RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Oil dilution is our fault apparently!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 6 123456>

J2D

United Kingdom 
Oil dilution is our fault apparently!

Just dropped our RRS at the local main dealer to check for oil dilution, as the distance until the next service is dropping at a crazy rate. Explained to the guy that I knew all about this issue, and his response was, if we are not using the vehicle correctly (only short journeys) then it’s our fault! These journeys are causing oil dilution!!!
I’m getting really Censored off with the crap they are telling us, I wish they would just hold there hands and admit there’s an issue.

Not looking forward to the conversation later when they have checked it!

Post #571775 Thu Dec 27 2018 12:53pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

So you pay 70-120k for a vehicle & cannot use it for short journeys Confused What a load of bullshit. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #571776 Thu Dec 27 2018 1:15pm
J2D

United Kingdom 

I know what a joke!
And because they didn’t mention this in there sales brochure, they are offering these early oil services for free on 16-17my 3.0l diesel, up until 1st June 2017, when the sales documents changed.

Post #571780 Thu Dec 27 2018 1:43pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

So glad i changed for petrol. Rolling Eyes SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #571788 Thu Dec 27 2018 2:12pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

J2D wrote:
I know what a joke!
And because they didn’t mention this in there sales brochure, they are offering these early oil services for free on 16-17my 3.0l diesel, up until 1st June 2017, when the sales documents changed.

Does the brochure now say that oil dilution is caused by short journeys or something similar? That's a hell of a thing to tell prospective customers - "our vehicles are not suited to the majority of drivers' actually usage patterns".

No doubt it'll be in 1pt high text on the back cover of the brochure. Legal but weasel. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #571791 Thu Dec 27 2018 2:24pm
Chips

England 

I do 22k miles/year and we suffer the oil dilution issue , the trouble is the amount of stop starts along with failed regens , so I now always try to remember to disable the stop start as every time an engine stops (used to be only once in a journey ) a small amount of fuel drains past the rings into the sump . Also when it regens it over fuels to create extra heat and if you stop the engine before finished this fuels drains into the sump and it has to regen all over again . On my tractors ( I'm a farmer ) a light on the dash tells you when it's doing a regen , and the Operators Manual Cleary states not to switch engine off until finished , if only the rrs had a similar light you could at least try not to have failed regens . On the other hand tractors work hard for longer hours than cars and thus only regens every few weeks where as a car may need to regen every few journeys and you would quickly tire of not being able to switch engine off .

I suspect that all this emission nonsense on cars in the long term will lead to greater emissions than they avoid , given shortened service intervals, shortened engine life and all the extra emissions to build the additional equipment ...Perfect becomes the enemy of good ! MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #571799 Thu Dec 27 2018 4:35pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The number of people over on the Disco forum, and here, who are leaving LR after years of ownership, is testament to how badly wrong LR are in their attitude to customers. This sort of "it's your fault our product is bad" crap only ends in one result: customers leaving the brand. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #571819 Thu Dec 27 2018 7:35pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

That's the real reason sales are down, profits are down, and JLR are now trying to find over £1Bn of cost cutting measures...

Post #571820 Thu Dec 27 2018 8:16pm
gtr_skyline

United Kingdom 

I thought my issue had been fixed but just checked the RRS app on my phone and its stating service is due - driving me bonkers...another call to the dealer tomorrow to book the car in yet again.....

Prashan MY16, 3.0D HSE Dynamic, Barola Black, TV, Rear Entertainment, Opening Pan Roof, Meridian

Post #571826 Thu Dec 27 2018 10:15pm
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

I still believe this scandal has yet to really be outed in the press, if the tailgate gap got attention then this ongoing story of oil dilution, wrong driving style and potential cataclysmic engine or drive failure due to a design oversight will surely will.

Had about a month with the Lexus, still miss the RRS - I miss the drive, the styling, the 'feel' … but don't miss the ongoing and unpredictable threat of "service due" and its repercussions, particularly on longer journeys when I was thinking if I am going to actually get to destination or not. I guess we get sucked in by the look, but just couldn't have a car's brain (of questionable ability) dictating how and when I drove it..

