RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Creaking tailgate
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

Right, I have traced the source of the creaking. I checked to see if it was the plastic rubbing on the door seals, or on the plastic surround of the locking mechanism, I covered these with thin fabric to ensure zero contact...still there.

If I open the top tailgate and then press down on the lower half, I get the creaking noise I experience when going over bumps. It's movement in the lower tailgate trim plastics, caused either by poor materials or poor fixings.

As a rule I don't slam the rear tailgate, but this creaking is REALLY annoying me. Looks like a trip to the dealer is called for, whether or not they will do this under warranty is another question. L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #69017 Mon Dec 04 2006 7:01pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Have you tried spraying some silicone lubricant spray all round the rear hatch and the seal between the upper an lower sections RR? The other option is a little messy but it is what we use on the ship for checking if watertight seals are fitted tightly............... liberally apply chalk or talcum powder all round one side of the joint , close the door and then re-open. where there is chalk dust on the unchalked side is where the two sides are touching. Don't know if it would on a car but it works well onboard - we do it the other way round to see if there is a gap in a watertight neoprene seal! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #69033 Mon Dec 04 2006 8:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Not being one to derail a thread Embarassed but this reminds me of a story I heard on the news this morning about an RAF Nimrod that stuffed a hole in it's fuselage with a kettle for it's trip from Cornwall to Scotland... no cabin pressure apparently, but the official comment was that the kettle was "to keep the cold air out of the cockpit so as not to cause discomfort to the flight crew" Rolling Eyes 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #69096 Tue Dec 05 2006 1:56pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I heard that one too on the Today programme...................... so the cuts in the defence budget are not affecting operations eh! Reduced to a teapot to fill bloody great holes in the fuselage of an aging (must be getting on for 35 years old by now) Nimrod Laughing 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #69099 Tue Dec 05 2006 2:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M12UPY

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey
Re: Creaking tailgate

RRUK wrote:
I've noticed that in the last few weeks my rear tailgate is making an annoying creaking noise when I go over speed bumps etc at low speed. Sounds like plastic creaking...

At least, I assume it's the tailgate...

Has anyone else had this and solved it?
Did u find out what was causing the creak as I have the same problem

Post #485893 Wed Jan 27 2016 7:57pm
M12UPY

England 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Stornoway Grey

Ok so ive cured the creak and no need for sticky Velcro. All I did was screw in the 2 cushion stoppers on both corners and hey presto no more noise! I must of been messing with them at some point wondering what they do lol! Hope this helps someone else

Post #486182 Sun Jan 31 2016 12:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12