Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > RRSport Noob. Advice needed. Considering a 2012 HSE or BE
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DanteBlitz

United Kingdom 
RRSport Noob. Advice needed. Considering a 2012 HSE or BE

Hi guys,

Just discovered this forum a few days ago and have learnt so much from it already. Here's my story...

I am currently looking for a family friendly SUV that my wife will drive 90% of the time. Our budget is around 30K. Up until now my wife and I have always driven Merc and BMW saloons and coupes. Naturally our initial thoughts were to get a German SUV.

I've been looking around at various models for about a month and from what I gather the BMW X5 is a good all rounder. However I hate how it looks, both inside and out. A very un-remarkable looking vehicle IMO. I haven't driven one so my comments don't carry too much weight.

For the last few weeks we have been looking at 2012/13 ML350. There are a few things I don't like about the ML:

- I currently drive a Merc CLS which cost me considerably less than 30K. It is far far more luxurious than any ML I've been to see. Too many MLs have too much plastic in the interiour and fake suede/leather seats. Not very Nice at all for 30K. It doesn't feel like great value for money.

- I am not blow away by it's looks. It's nice but not great.

- No air suspension or real leather as standard means that those with it are expensive. From what I know the air suspension makes a big difference to body roll on SUVs and so its a must

When I first started looking for SUVs I did see a RRSport but I wasn't impressed with it's Interface. I t looked so outdated. However, since I developed a lack of admiration for the German SUVs I started re-considering the RRSport. The more researched I conducted the more it seems like a great vehicle (with the exception or the interface) and the more the ML seems un-remarkable.

Last Sunday I test drove a 2013 Black edition. I loved the drive and feeling of it. It put a big smile on my face. The look is also very nice. So I am therefore seriously considering an RRSport.

I do have a few reservations however and hopefully this post will help me make a decision. The main reservation is that of reliability.

Mine and my wife's German saloons have never given us any major problem (we've had a few over the years). They are reliable and dependable. I've got this idea in my head that RRs wont have the same reliability as a German made SUV. However from researching it appears that reliability for 2012/13 models is very good. I would be interested in hearing anyone's experiences, both good and bad.

Due to my reservations on reliability I think I will only ever consider purchasing an approved used RRSport to benefit from the 2 year warranty (and possibly extending this further). Does anyone have any experiences with used LR warranty claims? Are LR happy to oblige and resolve any issues or are they constantly refuse claims?

I'm also not too sure on what options to consider. I found the black edition has a lot going for it. Are there any options/packs anyone can recommend. If I don't get a black edition I may go for a 2012 model such a HSE Luxury Edition. Are there any major difference between 2012 and 2013 models?

Finally, from my initial searches on LR's website the black editions go for around 35K (with average milage). Does anyone have any experience or joy with negotiating prices down with LR?

Any help, assistance and opinions are highly appreciated.

BTW. If anyone is interested, I found this video to be really helpful. From what I gather it's the Korean Jeremy Clarkson testing the new RRSport Autobiography Dynamic, BMW X5 M50d and ML 350. Whilst its not the RR model I'm considering I still found it very insightful. Its in 2 parts and in subtitles but very interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIXf3nwNM2E

Post #505942 Tue Sep 20 2016 7:15pm
DanteBlitz

United Kingdom 

Here is a short summary of questions from my original long post above. Any advice is very highly appreciated.

- Can anyone comment on their good and bad experiences with a 2012 or 2013 RRSport (1st gen model)?
    - Does anyone have any experiences with used LR warranty claims?
    - Are there any major difference between 2012 and 2013 (1st gen) models?
    - Are there any essential options/packs that anyone can recommend?
    - Does anyone have any experience or joy with negotiating prices down with LR?

Post #506130 Thu Sep 22 2016 7:07pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

1. Never had any problems with my 2012 MY13

2.Have never had any issues so never used it.

3. No

4. Buy a A/B or Black Edition as they will have most option packs fitted, especially the Black Edition as end of RRS1s so I believe they came from Factory with Options Fitted as standard.

5. Try the end of the Month when they are trying to meet sales targets.

All my own personal opinion.

Cheers
Col

Post #506134 Thu Sep 22 2016 7:48pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

1. Had one problem with my 2013 BE, sorted under warranty while I had a replacement car through LR Assist. Never left me stranded though. Great car and as Col said, very well equipped being the runout model.

2. I bought LR Extended warranty for my 2009 HSE. Both years it paid for itself and more. As long as it was not wear & tear related and not clearly excluded in the T&C's, I never had any quibbles on claims. In fact I had the suspension recalibrated FoC as a good will gesture (having FLRSH and extended warranty helped) even though adjustments were not covered by warranty.

