RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Has anyone ordered a new RRS without the rear privacy glass?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>

Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

Thanks for all the feedback. It is a tough call for me between practicality and aesthetics. If all the windows were tinted it would look better in my eyes. I just struggle with the sharp contrast between the clear front and tinted back windows. Each to their own. It would be nice if the kids took their eyes off the screen every once in a while and looked out of the window or a change!

Post #464829 Tue Jun 16 2015 9:40pm
Renaco

Germany 

In my opinion, the Problem is that LR dont offer different grades of tinted Glass.
The offered Tint is just black, there is no difference between the black pillars and the Windows, like painted Metal without Windows, especially at Black Cars its very Boxy Looking and less classy like softer tints or clear Glass.

Why LR dosent offer US different grades of tints, like Porsche or VW, here you can Order 35%, 65% and darker.
65% will Look much smarter on a RRS and it would still Filter enough UV and give enough privacy without this box Looking Effekt. Also between the Front and Rear Windows it will look smarter, without the hard difference.

Post #464847 Tue Jun 16 2015 10:37pm
Johndotcom

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

You can get the glass replaced of course with different tint levels, as long as you can afford it.
Not from LR dealerships though, and Insurance companies wouldn't pay up if all were ... er broken. 😉

Post #464864 Wed Jun 17 2015 1:05am
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

In some of the brochure and media pics it looks like cars have a softer tint across all windows which look great. I think I've made up my mind to go with clear windows and will see if there are integrated blinds for occasional use.

Post #464881 Wed Jun 17 2015 10:25am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

There are added bonuses to having privacy like at night when you get an idiot on full beam behind you you don't get dazzled by the RVM (still get it from the wing mirrors unfortunately) and since having cars with privacy I have never noticed the auto dipping mirror actually dipping! It also protects the interior from the degrading effect of what little UV we get in the UK = less polishing of interior leather! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #464889 Wed Jun 17 2015 12:39pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wilf

Interesting point you raise - privacy glass must mean the auto dip EVM can't work as well (since it works by comparing light intensity from behind and ahead) and thus the door mirrors won't dim either.

Anyone else notice this? Don't suppose the RVM is recalibrated if privacy glass is specced? MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #464896 Wed Jun 17 2015 1:39pm
JB72

Sweden 

I ordered mine without the privacy glass as I thought the OEM one was to dark (tinted to let 20% of the light through), but as we drive to Italy every summer, some protection was needed. Considered the detachable sun-screens but they just don't look right on this type of car - would probably suite a Volvo station wagon better.

Just had aftermarket tinting to 35% fitted and I am very happy. It is still transparent enough so you can see in to a certain degree, reduces the risk of of being perceived to be a ...(insert whatever less desirable profession you want), and reduces the contrast vs the untinted front windows, while significantly reducing the sun glare and greenhouse effect in the backseat.

Even my wife, who was vehemently opposed to tinting, admitted that it didn't look half bad. 2015 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV6, Corris Grey

Post #465057 Thu Jun 18 2015 10:48pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Seen a few new ones without privacy, and in my opinion, on light colours it looks awfull. The beauty of factory fitted privacy glass, there is hardly any light loss in the back (from inside), but if you decide to get it done later with film, it cuts out so much light as you are adding tint to an already tinted glass, you can't see anything when it gets dull. It also shows up the radio aerial and heater elements quite badly

Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #465061 Thu Jun 18 2015 11:19pm
JB72

Sweden 

Amount of light loss is entirely dependent on the amount of tint. The OEM privacy glass reduces light by 80%, "untinted" OEM rear windows reduces light by about 5%, so with 35% additional after market tint, the light loss is around 60% - a lot less than the OEM version.

High quality after market tinting film mounted by a professional installer will not show up the radio aerial or heater elements. I had mine done by an installer recommended by the JLR dealer and came with a 7 year warranty. 2015 Range Rover Sport HSE TDV6, Corris Grey

Post #465062 Thu Jun 18 2015 11:38pm
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

Another vote for clear glass. i think the privacy glass upsets the look of the car, the front-rear balance is wrong.

We can't see UV of course so just because the windows look dark to visible light doesn't mean they are strongly opaque enough to UV to make a difference.

The auto-dimming rear view mirror works based on front-rear contrast ratio so it dims when there is strong light coming from behind compared to ambient. The key word is strong; tinted glass is unlikely to change the ratio enough to stop it working.

The mirror on one of my Porsches doesn't work for a different reason. The spoiler blocks the view of cars behind so it never dims yet shine a torch into the mirror and down it goes. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #465072 Fri Jun 19 2015 5:39am
sally

United Kingdom 

We dont have such high class drug dealers or footballers to be driving an SVR or any RRS with tints in my area.

I agree the tints are dark and some people dont like the vast step between the tinted rear and untouched front. If your not sure, maybe better to order without and have sensible light tints added after? 2012 Evoque
2014 Sport Autobiography
2015 SVR for the fun stuff
2016 Evoque SI4 Dynamic Lux for the daily drive
2016 Defender 90
2018 SVR

Post #465080 Fri Jun 19 2015 8:43am
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

Pretty sure I've made up my mind to go with no privacy glass. I think with Loire blue and an almond interior it just suits the car better. Final trip to the dealer today to do some side by side research.

Post #465173 Sat Jun 20 2015 8:27am
Chrisr1806

England 

Up to you, I think Loire and ivory work well with privacy. Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #465178 Sat Jun 20 2015 9:00am
Bobajobbob

United Kingdom 

Don't suppose you have a picture do you?

Post #465184 Sat Jun 20 2015 9:37am
Chrisr1806

England 

Have a look in my gallery, they're not very good but will hopefully give you an idea. Laughing Arrived: MY16 A/B SDV6 in Aruba, Ivory interior, piano black trim, black panoramic roof, spare wheel, blind spot monitoring, mudlaps and more... Twisted Evil

Gone but not forgotten:
2014 RRS2 SDV6 HSE in Loire Blue
2011 Freelander 2 SD4 HSE in Santorini Black

Post #465214 Sat Jun 20 2015 1:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>