RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Please help with a fuel leak.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Gas-guzzler

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 Sumatra Black
Please help with a fuel leak.

Got fuel dripping (steady 1 drop per second) but only when the engines running so hopefully rules out a leaking tank. Seems to do it regardless of the fuel quantity in the tank. It’s right at the front of the fuel tank tray. A question I have is does a RR Sport 3.6 TDI V8 on an ‘07 plate have the two lifter access points under the rear seat please? Or is that just for models with the tank mounted side to side rather than front to back as mine is mounted. If does I think I’ll attack it that way rather dropping the tank as a lot of YouTube videos appear to be leaks coming from cracks in the plastic on the lifter pump or the filter. Also, am I right in thinking that is the location of the filter on my car please.
Thanks.

Post #627622 Mon Oct 24 2022 6:24pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

All L320 RRS have the front-to-rear tank and none are accessed from below the rear seats.

Start with the fuel filter housing / filter. You can see it just at the front of the tank in your pictures and it's accessed by dropping the large plastic transmission undershield. There's a water-in-fuel sensor drain point that might be leaking, otherwise perhaps replace the filter and sensor with a new one of decent quality i.e. OEM or LR, not cheap ebay items. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #627625 Mon Oct 24 2022 6:48pm
Gas-guzzler

That sounds like a good starting point thanks. I’ll keep this thread posted with how I get on. Cheers.

Post #627628 Mon Oct 24 2022 9:58pm
Gas-guzzler

Thanks to RRSTDV8 for saving me the hassle of dropping the fuel tank only then to find that’s not the problem and having to refit before moving onto the filter assembly. I’m sure you’re correct in your diagnosis and that is certainly where the fuel appears to be coming from. I’ve ordered a new filter (OEM) and am wondering, when I replace it, is it sensible to leave the water drain open to help bleed the air from the filter or is that floored thinking? Thanks again.

Post #627629 Mon Oct 24 2022 11:44pm
Gas-guzzler

Thanks to RRSTDV8, you were spot on. Old fuel filter in poor shape and way overdue a change. Swapped it for a new one and fuel leak is gone. Thanks again for your help. Thumbs Up

Post #627763 Sat Oct 29 2022 11:08am
NoExpert

Poland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Fuji White

Damn, that’s one rough looking fuel filter. I changed mine not too long ago and it looked new compared to that. 2011 RRS HSE Luxury 3.0 TDV6 Fuji White on Ebony/Ivory
Born and raised in So Cal. Moved to the UK in 2018 for a few years. Now in Poland and looking at moving back to the UK.

Post #627767 Sat Oct 29 2022 1:20pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Gas-guzzler wrote:
Thanks to RRSTDV8, you were spot on. Old fuel filter in poor shape and way overdue a change. Swapped it for a new one and fuel leak is gone. Thanks again for your help. Thumbs Up

Glad you got it sorted out relatively painlessly. Thumbs Up

You just need to figure out which garage didn't change the filter when it should have and then avoid them in the future. Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #627796 Sun Oct 30 2022 8:58pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1