Pity the folk who pick these up second hand and wear the risk through 50,000 miles with or without warranty. Shocked

And at my local dealership I have never seen so many secondhand RRS L494 up for sale ! P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #571832 Fri Dec 28 2018 12:24am
UK Guy

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I’m due a a new car, and certainly won’t be buying another Range Rover.
I’ve currently got 2 range rover sports and 1 Landrover disco and I’m seriously thinking of getting rid of all of them.
If we don’t walk with our wallets, then nothing will change.
Problem is the dealers prey on these “must be rich idiots” who never question anything so think everyone who drives a RR is the same.
I’ve had RR for 12 years, had all the headaches I can bear with these incompetent dealers and enough is enough.
LR have always been bad, but they have just got worse over the time of my ownership.
Known manufacturing flaws which we have to pay for after the warranty has expired, is a joke on such an expensive car.
Seems like a constant flow of issues, plastic intake manifolds made to thin, 2.5k bushes all over the car, 1000s wasted.
They just don’t stand by their product, they pray on the warranty expiring to get rid of their liability and incompetence.
Why do you think these cars have gone coooocko land expensive...? It covers the cost of keeping them on the road for 3 years.

UK Guy RRS HSE with a few extras & a
2013 RRS Autobiography

Post #571846 Fri Dec 28 2018 3:27pm
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

gtr_skyline wrote:
I thought my issue had been fixed but just checked the RRS app on my phone and its stating service is due - driving me bonkers...another call to the dealer tomorrow to book the car in yet again.....

Prashan

It can’t be fixed, it is a design fault.

However, assuming that you’ve got the stamina and know how, you don’t have to put up with the short service intervals. You can reject the vehicle since it is not as described, not of satisfactory quality and depending on when you bought it, was misrepresented in the sales brochure.

Plenty of information on the Discovery Sport site on how to go about a rejection. Some have rejected after 18 months of ownership for full refund less 35p-40p per mile driven.

Post #571858 Fri Dec 28 2018 5:26pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Guys I know within the 'Trade' laugh at the suckers who drive LR cars. They just don't buy or sell JLR products because the cars are a liability to retail !

Surely the engineers at JLR are embarrassed about the poor reputation of the products they put their names behind. Senior management need to take an honest look at themselves and stop blaming Brexit, the EU's forthcoming diesel bans.

Its time to stop believing their own marketing hype and recognise their cars have developed a bad reputation which is hitting residual values hard

Post #571862 Fri Dec 28 2018 7:45pm
harisson

Switzerland 

Hi all
I did a service (3rd) with all filters etc. in Octover with 39500km. Now, I have 44000km and the instrument cluster shows 18500km until next service. The delta is 3000km.
I am aware about the oil dilution problem with the RRS. I never knew about this until I bought the RRS. I googled and also found that nearly every manufacturer has troubles with that

On my past BMW I changed the oil/filter every 20000km (instead of the stupid 30000km long life interval)
The same I will do with my RRS. I also, as far as possible, fill up with BP/Aral Ultimate Diesel because it is free of Biodiesel.

So, my doings to avoid/minimize the issue:
- BP Ultimate Diesel
- oil change every 20tkm
- deactivate the auto start/stop before the journey

My daioy driving distance is 2x15km. 3, 4 timeas a year I drive 1000km one way without long stops.
I drive my cars in this "schema" since 15 years... Range Rover Sport HST D350

Post #571911 Sat Dec 29 2018 3:34pm
scousefly

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Sumatra Black
I’ve moved away

I really wanted a newer sport model 2015~16 but there was nothing in n my car money wise. The dealer basically shafted me from the start on the pcp and rather than get it done again and with all the issues being described I decided to move away to BMW.

Don’t get me wrong the dealer is worse than Guy Salmon of Sheffield as they never call back but I intend to do my servicing via a good Indy where I didn’t with my RRSport. Once bitten twice ......... nah not getting bitten again just got out ASAP.

Post #571923 Sat Dec 29 2018 5:08pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 6 123456>