RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Carpathian Grey
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 8 of 8 <12345678

parish

United Kingdom 

Hi all. I have just ordered my Dynamic in Carpathian Grey with contrast sliding roof in Santorini. I saw the exact same combo outside my local dealer on Monday and it looked stunning (sorry no pics). There is no doubt it is more grey than black but the contrast with Santorini is subtle which I much prefer anyway. I separately saw a Causeway grey with stealth pack in a showroom some months ago and although viewed at different times I would say Carpathian is definitely a shade or two lighter - a true gun metal grey.

Just a point about the colours appearing differently depending on light conditions as somebody commented on in this thread. As far as I am aware thats exactly what they are supposed to do. The premium metallics have several different mica flake shades in them that will cause the colour to change - subtly - depending on whether its sunny or cloudy. The darker premium metallics are sometimes referred to as 'trick blacks' - they can appear black but are actually another colour. Mariana Black (dark blue) and Barolo Black (damsun plum) for example.

Anyway having owned 3 prior gen RRS's all in Santorini in the days before LR offered the premium metallics I am so glad to be able to get away from black and cant wait for mine to be delivered.

Post #476486 Thu Oct 15 2015 5:51pm
JanRRS

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Corris Grey ... or Carpathian?

Hi, am new on the Forum ...

Have just ordered my RRS MY2016, in Corris Grey. Have seen the Carpathian, but just on a sample, and to my eyes it appeared as a very dark grey, almost black ... Can't understand the grey effect the pics posted have? Have those been filetered, or photoshopped, or does that dark grey, very similar, if not the same, to the Causeway Grey really lighten up in the sun???

From the pictures the Carpathian looks really great, but with the sample in my hand, either under the artificial light, or the bright sun light, I couldn't see that grey. Corris grey also has more silver flakes in it, and the sun does give a great effect on it.

Please let me know, as I have the 4 weeks to change the color ... Best would be to see a picture of a RRS in Corris near a Carpathian ...

To be frank, the pics seem to be of a Corris Grey RRS!

wrcveen wrote:
Deliverd yesterday

Post #483500 Tue Dec 29 2015 6:52pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic40719.html 

Post #483505 Tue Dec 29 2015 7:36pm
JanRRS

Thanks Phil.

I have already read the thread ... But couldn't find an answer, as the pictures posted appear to be Corris Grey after I have seen the Carpathian Grey sample!

Post #483506 Tue Dec 29 2015 7:42pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Jan,

The pictures you re-posted are definitely Carpathian, not Corris. See my car below and further details in my reply to your PM Thumbs Up

I love it and will recommend this colour without hesitation. However, please note my car goes without a wash for several weeks and it doesn't bother me too much. If you want to keep it absolutely spotless all the time, bear in mind it will be nearly as much hard work as black.

I know there is very little to go by, but you can actually compare Carpathian and Corris in the pictures below. If you look closely, the tow eye covers are Corris as standard. Like many others, I had them resprayed Carpathian to match the rest of the car a month or so after taking delivery but these pictures are from the day I collected the car from the dealer and the two eye covers were Corris then.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #483518 Tue Dec 29 2015 9:16pm
JanRRS

Thank you. And thanks for the MP! Thumbs Up

Very useful. In the front and rear pictures the Carpathian does look as dark as the sample palette in the showroom ... But on the full side pic the carpathian does look lighter, brighter, and the contrast with the black is visible. This is the color I like: jut a little bit darker than the Corris, but not too dark ...

What I also noticed is that when you compare the Corris and the Carpathian in daylight, or better in sun light, the Corris has mor reflective, silverish, flakes in it, whilst the Carpathian has not ... am not sure those palettes are reliable, as in your pics and those of some others, the Carpathian does instead show more silverish flakes in it which might cause the change of color.

Have you noticed this as well? If in the flesh this is the effect, then the carpathian might be an interesting color, as it turns from a darker Corris into an almost Santorini Black ... But would it be worth then for me to have the stealth Pack? Maybe the black would be absorbed and the looks be darker, if compared to yours which is a magnificent color! Thumbs Up

Post #483545 Wed Dec 30 2015 10:22am
Zapp79

United Kingdom 
Is it better than black??

