RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L 494 Oil dilation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 8 12345678>

Been-and-dunit

United Kingdom 
L 494 Oil dilation

Well looks like LR are twitching ,it's 6 months to my next service ,but up came service due on incontrol ,so phoned dealer and they said it's got to have an oil change due to dilution of oil .any one else had this

Post #563762 Wed Aug 22 2018 9:08pm
syl

United Kingdom 

They just changed the oil on mine after 8 months and 6,000 miles (they've had it for a month or so during that time, hence the low miles). It was counting down (50 miles a day for 40 days) to an annual service because it was PDI'd 3 months before I took delivery of it (cancelled sale to someone else, I got a big discount and am still the first registered keeper), and I was going to ignore it, but I had to take it in to the dealer for another issue. They said it needed an oil change anyway in 19 days because of oil dilution (bit of a bloody coincidence I thought). Fortunately, they said the 5 year service plan I have apparently has up to 4 interim oil changes included AS WELL, so they did the oil change for free and I'll be taking it for it's first service in 4 months time, when the oil will be changed again. RRS MY17 SDV6 AB
Evoque MY17 TD4 AB

Post #563765 Wed Aug 22 2018 9:45pm
wilf

This issue is the main reason why I got out of my car before the OE warranty expired.

Oh - and being outright lied to by the Dealer about it didn't help. In fact it made me decide to turn my back on JLR products for ever. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #563791 Thu Aug 23 2018 1:06pm
Dave Harries

United Kingdom 

I bought my car at the end of march this year MY16. After 3500 miles I had the service message come up, phone dealer and they said bring it in and we will reset it. After waiting an hour the receptionist said that the oil had been diluted and would need to be changed, thankfully Land Rover covered the cost. Seriously considering a petrol one now too many stories with the diesel.

Post #564298 Sat Sep 01 2018 12:50pm
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

The software seems to be be over pessimistic, an owner on the Disco5 had his oil analyzed and it was at 0.5%.

The car's software said 6.1% 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #564299 Sat Sep 01 2018 1:24pm
IRBails

Australia 

Dave Harries wrote:
I bought my car at the end of march this year MY16. After 3500 miles I had the service message come up, phone dealer and they said bring it in and we will reset it. After waiting an hour the receptionist said that the oil had been diluted and would need to be changed, thankfully Land Rover covered the cost. Seriously considering a petrol one now too many stories with the diesel.

Wonder how the dealer knew the oil was diluted? Do they test the oil ? Does the car's internals test the oil? I have just had a service, 3,000 k's early and decided to get my oil tested. Modern trucks have Oil testing devices on board, some other vehicles use algorithms , I have yet to find out what the Range Rover uses to determine oil quality. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #564372 Sun Sep 02 2018 11:07pm
wilf

The car's computer calculates a dilution figure based on the number of DPF regens.

So it is a synthetic, calculated figure, not an actual measured one. An algorithm.

Mine was supposedly "OK" according to the dealer, but according to the Millers oil analysis, it was 8% diluted. Dangerously high level, with engine wear already starting. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #564381 Mon Sep 03 2018 8:17am
IRBails

Australia 

Wilf still a mystery to me, are you saying regens are based on oil dilution, which still would require some sort of test ? I meanhow does the vehicle know the oil is diluted with out some sort of internal test ? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #564439 Mon Sep 03 2018 11:40pm
Red Arrow

United Kingdom 

wilf wrote:
The car's computer calculates a dilution figure based on the number of DPF regens.

So it is a synthetic, calculated figure, not an actual measured one. An algorithm.

Mine was supposedly "OK" according to the dealer, but according to the Millers oil analysis, it was 8% diluted. Dangerously high level, with engine wear already starting.

How many miles had the oil done (and the car in total ) when Millers tested the sample and what product was it ?
Thanks

Post #564440 Tue Sep 04 2018 12:03am
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

IRBails wrote:
Wilf still a mystery to me, are you saying regens are based on oil dilution, which still would require some sort of test ? I meanhow does the vehicle know the oil is diluted with out some sort of internal test ?

My understanding is that it's the other way round. The DPF sensor indicates ash build up in the filter and the car decides it needs to regenerate it. Part of the re-gen process is to introduce excess fuel so that some unburnt fuel enters the filter to create heat in the filter to burn off the ash. It's the process of intoducing the excess unburnt fuel which allows it to enter the oil, thus diluting it. More short trips=more diesel particulate build up in the filter=more frequent re-gens=more diesel in the oil (=premature engine wear?).
When I was looking for my L320, although I wanted a face-lift, I didn't want a DPF for that very reason, and this did restrict the number of cars I could look at. Glad I did though.

Post #564450 Tue Sep 04 2018 9:04am
wilf

Red Arrow wrote:
wilf wrote:

Mine was supposedly "OK" according to the dealer, but according to the Millers oil analysis, it was 8% diluted. Dangerously high level, with engine wear already starting.

How many miles had the oil done (and the car in total ) when Millers tested the sample and what product was it ?
Thanks

The oil was whatever LR had put in at the previous service, and had done 6K miles. Total mileage about 40k. Dilution was at 8.5%. My normal usage pattern for that car was NOT urban crawling, 95% fast A road and M'ways. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #564452 Tue Sep 04 2018 9:17am
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

Exactly the same issue that affects the 2.0d Discovery Sport and some Velar models, JLR document JLRP000100 refers to procedure dealers should adopt, although many try to ignore the guidelines and either blame it driving style & try to get you to pay or say it’s just a software glitch which requires resetting.

Seems that LR want to keep brushing this problem under the carpet since they are doing nothing about an issue which will eventually reduce engine life & will not be their problem once the car is out of warranty

Post #564482 Tue Sep 04 2018 6:52pm
Coedlan

United Kingdom 

Is the safeguard against this weakness intermediate oil changes then?
I would rather do my own intermediate oil change than trust the “algorithm”

Post #564496 Tue Sep 04 2018 8:58pm
IRBails

Australia 

Oldandconfused wrote:
IRBails wrote:
Wilf still a mystery to me, are you saying regens are based on oil dilution, which still would require some sort of test ? I meanhow does the vehicle know the oil is diluted with out some sort of internal test ?

Part of the re-gen process is to introduce excess fuel so that some unburnt fuel enters the filter to create heat in the filter to burn off the ash. It's the process of intoducing the excess unburnt fuel which allows it to enter the oil, thus diluting it. More short trips=more diesel particulate build up in the filter=more frequent re-gens=more diesel in the oil (=premature engine wear?).

The DPF filter is in the exhaust so I can't see how the regen process adds fuel to the oil? So I am still confused, I think the service intervals are most likely a software algorithm , Land Rover seems to be pretty average when it comes to software, but would love to believe it is active monitoring which would really be the best for engine life . M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #564511 Tue Sep 04 2018 10:36pm
IRBails

Australia 

Coedlan wrote:
Is the safeguard against this weakness intermediate oil changes then?
I would rather do my own intermediate oil change than trust the “algorithm”

Oil is cheap insurance IMO , although new syn. oils can do the distance no issue it is the dilution that is the issue. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #564512 Tue Sep 04 2018 10:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 8 12345678>