Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Intermittent Vibration
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

insiorc

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red
Intermittent Vibration

Hi Folks

I've been reading about various RRS1 vibration issues and I think the EPB issue sounds similar to mine. But I'll put my symptoms our here and see if anyone agrees or has a better suggestion. Also I've only had it exactly a month, covering 1000 miles so I'm hoping the dealer isn't going to try and cop out of any repair as it first showed itself the day I got the RRS, but went away after stopping.

Anyway here is my story...

First run after collecting the RRS at around 50/60 mph I get a whole car vibration. It didn't go away when slowing so it can't be wheel balancing, so I wondered about a loose wheel - I stopped at the roadside but nope, all good. On starting the vibration was gone.

A week or so later it did exactly the same. And has done so a few times since, all when driving around the 50/60 mph speed and went away after stopping (my wife said it didn't go away once but she was almost home, and it was away next drive).

A different issue but possibly closely related is that when at traffic lights in Inverness I put on the Park Brake and relaxed the brake pedal, but the car creeped forward. Quick brakes on then reapply EPB - all good. Until next time. Now I know to apply EPB (I hear the actuator or whatever), wait a second then reapply the EPB - it then works.

So can the above info shine any light on any problems? I received a courtesy email from the dealer service person after I got my lock actustor changed, so I've emailed my symptoms to her, asking for receipt of email, but never heard a reply. I was wanting to date stamp my initial contacting the dealer as I cannot go there for over 3 weeks due to working abroad. I've not had a good experience at all from them, once they got my money they're not interested (usual to be expected I guess - I'll not mention their name yet incase they come good, but they're the furthest North East dealer on the UK mainland). I'm hoping they don't come with the crap about brakes not covered by warranty, as this existed before I owned it!

Anyway, sorry for writing my life's story and if anyone got this far then I'd love to hear your opinion .

Dennis 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine
14MY Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Black Pack - wife's
99MY Defender 90 TD5, Soft Top Conversion - my toy, and bairns favourite

Last edited by insiorc on Wed Aug 31 2016 4:14am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #504100 Tue Aug 30 2016 5:58pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Sounds like sticking handbrake it starts to overheat as your during which causes the judder. When you stop they cool down again so no more judder. Sometimes it releases abit more so doesn't catch hence you don't exit all the time.
The other pos is one of the Calipars sticking and causing the juddering etc. The next time it does it and you stop feel each wheel one will be hotter than the rest, that's the one causing the problem. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #504149 Tue Aug 30 2016 11:09pm
insiorc

Thanks

So I can figure a sticking caliper is possibly straight forward enough. But if it is a sticking 'handbrake', is this the actuator? Is this easy enough to check/fix or will it require putting to a dealer etc.? I trust my own work more than theirs, but it's a £200 boat trip just to get there (thinking Dundee is only a bit of Diesel extra... a visit to Disco_Mikey...).

I guess my biggest concern is that I know brakes are mostly excluded from the warranty, but this existed before (or on the day) I got it so I really couldn't care less about if they get paid from warranty, they should fix it. Due to the experience I've had from them since they got my money then I'm expecting problems, especially since they're not even acknowledging my emails (yes I'm being polite).

Post #504156 Wed Aug 31 2016 4:27am
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Hi Dennis, calipar you can do yourself, handbrake shoes I'm not sure on a car your age. On the earlier cars you can but you need a diagnostic tool to extend the cables as I find its best to fit new shoes, it's the leaver on the shoes which seize up.. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #504163 Wed Aug 31 2016 8:13am
insiorc

Well a potential cause may have reared its head - the Park Brake Fault message appeared briefly and now the flashing red P is on the dash. Although I have not seen this myself due to being 5000 mike away, my wife said there was a grumbly noise (her description, not mine) before the warning.

Hopefully this'll be a simple warranty fix, and I finally got a reply from the dealer after 10 days... I hope their inspection/repair time is quicker! 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #504671 Tue Sep 06 2016 5:35pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

If it's an Approved Used it will have a 2 year warranty including LR Assistance Bow down
So, call LR Assist and they will handle it all Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #504678 Tue Sep 06 2016 6:14pm
insiorc

Does that not get done through the dealer then? At the moment I've said for my wife to leave the RRS on the drive till I get home in a couple of weeks to take it to the dealer, but how can this LR Assist help? I've an overnight boat journey to get to the dealer so I can't imagine them coming to me to take it away, or am I wrong?

Yes I think I did get a warranty booklet and paperwork, but it didn't need read at the time...

Post #504680 Tue Sep 06 2016 6:20pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

My advice would be to call LR Assist and talk to them. Lay it on thick. They will coordinate with the dealer for you. You've paid for it so use it Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.

Post #504740 Wed Sep 07 2016 10:51am
insiorc

Well I called LR assistance and I must say I'm impressed so far, the lady said that if there is a problem then they are responsible for any travel/shipping etc. and next time I see the car will be at my front door all fixed - no pressure required, all volunteered. She said they've shipped a few from Orkney to Aberdeen or Inverness...I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.
A local breakdown service is collecting it after tea to go on an overnight boat to Aberdeen - that'll not be cheap by the time he get's back home in a couple of days!

