RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Adding two stroke oil to fuel. yes/no
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

Pistnbroke

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Galway Green

I think the clue to the lie that it damages FPF or cats is in the fuel filler cap ... Check the oil every 600miles it says.....So if it needed topping up that would mean way more than 200ml had passed the piston rings.
Mine uses no oil since I had it 3000 miles ago but I do use 10w40 Always listen to old people or when they die you will live on in ignorance.
The avatar is a picture of the man with a big cock.
Learned to 4x4 on 100 mile beach and Frazer Island QLD
Dont spend money on old cars you will never get it back

Post #638687 Wed Jan 10 2024 11:14pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Quote:
I think the clue to the lie that it damages FPF or cats is in the fuel filler cap

The writing on the fuel filler cap is there precisely to prevent further damage to the engine, including cats or DPF, in case of excess burning of motor oil. https://fourwheeltrends.com/oil-damage-a-catalytic-converter/

Go tell the engineers who designed these systems that they based their design on a "lie". Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #638691 Thu Jan 11 2024 9:33am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

And the zinc in mineral 2SO can increase injector fouling as well as contaminate catalytic converters. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #638692 Thu Jan 11 2024 10:10am
Dave B

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Just because you call yourself an engineer, it doesn't mean you 'know it all'.

Engineers signed off the crap regen software that destroys the crap designed crankshaft in LRs V6 engines.

Engineers signed off the Horizon IT system that failed so many.

And the list could go on.

One of the most used and respected fuel additives (I can't remember the name) in the USA is actually manufactered by a leading fuel company.

The exhaust after treatment sysytems are quite capable of failing on their own for no apparent reason, and truck manufacterers have to allow for good fuel in the civilised western world and also crap fuel as available in the east, on the same journey, so it's not a use once and you've knackered your engine scenareo.

Dave 2010 3.6 TDV8 HSE (Gone)
2011 Discovery 4 Commercial SDV6 (Gone)
1980 OBLIC 4.0ltr Range Rover (went a long time ago)

Post #638693 Thu Jan 11 2024 10:15am
RRSTDV8

Ah, the old "don't trust experts" line of argument. Bow down

Engineers are often overruled by managers and accountants. If allowed to get on with the job, engineers put men on the Moon. Whistle 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #638695 Thu Jan 11 2024 10:26am
TheWojtek

Dave B wrote:
The exhaust after treatment sysytems are quite capable of failing on their own for no apparent reason

This is engineering. You can track a cause of an airliner crash down to three bolts that were not to spec, so the "no apparent reason" is just lack of knowledge or laziness. Ignoring excessive oil in fuel for example.

Dave B wrote:
and truck manufacterers have to allow for good fuel in the civilised western world and also crap fuel as available in the east, on the same journey, so it's not a use once and you've knackered your engine scenareo.

That's exactly what I said: exhaust treatment systems may be and are overengineered since they directly impact the ability of the manufacturer to put the vehicle on the market. Most owners will never reach the threshold of wear which will trigger an error or render the system inoperable. However even an overengineered system abused with deliberately putting something that reduces its longevity into fuel will eventually fail.
This is an interesting form of a cognitive bias called hyperbolic discounting, where people have a stronger preference for more immediate payoffs relative to later payoffs. They rationalize it by their choice of vocabulary - which is why calling well-documented detrimental effects of oil in catalytic converter a "lie" has an effect of self-amplifying anchor.
In this case the perceivable effect of a "better running engine" caused by 2SO makes people irrationally distance themselves from the risks of a failing exhaust treatment system, while simultaneously the 2SO does not make the engine actually better but merely masks the wear and tear. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #638698 Thu Jan 11 2024 11:28am
Dave B

Whilst I will listen and take note from engineers or people who obviously know what they are talking about, there are some on here who have an opinion on everything and view any alternative argument as rubbish, or as is becoming more apparent, any view from certain people, irrespective of the subjuct.

To remind those who fall into the above catergory, I have said on this subject that the use of 2SO on early non high pressure systems could have an advantage, but on modern high pressure ones, possibly not, and it is the later which has after combustion systems in place.

