RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > 2014 RRS buying guide?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

cfoster

United Kingdom 
2014 RRS buying guide?

Hi all, looking at chopping my BMW M4 in for a slightly more practical RRS around the 2014/2015. Is there a decent buying guide anywhere, I've had a search on here and cannot find one!

Are they more reliable than the earlier one, if so is it just because they are still 'new' as such?

Also are there any must have options when searching and options to avoid?

Thanks

Post #528085 Tue Jun 13 2017 2:47pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

If you want 4WD Low ratio be aware not all models have it. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #528103 Tue Jun 13 2017 4:54pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I'll sell my 2014 autobiography in fuji at the right money Wink Wink only 33000miles with full LR history,,serviced last sat & 13 months LR approved warranty which is transferable.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #528108 Tue Jun 13 2017 6:57pm
Slimtrim

United Kingdom 

I don't think there's a definitive guide, it's personal preference at the end of the day. I recall reading a post here to steer clear of cars with low mileage, 22" alloys and lots of other things, however those went out of the window when I purchased a 16 month old rrs sc with 3k miles and I've never regretted the purchase, though it comes with minor reliability issues so as other brands.

Would suggest you opt for the AB as they come with decent level of spec. Dual screen or rear entertainment system is a plus if you've got munchkins to ferry around. Meridian sound system is a must have as I like my music. Surround view camera - has its merits but not for me. My wife's rrs sc has surround view and it's annoying that you have to activate it while reserving for all cameras to come on. Auto park assist is another option she has that we've only used twice to make sure it works - not worth it.

Panoramic sliding roof lets enough light in but we hardly have it open on both cars. We have deployable side steps on both mine and hers, and it helps getting in and out of the car. I know access height is another option for easy access but haven't figured how that works. Deployable tow bar on wife's car is miles better than the fixed bar I have on mine - again we've never used the cars for towing. I have blind spot monitor and close vehicle sensing in mine and I can't speak highly enough of this option especially when reserving outward from a bay or driveway.

Cruise control with queue assist I would recommend as well as heated steering wheel and seats. Not so sure about the cooling seats though. Cool box highly recommended but I always forget it's there to chill the drinks in hot weather.

Can't comment on diesel engines as we both have 5L SC variant- all I can say is they are thirsty. We average between 12-14mpg in London traffic, but the sound makes up for it.

I must say these cars comes with tons of options which I've never delved in to explore, mind you these options might not all be standard.

Make sure the car comes with at least few months of manufacturer warranty. Mine went in for service 2 weeks ago and subsequently diagnosed as needing new sunroof motor due to whining noise when opening. So the entire roof is being stripped off and will require a respray afterwards all covered by the warranty.

As you're coming from an M4, you'd quickly realise the infortainment system on the rrs is an absolute let down.

Post #528113 Tue Jun 13 2017 7:23pm
robmeister1969

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Interesting as I sold my M4 (YMB) a few weeks ago as it wasn't getting used and I wanted to put the money in to an L494 RRS to replace my now 12 year old RRS SC FE used as the family car. I bought a Mini JCW as a runaround.

Similarly I would like a 14 or more likely 15 as I'd like a good period of warranty coverage left - have had a few (not too expensive) things need fixing on my current RRS.

I'm planning on a black HSE Dynamic but the only must have is the sliding panoramic roof. I think I prefer the ivory interior (which I currently have) but I previously had a nearly new RRS TDV8 with an ebony interior which I remember liking a lot at the time.

I'm tempted, rather than buying a 2015 outright, to buy a new RRS on a PCP deal particularly given the certainty about the residual value but spending so much on the interest element puts me off.

I do wonder if there are going to be good some deals on used cars as I've seen the same stock hanging around at a few (mostly indie dealers) that I've been monitoring. 2005 RRS First Edition Supercharged
2015 BMW M4

Post #528115 Tue Jun 13 2017 7:48pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The buying guide for L494 RRS is basically the same as the one for L320 RRS as apart from engine outputs and optional extras the essentials haven't changed a lot (OK so the ladder chassis is no longer on L494 saving some 400kgs weight over the L320). Even though 99% of RRS's made never go further offroad than Waitrose carpark, do inspect the underneath for damage as you may be looking at one of the 1% that do go offroad. Otherwise all the usual things apply - all the toys are working, full LR Service history and also check if the optional service contract was taken out as it is transferable) Approved Used warranty is highly desirable and only available on franchise LR dealer stock. L494 RRS appears to suffer less issues than L320's but when things go wrong they can be hugely expensive if you don't have a warranty and franchised dealers have the best cars. Avoid any modified cars - often the mods cost the earth but they devalue the car as mods are a very personal thing, especially Kahn and Overfinch mods, there are doubts about the quality of Kahn modifications - Overfinch have been modifying Range Rovers since God was a boy but sometimes the "upgrades" are of doubtful taste and don't pay any extra for them - they often devalue the car over a similar age/ miles standard unmolested version.
I would say that there are no "must have " options on a n RRS as even an HSE is nicely equipped but if you keep you car outside all the time them for additional comfort in winter the optional heated steering wheel and / or optional park heating are worth having. If the car is to be a weekend toy them the dealer fit builtin, optional battery conditioner is nice to have but they are rare as hens teeth. The Climate control is excellent so no need for the opening panoramic roof unless you really want one but they have been reported as creating additional wind noise in an otherwise very quiet car. There are no problems running on the OEM optional 22" wheels on any version as the air suspension (standard) smothers any additional roughness from the lower profile tyres fitted - I have run 3 x RRS over the years on 19",20" and now 22" wheels and I really find it impossible to feel any additional harshness in the ride on 22" wheels - I also offroad mine on the 22" 100% road biased tyres and so far have not required any tow out/ recover from muddy situations as the ediffs have coped really well and the systems are designed to work best on showroom condition cars without enhancements like All Terrain tyres or MTR's. I hasten to add that i don't take my HSE Dynamic into situations that I wouldn't hestitate to take my Defender into on it's MTR's but the RRS I would say on ATR's is as capable and maybe better offroad than my 1996 Defender as the RRS has kit that my Defender doesn't have like an extra Locking diff, Traction Control, Hill Dsecent Control and Auto Terrain Responce, none of which are available for Defenders - the L494 RRS can also wade in far deeper water water than my Defender. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #528122 Tue Jun 13 2017 11:08pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BKHK

