll be able to help you spread your peace..................................... about 20,000 little pieces of you everywhere! Rimmini Sport HSE with a sawdust vibe

Post #5098 Fri Nov 11 2005 1:05am
Rob_J

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Interesting & good argument.....(yes I'm being serious)

.....I drive into London everyday obviously have a choice...could go by train....

....however....

1) It takes far longer to travel by train (yes even with the traffic). I work long hours & to be honest the idea of finishing late & then having 1 1/2 journey home does nothing for me. Driving i can be home in 35-40 mins. It's my personal time & that is priceless. For comparison, I can fit in 45mins in the gym before work, by driving, getting up 15 minutes later.

2) I get a comfortable seat, don't have to stand or get crushed.

3) It's not hot & sweaty in the summer or cold in the winter.

4) I don't have somebody elses mobile phone constantly going off or their walkman/Ipod blaring (I can listen to what I like at whatever volume I like).

5) I'd still need to drive to the train station, but the parking there is so unsecure I'd be risking my vehicle every day.

Public transport in short is a farce. Before I'll get out of my car give me a choice at present I don't have one. Give me a service which is regular, reliable, comfortable, realistically priced & I'll use it & leave the car at home. The solution is not to price me off the road, because you can't, as I said my personal time is priceless. The solution is to give me an option, please invest your time sorting out an alternative, not trying to ban those of us that don't have an option. And yes I probably could get smaller more environmentally friendly cars! Embarassed And yes it would be great if any of my vehicles could do 50mpg Crying or Very sad But the ultimate solution is to improve our public transport systems. Rant over. HSE TD6 (Java Black/Ivory)
911GT3 (Guards Red, carbon interior)
ElanSE (BRG)
Panamera Turbo S
Boxster S

Post #5101 Fri Nov 11 2005 9:26am
MDP

United Kingdom 
Re: Manchester to London 200 miles.................£11

Robin Sunpower wrote:
£11 Virgin Trains, you can fall asleep or read a book whilst somebody else drives you.
There must be some sense here. I'm not trying to be clever, just save you some money, that's got to be good.Oh yes, and help save the planet too!.....

What Planet are you on Manchester to London £11 - not for those commuting daily . Even from Nuneaton to London Euston again with Virgin costs £90 Welcome to the REAL World !

Don't get me wrong though.... I will take the train [ i have a family rail card ] esp into London, but must say my experiences so far have been very dissapointing & not as you describe. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5105 Fri Nov 11 2005 11:16am
Mr Bean

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Bonatti Grey

Manchester to London is a trip I often have several times a year usually at short notice where a train booking would be over £100.
Then I would have a 20 mile journey to Manchester station, taxi, bus even another local train, the nearest local station to me is over 2 miles away, so a bus there as well.
It would probably take me an hour and a half and £15 just to get to Manchester station.
Then tubes and taxis around London, it would take forever.
My last trip with 3 occupants and a 60kg machine in the boot as well as 2 packages to to deliver took around 4 hours to get to Tottenham and cruising most of the way at 70mph and averaging 30 mpg used more like 6-7 gallons max. Thats more like just £30 in diesel.
Then to Whitechapel in the East End and on to South London avoiding all the congestion charge zones and no parking fees required.
Even stopped off for business in Birmingham on the way back and a fabulous pub meal near Stoke at Penkridge then swapped over the driving with one of my colleagues.
Almost impossible to use the train for such a journey. It would have cost the 3 of us nearly £500 and taken twice as long. Even booking in advance with Virgin offers I calculate to be at least twice as expensive for that trip.
I'm finding so far the running costs for my RRS, considering the loads and type of useage, are quite economical and if I can afford to buy it and run it then why the hell do should I waste my time and money on a bus or train?

Post #5106 Fri Nov 11 2005 11:35am
Biggles

England 

It would cost £11.00 if you provide your own coal and stoke the boilers yourself and washed the dishes in the meal carriage. Laughing Laughing Laughing Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #5108 Fri Nov 11 2005 12:30pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Guys! Guys!

Whay are you all responding to a character who is not a friend? This Robin Sunworshipper is playing a game with you. He comes up with these crazy illogical statements - sits back and enjoys watching you guys scrambling to answer him! And he's laughing away!!!

Robin, cease and desist! This Forum is for lovers of the Range Rover, especially the RRS. Secondly, you must realise now that we do not need your advice. We do not need you to save us money - we all have loads of it and we are showing off by buying the Best 4 X 4 in the world!! Thirdly, we know that you are very jealous and full of envy whenever you see an RRS pass you by. You know you're not in our league - our sympathies are with you. But then, the world was not made equal. There are the haves and then there are the have nots. You know where you fit in - tada!

If you're so concerned for the planet, go tell America and Australia to ratify the Kyoto Protocol!! That's bigger fish for you. Or are you just a little coward trying to bully gentle law-abiding God-fearing members of RRSPORT.CO.UK ?

Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #5111 Fri Nov 11 2005 1:08pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Nothing like getting to the point Bobby Wink

RRS = The Best 4 x 4 x Far Very Happy 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #5112 Fri Nov 11 2005 1:31pm
M@verik

England 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

Bravo Bobby 11 XFR

08 RRS TDV8 HSE with the good bits taken off the first RRS

05 RR Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red (Rimini Brown at events), Stormer wheels (original 19's for events), PTI, towpack. TV tuner (now driven by an employee)

1923 Ford Model T (serious ground clearance)

FFRR TDV8 Vogue my07 (wife won't let me use it in case I go to Salisbury with VA in it)

plus some other bits n' pieces

Post #5127 Fri Nov 11 2005 11:45pm
hokoyo

Australia 
Kyoto????

Bobby wrote:
Guys! Guys!

If you're so concerned for the planet, go tell America and Australia to ratify the Kyoto Protocol!! That's bigger fish for you. Or are you just a little coward trying to bully gentle law-abiding God-fearing members of RRSPORT.CO.UK ?

(Rant on)
Why would we want to sign the Kyoto Protocol? Why would we want to stifle our growth and our industries? We are already one of the most highly taxed nations, and we all know in the end that tax and higher prices would fund change and not industries.

We are a nation of 20 million people clinging precariously to the coast. Those who have ever visited this great land may have some appreciation of the sheer size of the continent and the girth of the sky. You travel 200 km outside of any major city and there are small towns and open space, a further 300 km and there is nothing, just endless space, shrubs and sunshine. Those shrubs must eat carbon dioxide and produce oxygen in which case they are givers to the environment not takers?

(Rant off!)

Post #5128 Sat Nov 12 2005 12:55am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White
Re: Kyoto????

hokoyo wrote:
Bobby wrote:
Guys! Guys!

(Rant on)
Why would we want to sign the Kyoto Protocol? Why would we want to stifle our growth and our industries? We are already one of the most highly taxed nations, and we all know in the end that tax and higher prices would fund change and not industries.

We are a nation of 20 million people clinging precariously to the coast. Those who have ever visited this great land may have some appreciation of the sheer size of the continent and the girth of the sky. You travel 200 km outside of any major city and there are small towns and open space, a further 300 km and there is nothing, just endless space, shrubs and sunshine. Those shrubs must eat carbon dioxide and produce oxygen in which case they are givers to the environment not takers?

(Rant off!)

[b]Good for you!!!
Hope that Robin fellow is reading this now! Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Last edited by Bobby on Fri Jul 27 2007 3:43am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #5129 Sat Nov 12 2005 1:17am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I note that this treehugger's site has no way that 4x4 drivers can respond to their claims and quotes taken out of context or made by the Mayor of London, who until recently had never driven a car. I would suggest they let people like myself have a say and publish my comments on their site as we are allowing people like Robin Sunpower have his say on our site. Theirs is a site full of half truths intended to mislead.

Their is no problem with 4x4's the only problem is that public transport is rubbish and people are jealous of people like me - give us a proper, affordable, clean, efficient 24hr nationwide transport system and traffic will decrease. The problem is with the system and not the individual. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #5135 Sat Nov 12 2005 9:12am
Taffy

Wales 

I think this Robinsunpower treehugger bloke is whats known in the trade as a TROLL..........quite apt for him as he most probably lives in the forest under a bridge............

Post #5137 Sat Nov 12 2005 10:43am
noddy and bigears

England 
Re: Robin Soapowder

King-Chippie-Sawdust wrote:
I've got a little thought for you Robin: If you come along and join us in peace and climb a few of our trees I'll be able to help you spread your peace..................................... about 20,000 little pieces of you everywhere!
i have a nice big sthil chainsaw and a big saw bench wheres them trees Twisted Evil

Post #5140 Sat Nov 12 2005 6:26pm
lOWEST pAID sPORT oWNER

United Kingdom 

£11 (each way, Total £22) Thanks Robin, glad I read your post cause I'm off to London next week on a delivery and this'll save me a good £20 or so on my vans diesel cost.
I can park my van at Manchester station and load up on the train then hopefully somebody can help me manouver the half a tonne pinball machine to Eustons escalaters to get it onto a tube to Elephant and Castle. Then just a short half mile or so taxi ride to the delivery address. Hopefully it'll arrive fully intact, the customer won't notice a thing and I'll have saved £8. Oh no I forgot the tube.....and taxi fare, the time and probably have my van towed away from Manchester station on my return but at least I'll have helped reduce emmisions!
Thanks Robin. very helpfull guy. this member has only recently joined and has yet to prove RRS ownership. Please re-register and submit income details on your profile information page.

Post #5156 Sun Nov 13 2005 11:57pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>