Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Question on 2005-2009 Instrument Clusters
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

RRSCruiser

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black
Question on 2005-2009 Instrument Clusters

Hi

I'm having a range of problems, I have detailed them in two others threads and am progressing slowly as I mend after an operation.

For background

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46292-15.html

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46534.html

My question is regarding the IPC on the sport, I have purchased the GAP IID and Patrick has confirmed that you can program a used cluster as a replacement. I am approaching this point of trying another IPC and am baulking at the quoted £1100+ price i have got from an indie including a huge caveat that I will have to pay even if it doesn't fix the problem as they are not 100%.

Whilst I am happy to work my way through this problem and i have found 7 things thus far that i have have remedied for the overall health of the beast but alas none of these have fixed the interrmittent shutting down of the car.

I am with a new alternator, genuine LR, new battery Exide 900Ah as mentioned by Disco Mikey on another post.

Does anyone know why there are so many part numbers for the IPC unit on the sport, ours is a YAC502190, dated 24/01/07. I am looking for one of these at less mileage than our car (134K) so the IID can upload the CCF from the BCM and CJB.

On trawling Ebay, gumtree, breakers yards i can find many clusters all that look right but they all have different part codes so i am stuck. I am happy to take a punt on a replacement cluster if i can get a cheap unit to try and if it doesn't sort the issue I have lost a small amount.

Some example other codes YAC502590, YAC500026, YAC500027, YAC5000289 and it goes on.....

Can anyone shed any light on all these codes and variants that exist, the cheapest i have found was £48 right up to new ones at circa £888 + Vat + fitting + no guarantees

Thanks in advance

Post #518517 Tue Feb 21 2017 8:30pm
flack

It dont really matter as long as its from any from 2005 to 2009 they should work when you have done it the correct way when changing them over. There might be slight differences in the CCF if the donor car has had some changes made to it.
Make a back up first, as you have the IID tool this is done as soon as you connect it to the car.And make sure you have a power supply connected.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #518542 Wed Feb 22 2017 12:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
dddrrift

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zambezi Silver

I am about to tackle this myself, my original cluster was cremated by a fire inside the car, I have a replacement unit and JLR SDD but im unsure what to do next? Whats your plan of attack when you get a used one? are you swapping the eeprom or just hoping for a cluster with lower mileage?

Post #518577 Wed Feb 22 2017 12:43pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

well I think supercharged ones have orange needles.
I guess the revcounter goes higher

I'll get my coat. ......

Post #518580 Wed Feb 22 2017 1:08pm
RRSCruiser

dddrrift wrote:
I am about to tackle this myself, my original cluster was cremated by a fire inside the car, I have a replacement unit and JLR SDD but im unsure what to do next? Whats your plan of attack when you get a used one? are you swapping the eeprom or just hoping for a cluster with lower mileage?

Hi

I purchased a GAP IIDBT which has an additional option to reprogram a used IPC. Patrick @ GAP has sent through an outline process so i could understand the steps whilst i was looking for a cluster.

The only criteria I am told is the replacement cluster needs to have less miles on it than your car as the milies are stored in the car in two other places. When you go through the steps, the IPC can only be incremented hence why it needs to be less or accept that your miles for the car will jump up to match the highest value stored in any of the 3 places, IPC, BCM or CJB

I have been trawling for a same part numbered cluster of less miles, with little success hence my question about te variants that are out there. I am going to widen the serach now based on Flack's response, just need the less miles bit

Speak with Patrick (via mail), he's very helpful and I had all these questions before I purchased the IID so i could better understand what is happening in faults inside the car.

From what i have understood anyone with an Autologic can only install a brand new IPC, hence where my £1100 quote was obtained. I started to make enquiries about options which is what established that the GAP tool can offer a cheaper option, thankfully

Hope that helps

Post #518615 Wed Feb 22 2017 6:17pm
dddrrift

thanks for the reply! i have JLR SDD which i think will recode a used cluster as 'new'...... hopefully.
had some help from the guys on digital kaos forum who advise me to swap the eeprom over and program the used cluster as new and it will work ok.

nothing to lose so i shall give it a go and report back Smile

Post #518616 Wed Feb 22 2017 6:24pm
RRSCruiser

Just googled what is a JLR SDD, reads well, never heard of it before but very interested to hear how you get on.

Good luck on the update and testing

Post #518936 Sat Feb 25 2017 1:50pm
dddrrift

it was a bit of a coin toss between it and the gap tool, but for all the SDD cost i thought i migjt aswell give it a try. A friend has a GAP tool i can borrow but pretty sure i have to pay £60 to register my vin number in order to use it. fingers cross it all works out!

Last edited by dddrrift on Wed Mar 22 2017 5:08pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #518976 Sat Feb 25 2017 10:13pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

.......and of course Diesel and Petrol are different models. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #518984 Sat Feb 25 2017 10:41pm
RRSCruiser

dddrrift wrote:
it was a bit of a coin toss between it and the gap tool, but for all the SDD cost i thought i migjt aswell give it a try. A friend has a GAP tool i can borrow but pretty sure i have to pay £60 to register my vin number in order to use it. fingers cross it all works out!

made some progress today, heres some poor iphone pics Rolling with laughter

Blimey, what happened to your car, I enjoy doing projects where things are taken apart and made good, my 1994 110 Defender is case in point BUT thats an old beast, needed TLC to cure the tin rot and all the woes of defender leaks, rust and tolerance issues to turn it into what it should have been

But to do this to a newer car, I'm getting bolder on our 10 year old TDV8 as its so nice but way out of warranty and I do a little at a time to keep it running

Did you mention a fire?

Post #519028 Sun Feb 26 2017 11:58am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I think he purchased it as a burnt out wreck.

Post #519030 Sun Feb 26 2017 12:07pm
RRSCruiser

Braver than me on one of these cars, but I love this and look forward to seeing it complete and back on the road,

Post #519033 Sun Feb 26 2017 12:29pm
dddrrift

heres a link to the thread, few more pics on page 1 Smile

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46987.html

Post #519035 Sun Feb 26 2017 12:59pm
RRSCruiser

WOW, looks dramatic, interesting that the numbers add up. We were thinking of changing ours last year (madness and stopped thankfully) but the resale value was too low for such a good car, lovely to drive, comfortable, great power etc etc

Thats thrown the challenge, if you can get this baby back to life, I need to fix my shutting down problem Thumbs Up

Post #519038 Sun Feb 26 2017 1:17pm
RRSCruiser

dddrrift wrote:
heres a link to the thread, few more pics on page 1 Smile

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic46987.html

Hi

Just a question regarding information needed to do this.

I purchased many moons ago a disc from Fleabay that was offerred as the workshop manual. Its great for the bits that are there but it is missing sections in the middle. Over time I collected more info from various web searches, these forums and the members kind sharing in their galleries. I paid for topix for a few weeks to review and collate relevant info, its a bit of a mess to use, so taking downloads is not realistic its just too fragmented.

Can i ask what are you using for this, I know from part stripping ours, trial and error works for some things as engineering logic suggests what to do BUT there are things that are difficult to fathom and sometimes some information would help work it out.

Post #519039 Sun Feb 26 2017 1:36pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>