RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > L 494 Oil dilation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>

Chips

England 

I couldn't get a pipe to fit down the pipe o I got one to fit tightly over it and sucked out a sample.
Anyway took it in to Land rover today and their test read 7% dilution so they changed the oil and filter FOC.
Going forward I asked if by buying extended warranty when mine expires means I would be covered for crank failure , of course said the salesman it's exactly the same as manufactures warranty as that's how we're told to sell it , I then filled him in on the exemption for known faults etc and need for goodwill , he denied this but the head service guy overheard the conversation and came over and said fair do's Sir you know your stuff your 100% right , the salesman looked shocked as he had no idea !
Anyway I'm pretty sure if I keep LR service and buy extended warranty one way or another they will cover the issue should it happen , however at £800 for warranty/yr plus another £180 for extra oil changes at 6mths on top of the normal service at £450 say makes me tempted to put that money in to a new one when the time comes . I could change my MY16 rrs with 43k on the clock for a brand new DISCO 5 hse with 306hp diesel and dynamic handling which has just been added to the option list and thus in essence it's now identical in performance and handling to an MY17 RRS dynamic , along with 3yrs warranty and 5 yrs service pack for £13k thanks to 13% NFU discounts on the RRS on top of dealer discounts, very tempted on this as I'm worried our RRS is starting to date in appearance now with the face lift out and the disco has a bigger boot for our daughter's wheel chair . Would cost nearer £30k to change to a RRS dynamic as only small NFU discounts on these MY 18 RRS HSE Dynamic ,MY 16 RRS Autobiography now gone & MY 2005 Discovery 3 HSE that I will be buried in !

Post #569480 Thu Nov 22 2018 8:32pm
Oldandconfused

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Just found this on Disco3;

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/horror-story-176899.html

Still a bit confused though. Does this mean that the sensor is showing the oil to be diluted when it is in fact not? Does it mean there will be less unburnt diesel injected during a DPF regen cycle? Are you then going to sacrifice the DPF for the engine (still expensive).
Thank goodness mine doesn't have a DPF.

Post #569481 Thu Nov 22 2018 8:35pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

thanks for the replies on extracting oil for analysis.
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #569486 Thu Nov 22 2018 8:53pm
Been-and-dunit

United Kingdom 

Does any one no what oil Land Rover uses, is it Castrol or Shell when servicing, as I am thinking of giving the oil manufacture a ring about % of dilation thanks

Post #569487 Thu Nov 22 2018 9:01pm
wilf

Oldandconfused wrote:
Just found this on Disco3;

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/horror-story-176899.html

Still a bit confused though. Does this mean that the sensor is showing the oil to be diluted when it is in fact not? Does it mean there will be less unburnt diesel injected during a DPF regen cycle? Are you then going to sacrifice the DPF for the engine (still expensive).
Thank goodness mine doesn't have a DPF.

There is NO sensor in that engine to measure fuel dilution AFAIK. That particular post is, IMHO, extremely misleading. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #569516 Fri Nov 23 2018 8:13am
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

Met up with a buddy last night, he is a chemistry professor.

Talked to him about new car etc and my reasons for changing. Mentioned oil dilution etc and the 6.1% trigger etc.... He was shocked !! He said that even 2% contaminant of a non-oil product being introduced to oil will cause emulsification, foaming and a loss of lubrication.

He said you can see this effect yourself. Take some cooking oil in a cup, about 1cm deep, add just a few drops of water... shake and see what happens -- you get lots of air bubbles and the oil mixture has trouble sticking to the cup.. Now think of that going on in a 3000RPM environment day in day out... The engine will be aging well ahead of it's time.

Bottom line is that you can't argue with the chemistry no matter what hogwash LR put out.

Lexus turns up tomorrow Smile P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #569525 Fri Nov 23 2018 10:15am
wilf

Well, diesel fuel isn't a "non oil" product. So while your Professor friend is right, he is not really comparing apples with apples.

It is just a low viscosity oil with very little lubricity.

My own engine oil analysis (done by Millers) showed that at 8% dilution, wear metals were starting to enter the oil. They felt that 8% was more than enough to damage the engine. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #569527 Fri Nov 23 2018 10:27am
BoldlyGo

United Kingdom 

Quite right Wilf.. I think the general point was that a contaminant with different qualities to the host oil had a detrimental impact. P400e HSE Portofino Blue and Ivory Seats.. it's like a yacht!!
Lexus traded in ..a total piece of crap
Boldly now acquired - a Lexus RX 450hL
BoldlyGone...Sep 15 MY16 RRS SDV6, HSE, Barolo Black, Espresso/Almond interior.. Best car ever & Drop dead gorgeous... sadly with fuel dilution headaches that became intolerable
Arrived 2014. Oct - Lemoned March 2015- RRS SDV6 HSE
Boldly Gone = Sold for 14k via Pistonheads - 2006 TDV6 SE Buck Blue/Almond int

Post #569528 Fri Nov 23 2018 10:56am
wilf

Can't disagree with that. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #569534 Fri Nov 23 2018 12:01pm
Been-and-dunit

United Kingdom 

My head is in a spin over all this 🤞🤞

Post #569559 Fri Nov 23 2018 7:08pm
IRBails

Australia 

All this is very easy to solve, 25,000 k's is just too long to go between oil changes due to the number of DPF cleans. So simple solution is change at half distances and save the engine and pay a small price for the security. Oil is cheap. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #569569 Fri Nov 23 2018 9:31pm
Coedlan

United Kingdom 

Can somebody please clarify the DPF action that results in oil dilution
If the vehicle is always driven long distances at speed (under reasonable load), does the DPF normally keep itself clean, or does it always eventually clog up and require regeneration, regardless of optimal engine operation?

If the vehicle is driven short distances at urban speeds, I’m guessing that the DPF will clog due to low exhaust temperatures and the engine management system will always have to invoke a DPF clean, which maybe doesn’t complete during the journey and hence is repeated much more frequently leading to oil dilution.

My fundamental question is..... Is there ever a scenario where the DPF is cleaned (or prevented from clogging) without the engine management system invoking the additional fuel for the regeneration?

Post #569571 Fri Nov 23 2018 10:07pm
wilf

Yes, when the engine is working hard enough for exhaust gas temperatures to naturally be high enough to burn off the carbon in the DPF. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #569577 Fri Nov 23 2018 10:34pm
timhum

United Kingdom 

I made the assumption perhaps incorrectly, that when an engine is working hard it is burning much more fuel and hence producing many more contaminants. This leads to the need for more dpf regenerations and greater adblue useage.
This led me to conclude that gentler use over reasonable distances would be the most economic in the use of ad blue and the number of regens.
My experience of fast drives through France is that they cause the adblue range to drop quite considerably, more than the mileage covered.
Can anyone with actual knowledge, rather than heresay, of these systems offer any comment please?
Tim Tim
RRS sold and replaced with a Skoda Kodiaq after appalling RR Dealer experience and LR inability to supply new cars in any sort of reasonable time frame..

Post #569587 Fri Nov 23 2018 11:54pm
wilf

The exhaust gas temperature of a diesel engine directly correlates with load.

DPFs are designed to passively regenerate when exhaust gas temperatures are high enough, i.e. when the engine is working hard enough.

This is very simple. Which bit of this basic thermodynamic stuff do you need a further expert on?

And adblue injection also correlates with load (i.e. volume of exhaust gas in which to reduce nitrous oxide emissions), so drive it hard, and you will use more adblue. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

Post #569605 Sat Nov 24 2018 8:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 7 of 8 <12345678>