RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > MY 2013 RRS Heated Steering Wheel Upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>

Lonescout

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I'm guessing you won't have to change the electronics from Linbus to Canbus as your vehicle is later than mine. Not sure though.
I dropped on my wheel by luck on Ebay, didn't need the flappy paddle bit and would have save some money not fitting it! It was there though so I made it work. I picked up the clock spring off eBay too. The circuit boards came from BBS in Cyprus and the 12v feed wire and plug from the Disco3/4 sister forum.
Parts ordered on the Thursday night, the last part arrived the following Monday (everything else including the parts from Cyprus arrived on Saturday!). All fitted between getting home from work at tea time and going to Scouts for 7PM.

Post #528592 Tue Jun 20 2017 7:24pm
Lonescout

Duplicate post Ooops! Embarassed

Post #528593 Tue Jun 20 2017 7:24pm
Evo5man

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I hope that my upgrade goes as simply as yours!

I have been told that for my 2013 model, it should be just a change of steering wheel and clockspring and if I am really lucky, I may even have the heated steering wheel clockspring already fitted Very Happy But in my experience you should plan for the worst and hope for the best Thumbs Up

Regards,

Steve

Post #528594 Tue Jun 20 2017 7:30pm
Lonescout

There's plenty of info on our sister forum, with pictures too. It's easy enough to check your clock spring, you just need to remove your steering wheel. A 25 minute job - 20 of those waiting after disconnecting the battery (airbag safety)!

Post #528595 Tue Jun 20 2017 7:36pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Exactly same principal to remove 2013 wheel.

Cheers
Col

Post #528612 Tue Jun 20 2017 10:29pm
Evo5man

Thanks for the Video link Col Thumbs Up

I am looking on UK auction sites for a 2013 L320 heated steering wheel without much luck but I have found both L322 and Discovery 4 heated steering wheels with the switch packs, air bag and gear change paddles which look the same.

Do you have any idea if these are interchangeable i.e. would they be compatible with my 2013 RRS?

Thanks Thumbs Up

Steve

Post #528646 Wed Jun 21 2017 9:58am
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

There are 2 types of ECU that come in the heated wheel. The later type will not work, i had a 2014 Discovery 4 heated wheel and Dan at Duckworths sent me every switch pack going and i still couldn't get it to work Big Cry

In the end I brought a brand new wheel as im fussy about my interior and everything on flea bay looked damaged or scratched and i wanted the same perforated leather wheel as the non heated. 👍 See link below

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic153920.html 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #528649 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:36am
Col

Hi,

I don't think the L322 wheel and switch packs would fit, however the steering wheel I mentioned was also fitted to the D4 Luxury Ltd Edition, the paddle shift levers are the same, those particular switch packs were not fitted to the D4 but that may be due to the noble trim and ebony colour plastic as I thought the D4 were different. The clock spring is the same as is the link wire. As so many parts on the D4 are the same as the Sport I would of thought it would fit ok. but really couldn't be certain.

Cheers
Col

Post #528653 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:47am
Evo5man

Thanks Buckster Thumbs Up

I think that I will be heading the same way as you with a new wheel, I too am very fussy about my cars. Just waiting for Dan at Duckworth to come back to me with some prices Thumbs Up

Cheers

Steve

Post #528654 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:49am
Evo5man

Col wrote:
Hi,

I don't think the L322 wheel and switch packs would fit, however the steering wheel I mentioned was also fitted to the D4 Luxury Ltd Edition, the paddle shift levers are the same, those particular switch packs were not fitted to the D4 but that may be due to the noble trim and ebony colour plastic as I thought the D4 were different. The clock spring is the same as is the link wire. As so many parts on the D4 are the same as the Sport I would of thought it would fit ok. but really couldn't be certain.

Cheers
Col

Thanks Col Thumbs Up I think that I will either buy new or wait for a mint used 2013 RRS heated wheel to come up on fleabay to ensure compatibility, don't want to end up with a garage full of steering wheels, switch packs and clocksprings that won't fit or work Laughing I have plenty of time before the winter arrives. At the moment we could do with a chilled steering wheel option here, 31 Deg C expected today!!!

Cheers

Steve

Post #528657 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:56am
Col

How about fitting one of these wheels.

Click image to enlarge

Cheers
Col

Post #528659 Wed Jun 21 2017 10:58am
Evo5man

Now that looks like the Bee's Knees Smile

I have exactly the same interior colour combination, piano black trim with ivory Thumbs Up

That is EXACTLY what I am looking for, was this wheel an RRS L320 option?

Cheers

Steve

Post #528668 Wed Jun 21 2017 11:35am
Col

They work out quite expensive really but are excellent quality and although they may not look it are a very comfortable grip, and as it is a original spec. wheel switches and paddles fit perfectly.

http://www.powerfuluk.com/vehicles/range-r...piano.html

Cheers
Col

Post #528669 Wed Jun 21 2017 11:59am
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Disco 4 Lux wheel and paddles are the same, but need to be from an earlier car to have the older style ECU. I couldn't get the new style ECU to work using Dans assortment of switch packs.

The problem with the older wheels that come up to obtain the earlier ECU is that they are all well used! This is why i lost my rag with it in the end and sold the 2014 Disco 4 wheel and brought the correct one for the job! Could of saved myself a world of pain!! Rolling with laughter 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #528671 Wed Jun 21 2017 12:43pm
Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

@col - Does the piano black part of that steering wheel heat up also or is it just the leather part?

Post #528677 Wed Jun 21 2017 1:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>