As has been said elswere on another thread, no-one knows what experience all members have, so sometimes it might be sensible to listen and consider anothers theory rather than dismiss it out of hand.

Post #638699 Thu Jan 11 2024 1:04pm
RRSTDV8

Good points, Dave. It is worth noting that the discussion is about adding 2SO to a modern engine with after-engine treatment systems, not an old "low tech" engine.

When the whole 2SO thing was brought up years ago I, along with others no doubt, spent some time trying to find evidence that it was beneficial (or at least not harmful). Lots of "I tried it and it was great" and some "here are real experiments that show no benefit and might suggest harm". Neither are definitive but I would rather err on the side of caution when presented by those two sets of evidence.

Others may choose to disagree, but I think advocating that others add 2SO to a modern engine's fuel system is not wise without strong evidence of benefit. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #638701 Thu Jan 11 2024 1:13pm
Dave B

Totally agree, they're quite capable of throwing a wobbly treated as suggested by the people who make them, so why add another option for disaster.

Post #638702 Thu Jan 11 2024 1:17pm
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

I think the only stuff I’d put in fuel is Techron by Chevron/Texaco. When I was in the US I’d often get Chevron fuel which has Thechron in it. With Chevron fuel I could generally get an additional 50 miles out of a tank of fuel. This was in my 2.8 VW GTI, 4.0 P38A as well as my wife’s 2.4 Toyota RAV4 and noted over years of driving, not just a one off tank of fuel. My brother who has a 3.0 Toyota Highlander also noted the exact same results when he would use Chevron fuel. So, if I just absolutely HAD to put something in my diesel, Techron by Chevron/Texaco would be my only option. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #638704 Thu Jan 11 2024 3:25pm
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
And the zinc in mineral 2SO can increase injector fouling as well as contaminate catalytic converters.

Prove it with some facts or please shut up (we all know how you love facts/data).

I've already given enough figures based on my own experience of something like in excess of 1.5m miles.

So please stop arguing for the sake of arguing and increasin your post count. 2006 RRS 2.7 HSE.

Post #638729 Fri Jan 12 2024 12:28pm
TheWojtek

While relatively fresh here, you must be popular in other circles with your polite demeanour.

Zinc vs catalytic converters:

https://www.catalyticconverters.com/damage/
https://rislone.com/blog/engine-oil/the-ef...er-engines
https://motorweek.org/goss_garage/too_much_zinc_in_your_oil/
https://penriteoil.com.au/forums/topic/1/C...icy?page=1

Zinc vs injectors:

https://yadda.icm.edu.pl/baztech/element/b...-02-07.pdf
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/arti...6120313326

We all know already, if the facts do not support your personal beliefs, you blame the facts and resort to slurs. Perhaps it's time to find yourself some community that accepts this? Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #638732 Fri Jan 12 2024 3:25pm
Lindab

United Kingdom 

Shocked Ner Ner
It's getting interesting Range Rover Sport: Mercedes S63 AMG Coupe: 992 Porsche Carrera 4S

Post #638736 Fri Jan 12 2024 5:19pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Brian Considine wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
And the zinc in mineral 2SO can increase injector fouling as well as contaminate catalytic converters.

Prove it with some facts or please shut up (we all know how you love facts/data).

I've already given enough figures based on my own experience of something like in excess of 1.5m miles.

So please stop arguing for the sake of arguing and increasin your post count.

So how have you managed get personal experience of that many miles? Shocked Rolling with laughter 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #638741 Fri Jan 12 2024 6:35pm
Pistnbroke

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Galway Green

Most of the links given by Wojtec are adverts.
With the cost of 2 stroke oil and the quantities added per tank full being 400ml is it cost effective? Always listen to old people or when they die you will live on in ignorance.
The avatar is a picture of the man with a big cock.
Learned to 4x4 on 100 mile beach and Frazer Island QLD
Dont spend money on old cars you will never get it back

Post #638742 Fri Jan 12 2024 7:23pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>