I'm about to join the RRS family (jumping up from Discovery) and my order is about to go in. The big question is colour. I have specced the black wheels and stealth pack, so like the look of Carpathian.

My concern is whether it will be like black in terms of being a chore to keep looking good. My D4 is Orkney, so copes well with being washed once in a blue moon!

Any Carpathian owners regretting it? Does it show every tiny scratch and fleck of dirt?
Thanks

Post #485834 Wed Jan 27 2016 12:15am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Zapp79 wrote:
Any Carpathian owners regretting it?
No.
Zapp79 wrote:
Does it show every tiny scratch and fleck of dirt?
Yes. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #485840 Wed Jan 27 2016 2:16am
Zapp79

United Kingdom 

Thanks

Hmmm....in which case maybe Waitomo might be a better plan for me. Slightly lighter than Carpathian but still a nice contrast to the stealth pack, and it won't look like I've been banger racing every day. Whistle

Post #485845 Wed Jan 27 2016 8:53am
pko

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Hi Zapp79. I took delivery of my waitamo grey just before Christmas & I am pleasantly surprised that it doesn't show the dirt as much as I was expecting. I did treat it with Gardx myself (cost me £6 and a little bit of effort) after delivery & that goes a long way to shrugging off the dirt.

Post #485862 Wed Jan 27 2016 12:46pm
Zapp79

United Kingdom 

Hi pko, thank you.

My Orkney grey D4 is holding up well from a distance, but up close it's disgusting - haven't got around to cleaning it since before Christmas! Embarassed

Do you find that Waitamo has a brownish tint in sunlight?

Waitamo and Corris seem to be a similar colour to Orkney, so I think might be the way to go....but Carpathian looks so shiny.... aaarrrgghh!

I've persuaded the stealer to add paint protection for me, although, having read some horror stories about the standard of prep work at some dealers, I'm leaning towards dropping the car at a proper detailers for a day to have a ceramic paint protection, to help with scratch resistance.

Why is it so mind boggling to buy a car?

Post #485867 Wed Jan 27 2016 1:45pm
pko

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

hi zapp79, I don't really know if it changes colour in sunlight as we haven't had too much of that, but I haven't noticed any change. Re the paint protection, if you're getting it free from the dealer ok, but having done it myself for £6 I certainly wouldn't pay for it, & I know I've done it properly. All my previous cars I've had done by the dealer for £500 but I'm more than satisfied with my diy.

Post #485870 Wed Jan 27 2016 2:10pm
JanRRS

Re: Is it better than black??

Hi Zapp,

I had the same doubt as yours re Carpathian, therefore I just waited to see one in flesh: it is a nice color, a dark grey metallic, just as a "gun metal"... It does shine in the sun light, but in cloudy or rainy days it is just far too dark: you wouldn't notice the stealth pack at all! Moreover, as all the dark metallic paints it is far to delicate: you notice the dust or scratches immediately, and all that shining just goes away. I have chosen the Waitomo Grey: the contrast with the stealth pack is very noticeable!

Hope this helps.

Zapp79 wrote:
I'm about to join the RRS family (jumping up from Discovery) and my order is about to go in. The big question is colour. I have specced the black wheels and stealth pack, so like the look of Carpathian.

My concern is whether it will be like black in terms of being a chore to keep looking good. My D4 is Orkney, so copes well with being washed once in a blue moon!

Any Carpathian owners regretting it? Does it show every tiny scratch and fleck of dirt?
Thanks

Post #485877 Wed Jan 27 2016 4:38pm
NIRRS Fan

Hi All,
I ordered a new 2016 HSE Dynamic in January and had picked Corris Grey. Called in with my dealer when passing one day later and seena Carpathian Grey - so much richer a colour.
My new RRS in Carpathian Grey is ready to collect next week Very Happy
Looks amazing in the darker grey with the stealth pack...............I'm excited.......can you tell ??????

Carpathian Grey

Carpathian Grey

yippee !!

Post #491608 Wed Mar 23 2016 8:30pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Confused Don't see the pictures ... did you forget to post them or is it just me?

Here are 2 "sparkly" ones I took on a bright afternoon few days ago. Not the whole car as they are meant to focus on the colour only:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #491614 Wed Mar 23 2016 9:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 8 of 8 <12345678