RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Bonnet Catch - check it engages fully after opening!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Bonnet Catch - check it engages fully after opening!

I opened the bonnet on Sunday to check the oil before going off on a long drive and closed it with the force I used on the big RR. The usual system I use is to lower it until it is about 6" from being closed and then drop it allowing it to slam, then pressing hard to check it was fully closed.
On Sunday afternoon, driving home, one of my passengers commented that when I accelerated hard the bonnet appeared to be lifting on his side...........
I forgot to check it when I got home and most of my driving yesterday was spent trundling round at more sedate speeds until I pulled down the slip road onto the M9 and accelerated up to 70 on the main carriage way. As I passed a couple of X5's cruising in the inside lane one of them hooted and flashed it's lights (which at the moment I take as acknowledgement that they have just seen an RRSport for the first time) and as I hauled ass up to 80 I noticed the nearside of the bonnet fluttering and it got to be a very alarming flutter! So that was what I was being hooted for, not because I have better taste than them!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy
I pulled off at the next junction and sure enough the nearside catch had not engaged, the safety catch and the drivers side hooks were properly closed and the bonnet would not have come up unless the safety failed. Anyway, when I got home I opened and closed the bonnet a couple of time and every time the nearside catch failed to engage when a moderate drop was used........ looks like either a call back to the dealer or I'll have to get used to using more force.
I suppose the moral of the story is to have blind faith in modern electronics and hope that the monitoring system also has an electronic probe on the dipstick to warn of a low oil level and washer water and open the bonnet as infrequently as I can get away with!
I have also noticed that the main tailgate needs more force than I am used to giving it to make it slam home.......... the big RR needed just an easy push closed but this wagon needs to be treated more firmly! I put that down to even better door seals being used to help keep the cabin so quiet.

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Wed Jun 15 2005 3:33pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #278 Tue Jun 14 2005 9:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Renny

Scotland 

I'd get it checked Tim. We had a similar problem with our last Tdi Discovery and ended up with a dent in the bonnet when I slammed it shut after the 6th time it blew open on the M90 heading home. Each time the safety catch held it but it was worrying.

In the end what was wrong was the cable to the catch had no free movement in it and the catch wasn't closing fully. I ended up adjusting it myself on the drive and it was fine until we traded it in a couple of years later. Renny Thomson
MSA Scrutineer

Post #306 Wed Jun 15 2005 3:27pm
Tim in Scotland

Autocar have had the same problem - but at much higher speed than I was doing

Post #307 Wed Jun 15 2005 3:32pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

Tim perhaps on your next trip to B&Q you may consider picking up a roll of Duck Tape...... ..affix it to your bonnet....... call into your dealer,looking extremely worried & bearing this weeks copy of Autocar ........this should do the trick. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #310 Wed Jun 15 2005 4:03pm
Biggles

England 

Have you spoke to the dealer over this, if so what are they doing about the problem. Question Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #328 Thu Jun 16 2005 9:09am
Andrew

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Firenze Red

I have found the only way to close the bonnet successfully is to cringe as you slam it shut from about 6 to 8 inches high!!

Post #548 Sat Jun 25 2005 9:16pm
Tim in Scotland

Andrew wrote:
I have found the only way to close the bonnet successfully is to cringe as you slam it shut from about 6 to 8 inches high!!

Sounds about right Andrew!

Post #560 Sun Jun 26 2005 1:27pm
Simon

United Kingdom 

Same problem when I took delivery.

I think it's best to close the bonnet gently and press home each side firmly so that you know it has caught. It's easy to check, just try lifting at each side.

Post #588 Mon Jun 27 2005 11:01am
Biggles

England 

My old P38A developed a dint in the bonnet using the push gently method, some things never change Exclamation Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #604 Mon Jun 27 2005 12:33pm
Robbi

Guernsey 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Rimini Red

When I closed the bonnet on my dealer's demo I thought I had dented it after pressing down on it! It's quite soft.....aluminium I believe? And they say 4x4's are pedestrian unfriendly.

Post #606 Mon Jun 27 2005 3:43pm
Tim in Scotland

It happened again today despite slamming the bonnet pretty hard so drove along to the dealer and they adjusted the nearside catch while I waited, and then told me that nearly every car delivered by the dealer has been back for the same fix. I think it may be a dealer mechanics "fix" rather than an official technical note "fix" from Solihull. So if you have had this problem too give your dealer a visit and ask them about it.

Post #648 Tue Jun 28 2005 7:37pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Tim, I quized my dealer today over the bonnet catch issues & unfortunately he or the dealership hav'nt come accross any such failings as yet, but looking at the quantity they are shifting I'm sure it will only be a matter of time because it seems as though it is a common problem.I have made him aware of other peoples experiences re this & other points raised on this site. 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #692 Wed Jun 29 2005 11:41pm
gribnau

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue

My service manager said to let the bonnet fall in place from approx 15" height and put some force behind it - he mentioned that for YEARS landrover bonnet's need to be closed with force but not push it down but let it fall in place with force - i hope this makes sense.... - Robert

2006 Mercedes SL55 AMG - Black Opal
2005 Porsche Carrera 997 - Artic Silver
2006 Range Rover Sport V8 - Buckingham Blue

Post #695 Wed Jun 29 2005 11:54pm
BulletProofBomb

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Not trying to resurect an old thread here, but this ones helped me out a storm. Bonnet flapping at over 80MPH, search the forum, go out to car, lift bonnet to about 10 inches, cross fingers, close eyes, pray to Thor and SLAM.

Thud

Worked a treat, thanks guys.

I will be making a donation to the site, not just for this little gem, but for all the tit bits of info on here.

Great site.

Cheers

Bullet Bow down Bow down Thumbs Up

Post #253345 Wed Feb 03 2010 6:16am
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Thanks Bullet, much appreciated Bow down Thumbs Up 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #253362 Wed Feb 03 2010 9:16am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>