Australia 

Interesting conversation, I have a runaround car because I don't use the M3 as a daily driver and I have just been offered a 70k mile 2010 SC which I am thinking about as a replacement for my current runaround car. What would a 2010 SC with 70k mikes be worth in the UK, assuming full history etc?

Post #528124 Tue Jun 13 2017 11:52pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

BK, here is a.link to Land Rover UK's approved used listing for this week of all the 5ltr S/C's available in the dealer network that are up to 5 years old to give you some idea of what the dealerships ask for them. I have filtered for only Petrol engined RRS and the oldest I can select is 5 years old however Approved Used covers cars up to 100,000 miles on the odo so there may be older cars in the network but they won't show here - as S/C'x are not common and unless they are SVRs then they do have a high depreciation here. http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/search
The postal code used is W3 5SL which is a London dealer's (Lookers Park Royal) post code if the link doesn't work 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #528126 Wed Jun 14 2017 5:18am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
cfoster

United Kingdom 

Thanks all for the detailed replies, really appreciate it. Engine wise I would probably opt for the Diesel variant rather than the S/C, i've had a number of thirsty vehicles in the last couple of years (SL5, C63 etc) so would like something a little better than mid-teen consumption.

Is there a definitive list of options around to have a look through? My main preferences would be the audio system (I like my music), rear entertainment would be handy for sproglet, panoramic would be good as well as heated s/wheel. I presume heated seats are standard?

I've heard the nav system is pretty outdated. Is it really that bad? I'm currently blessed with the excellent BMW nav at present which I find great and of course understand it won't be as good.

I've spoke to a friend who works at my local JLR dealer and popping over there Friday to have a drive of one, hopefully it will meet my expectations!

Just had a look on the network, this one looks a nice one (I actually like the colour combo...)

http://www.usedvehicles.landrover.co.uk/search#/details/2756419

Post #528136 Wed Jun 14 2017 11:02am
kmpowell

At that age you will be close to hitting a significant MY update on the SDV6. Put the extra towards the better engine IIWY.

MY15.5 (March 2015) saw the introduction of the significantly better 306hp engine, which has lower tax, more hp, more torque and much better MPG.

MY16 (Sep 2015) on top of the new 306hp engine there was a Software Interface update for the ICE system, and some rejigged button configuration on the dash i.e. push button climate/seats etc. SOLD - MY16 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic - Fire Engine Red, Fixed contrast pan roof, TV, Dual Screen, 5+2, Privacy, Noble paddles.

Post #528140 Wed Jun 14 2017 11:24am
BKHK

Australia 

Thanks Tim in Scotland. My offer is looking better, its actually just 60k miles and the price is around 25k pounds which doesn't seem too bad.

I will see how much pocket money Mrs BKHK will let me have. We have had a few Rangies over the years (3x P38 and 2x 2.7 Sports) 4 have had a few issues and 1 was trouble free. S

Normally when I mention the words Range Rover, she goes a bit Birko. She won't drive it so I might just turn up with it, see if I've still got both the following morning Laughing

Post #528148 Wed Jun 14 2017 1:43pm
Slimtrim

United Kingdom 

If your main preference is audio then I'd suggest going for cars with 825watts meridian system. The standard 320watts audio is not that great, it's like having BMW standard audio where every tune is flat.

Adaptive cruise control with queue assist is another option to consider if you occasionally do long motorway drive.

Nav is bug standard tbh compared to bmw professional media, but you'll overlook this as the entire car makes up for it. Funny thing is Range Rover claims it's high resolution - horses for courses I guess.

Oh if your going for a 2014/15 model, try negotiate a tracker to be fitted within the deal as that will save you few hundreds if not thousands insuring the vehicle.

Post #528160 Wed Jun 14 2017 8:15pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Here you go,,2014 autobiography only 33000miles,excellent condition,gets waxed every month,ivory/ebony int,pan roof,queue assist,side steps,mud flaps,approved warranty,cat 5 tracker with fobs insurance approved& also standard cat 6.no finance on car.53k will buy it.

Click image to enlarge

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #528166 Wed Jun 14 2017 9:33pm
IRBails

Australia 

That looks nice Andy $90,000 Aussie dollars . That car would have been in the $160,000 Aussie range when new or 95 pound in your language.

https://www.carsales.com.au/dealer/details...3850/?Cr=1 M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #528172 Wed Jun 14 2017 10:56pm
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

a brand new AB in ZA is now around R2 million, or 124,000 pounds. Shocked

a 2014 one is now around half the original price. --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #528180 Thu Jun 15 2017 9:23am
Post Reply  Back to top