So thanks for the advice to call LR Assistance Thumbs Up

Post #504743 Wed Sep 07 2016 1:32pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Your 2 year warranty and LR Assist should be used and abused to the max whilst you can Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com

Post #504813 Thu Sep 08 2016 11:24am
insiorc

Well after the dealer having my RRS for a day short of a week, they've finally got round to having a quick look!

Here is the video I got sent with their findings - https://video.citnow.com/vtTY-mBKN-G

Does it all sound about right, I mean the brakes etc.?

Now bearing in mind this is supposed to be LR Approved which I got on 31st July and less than 1000 miles covered (I'd guess at around 600 but can't confirm yet), supposed to have had a dealer stamped service (yes I'll be checking the filters for expected 600 mile cleanliness/dirt and will also send an oil sample for analysis to check for expected condition) and 165 point inspection - any thoughts? I'd already noticed the 'schoolboy error' of the tyres which I'd been planning on correcting anyway, but it still shows the shoddy, cheap standard of that dealer - Peter Vardy Aberdeen! I am also in the middle of dealing with other sales issue's where they've tried ripping me off.

Other than thoughts on the above, is this likely to be covered by warranty?

Cheers

Post #505358 Tue Sep 13 2016 9:51pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Shocking that it was sold to you with brakes that bad - you've done Censored all miles in it!
I would insist they fix all faults under warranty and put it in writing to the service manager and sales manager and dealer principal - email will suffice.
Mixed tyres again is shocking for a main dealer. Ask for them to be changed - even if it's for ones off another car to match. It's what I did.
Rear discs should have been changed before it was put out to sale.
I would also log your complaints and issues with LR customer service - see contact under LR Customer Relations on this forum

I stupidly missed worn discs on mine but complained and got a heavily discounted first service. I put new discs on via a local garage with Genuine ones bout off site sponsors Duckworths Thumbs Up Lesson learnt = new discs and pads please and I will buy the car Whistle Visitor from fullfatrr.com

Post #505395 Wed Sep 14 2016 11:00am
insiorc

Well it appears last nights email to them may have had some positive effect as I have received am email informing that ALL defects shall be repaired including the shoddy keyfob - but only after I had to prompt a reply by asking! Absolutely disgusting customer service.

But I have a couple of other thoughts I may or not persue;

When selling a car it must be roadworthy - It is a criminal offence to sell an unroadworthy car. A car is not roadworthy if its brakes, tyres, steering, or construction make it unfit for the road. Even if the car has an MOT certificate, this doesn't necessarily mean that it is roadworthy. (reference - https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us...purchase/)

Obtaining money by deception - I was sold a Dealer Option Platinum Protection coating, which I checked that all age related scuffs and scratches would be removed prior, as no point locking them in, and I was assured it would be prepared better than new. It was not done and coating applied, hence locking in the scratches/swirls for many years, or I've been quoted 3 to 4 days for a professional detailer to correct (approx £1300).
But worse is that when I got the car I found evidence in the handook folder that it had been applied by the previous owner at the same dealer, so this Peter Vardy dealership charged me £400 for a coating that was applied previously and that they give a lifetime guarantee for so shouldn't need redone (in theory, I'm not that daft though). (Also the £400 is the receipt price, I won't go into more as this is ongoing Laughing ). I am supposedly getting this £400 refunded.

So even though I shall hopefully get back a car with new rear brakes, the fact that it slipped past an alleged 165 point inspection and annual service is disgraceful. I have sent a PM to CRC.Landrover for advice on the expected standard and to ask how to file a complaint. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #505456 Wed Sep 14 2016 7:23pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Go for it and don't settle for being fobbed off!
I refused the paint cover on mine. Not worth the cash and as you said probably been done before. Dealerships have quotas to sell these add-ons. The classic one is Gap insurance ....always refuse and buy it from www.ala.co.uk for a lot lot less Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com

Post #505478 Wed Sep 14 2016 10:00pm
insiorc

I'd priced ala.co.uk GAP insurance for 2 years as a comparison and then when I spoke to the LR salesman and told him the price and that I wasn't interested in his, he came up with a package offer. Basically it was a 4 year GAP deal which when I considered what I was prepared to pay for the car + paint coating then it worked out a good deal, or close to equalling ala's price (I tend to keep my cars a long time so hopefully better value). On the invoice, the GAP and coating was at full price and RRS price was knocked down, but overall the figure was right. This has worked in my favour really as I'm now getting the full £400 coating price back - no I wouldn't have paid that for it without the figures being fluffed.

For the coating, I'm actually pretty impressed with it so far as water beading and shine is great, it's just that on closer inspection there are the age related marks that would have been so easy to remove if done beforehand. Or so I thought until I saw the previous owners coating registration papers, so I don't know if they even re-applied it or not. I would like to have the RRS detailed properly then coating re-applied, but of course not from that dealer.

Does anybody know what product is actually applied for the Dealer Options Platinum Protection - http://www.dealeroption.co.uk/Platinum-Protection? I have tried calling them but the receptionist wants a number for them to call back, not suitable when abroad. 13MY Range Rover Sport Autobiography SDV6 - mine

Post #505482 Wed Sep 14 2016 10:52pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>