Home > General > Range Rover Sport - Underbody Corrosion
Having looked at the underbody, my RR Sport exhibits :-
Zero corrosion
45%
 45%  [11]
Some corrosion - not as bad as that pictured
33%
 33%  [8]
Just as bad as pictured - how old is your car?
20%
 20%  [5]
No corrosion (I live in a dry state)
0%
 0%  [0]
Total Votes: 24

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

PauloAmore

Scotland 
Range Rover Sport - Underbody Corrosion

Town & County (Aberdeen) LR Dealer has eventually called me back to advise that Land Rover will send an engineer to inspect my car prior to any warranty work. This may take some time but will get done, they say. The dealer stated that the car was a bit of a mess and asked if my car has been used in the sea (i.e. towing yachts / boats etc) - previous owner used the vehicle on motorway etc only.

Anyway, I read the warranty section on the LR website and it states that corrosion related to salt is excluded. Surprising given the stuff is splashed all of the place. I wonder if this is (in some cases) an unreasonable exclusion?

Assuming LR inspect and tell me to hop it, I'm not going to leave it there. The car is only 18 months old and the corrosion is way beyond what it should be in my humble opinion. What kind of claim might I have against LR? Sale of goods act? Car wasn't bought from a LR dealer but an independent on the strength of the LR warranty.

Looking at the images, any thoughts on whether or not I should have the corrosion sorted? What the long term ramifications may be and a ballpark on the costs. Is it worth get the underside re-coated? Can that slow the corrosion?

The post follows from my previous thread in "My Range Rover Sport", I'm posting an update here to draw attention to the situation and get a feel for the size of my / our problem. Thanks in advance! Sad Sad

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic6201.html

Also, I borrowed a 6 month old Freelander 2 from the dealer during the warranty inspection. It was corroding too!

2022 P440e AB

Last edited by PauloAmore on Fri May 11 2007 1:32pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #108155 Thu May 10 2007 10:05pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

Shocked

Post #108164 Thu May 10 2007 11:33pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

I've seen a SC locally with the exhaust fairly well corroded, like your pics and I think that's down to the steel/graphite content of the exhaust that LR are using

That's why a SS exhaust upgrade from JE/Larini isn't a bad thing.

But as for the other pics I think you should get the car independantly assessed before you take LR on. TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #108246 Fri May 11 2007 4:58pm
iwantone

I would say that a warranty exclusion for salt corrosion is unreasonable under the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977 since (a) the UK salts its roads; and (b) LR sells its cars on the basis of off roading and ruggedness. It simply won't play well in the press for this exclusion to be enforced.

Post #108323 Sat May 12 2007 9:51am
PauloAmore

Scotland 

chaps, still no news from LR.
thanks for the votes though. Interesting stuff. 2022 P440e AB

Post #108855 Tue May 15 2007 7:20pm
sportman

United Arab Emirates 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Guys,
Just going back to my previose post Q
what can we aply to pretect corrsion? 2007 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Buckingham Blue, Ivory converted to HST Silver

SOLD-V8 Defender 90

Post #109157 Wed May 16 2007 6:52pm
Texstar

United Kingdom 

I have a D3 ( basically the same underneath), of about the same age, the corrosion on exhaust system is unsightly but pretty normal for a UK based car I would say. Mine has rust on the chassis like yours where the (very thin black) paint had been scuffed during build, mind you the chassis is made of pretty hefty gauge steel and would more than likely outlast the rest of the car, even if rusty. I sprayed waxoil on and inside chassis rails to try to stop it getting worse. I would be more concerned about the corrosion on some of the steering / suspension components shown on your pics. I think you are correct to bring this to the attention of LR,as it does seem to be worse than most, but salt in any quantity will not help, yours may have been driven on salty roads by the previous owner and never ever hosed off underneath from day one. I wouldn't get anything treated until LR have inspected it / made a decision on it,because it may make the corrosion less noticeable with waxoil or whatever all over the things than can be treated. Good Luck any way. Wink

Post #109198 Wed May 16 2007 10:34pm
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Texstar wrote:
I have a D3 ( basically the same underneath), of about the same age, the corrosion on exhaust system is unsightly but pretty normal for a UK based car I would say. Mine has rust on the chassis like yours where the (very thin black) paint had been scuffed during build, mind you the chassis is made of pretty hefty gauge steel and would more than likely outlast the rest of the car, even if rusty. I sprayed waxoil on and inside chassis rails to try to stop it getting worse. I would be more concerned about the corrosion on some of the steering / suspension components shown on your pics. I think you are correct to bring this to the attention of LR,as it does seem to be worse than most, but salt in any quantity will not help, yours may have been driven on salty roads by the previous owner and never ever hosed off underneath from day one. I wouldn't get anything treated until LR have inspected it / made a decision on it,because it may make the corrosion less noticeable with waxoil or whatever all over the things than can be treated. Good Luck any way. Wink

thanks texstar. still waiting..........

LR Aberdeen (Town and County) have been chased up but "HAVE BEEN ON HOLIDAY".....
Fu Censored k me, only been 3 weeks....... Evil or Very Mad 2022 P440e AB

Post #110766 Thu May 24 2007 1:06pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I bet if you went to buy a car or have one serviced over the last 3 weeks they would not have been on holiday! Laughing 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #110794 Thu May 24 2007 1:55pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
PauloAmore

Scotland 

Update

Curiously, my dealer called me yesterday. They are going to take the car for 2 days. Clean the underside at one contractor, then to another for a waxoyl treatment...

I'm not really sure what the point of this is?
Any ideas?

Maybe protects the steering gear from further corrosion? 2022 P440e AB

Post #130459 Tue Aug 07 2007 7:09pm
MAW

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

You want the problem fixing don't you though not hiding - I agree exhausts are likely to rust and would consider them a consumable but the structure and key components should be mint before being protected otherwise they'll rust away out of sight - I appreciate the waxoil will slow it but nevertheless....

Post #130594 Wed Aug 08 2007 7:53am
rrsjo

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

PauloAmore wrote:
Update

Curiously, my dealer called me yesterday. They are going to take the car for 2 days. Clean the underside at one contractor, then to another for a waxoyl treatment...

I'm not really sure what the point of this is?
Any ideas?

Maybe protects the steering gear from further corrosion?

Maybe a token action to get the car through the manufacturer's three year warranty! On the other hand what other alternative action could they take? Personally, I would want to inspect the underside of the car after derusting and prior to waxoyl treatment to ensure the rust removal had been done properly.

Post #130605 Wed Aug 08 2007 8:13am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

There is another option Jo Idea

There is a company down in Newbury that will do the underside of a L/R in some sort of paint system that looks superb, keeps the mud off and protects the steel work, if it were me then i might press the dealer in to looking in to this option, It ain't cheap (doesn't matter if the dealer is paying) but they do give a long guarantee.

PauloAmore if you are interested then i will find you the details Thumbs Up some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #130607 Wed Aug 08 2007 8:27am
Cliff H

United Kingdom 

I know the one you mean Envoy, they advertise in the LR mags don't they?
Does look really good.

Post #130609 Wed Aug 08 2007 8:29am
davidbrown

United States 

replace the badly corroded parts then have it undercoated for protection 
Land rover aftermarket parts.

Post #130617 Wed Aug 08 2007 8:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>