3. 2013 has more toys and I believe nicer leather as standard.

4. I wouldn't be without Remote Park Heating on that model but may be difficult to find. Can be retro-fitted (like I did) though. Privacy glass and sidesteps also. Some people rate heated steering wheel very highly. All personal preference.

5. When buying my 2013 BE at 8 months old, I only got a £500 reduction in purchase price as it was very competitively priced in the first place. However, I got a very decent trade-in price for my 2009 HSE, about £2,500 higher than the originally quoted part-ex price. Didn't matter to me how they structured the total £3,000 "discount" as long as I had less difference to pay. Negotiated hard and it was the end of November so not just end of month but also close to year-end. This was nearly 3 years ago btw so not sure how relevant it is today. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #506138 Thu Sep 22 2016 8:58pm
rickshaw

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Have now owned three RRS's, all purchased from new in 2006, 2010, and 2013. Have had no problems whatsoever with any of them. My current model is the Black Edition. Quite frankly, overall, it's the best car I've ever owned and my extensive list (over many years!!) includes Merc (E Class) , BMW (5 Series) , Porsche (944 & 911) and three Discovery's.
They're all entirely different of course and maybe advancing years helps me appreciate comfort and practicality rather than speed but buying the last of the RRS 1 'roll out' models was a smart move as far as I am concerned (well equipped and good value for money). If I ever win the lottery I may consider an RRS2 but frankly I think they are way overpriced.
If you can stretch to a 2013 Black Edition with a good warranty I don't think you will be disappointed...

Post #506169 Fri Sep 23 2016 8:33am
PEACHY

England 

I've owned 2 12My Sports - both AB.

Only problem I've ever had was sorted quickly via a warranty claim - it was a leaking rear ARC bar that would have cost approx £2K.

I have seen various RRS with different specs even the AB can have lots of different add ons compared too another one. There was a 12MY Red Edition for sale on here a year or so ago it was specced with everything you could order Whistle

I have never had any money knocked off a Sport - I've had a set of mats & a few trinkets but the price was never negotiable.

Good luck in your search Thumbs Up . 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #506172 Fri Sep 23 2016 9:07am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DanteBlitz

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all your help guys. It sounds like (1) The RRSport is very reliable and (2) LR are good at dealing with warranty claims. All good to know.

Does anyone know if there is an online version of the 2013 model comparison brochure? The physical version is available on ebay but I'm going to see a few vehicles this weekend and can't get one delivered in time:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112141626379?_tr...EBIDX%3AIT

Ideally I want to find out as much information about the model variants, options, extras, packs etc.

Post #506209 Fri Sep 23 2016 6:41pm
DanteBlitz

United Kingdom 

Just found the online brochure through another post in this site. Thanks rrsport.co.uk

Post #506210 Fri Sep 23 2016 6:46pm
PEACHY

England 

Have you got any links to the vehicles your viewing - us anoraks can tell a lot just by looking - for instance none standard alloys & unwanted modifications Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #506212 Fri Sep 23 2016 7:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

Shame you wasn't in the market 3 weeks ago. I traded my April 2013 40k miles Black Edn in against a new DS for SWMBO & cars get swapped over on Monday
To give you a good idea on dealer prices for good examples I took £31k trade in with a 6% discount on the new car so would expect to see it advertised at circa £34/5k

On reliability, the only problem I had required a new primary turbo at 30k miles sorted under warranty. There's a few cars built between Jan & March 2013 which have had the same problem with a suspected bad batch of turbos being the potential culprit.

The only provido I would suggest on a used RRS is budget £1k pa for the comprehensive LR extended warranty which also includes European breakdown cover, I wouldn't want to risk running one without.

Post #506217 Fri Sep 23 2016 8:31pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Slightly above your budget but you should take a look: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic45557.html

I have no connection to the seller btw. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #506253 Sat Sep 24 2016 11:31am
DanteBlitz

United Kingdom 

I went to see this one as its my favourite colour combination.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201609097613726

The driver's seat leather was scuffed and also badly worn (for my liking) so I had to pass.

Last edited by DanteBlitz on Sat Sep 24 2016 6:55pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #506272 Sat Sep 24 2016 6:49pm
DanteBlitz

United Kingdom 

How durable is the leather on RRSports?

Post #506273 Sat Sep 24 2016 6:51pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Nice Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* GONE: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #506283 Sat Sep 24 2016 8:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1