RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Would you downsize? What to?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>

fkarim

United Kingdom 
Would you downsize? What to?

Possibly downsizing from the RRS to a smaller but nice family car is something me and the wife have been discussing for months but without any conclusion Banging Head The sole reason behind this thinking is relatively low usage these days, even though it is our only car. I have always taken the tube to work and don't see that changing in the foreseeable future. Previously the Mrs. used to visit friends and pootle around quite a bit and I was happy because the family was enjoying the car. However, 6 months or so after buying our current RRS, she started working again after an 8 year gap. The thing is she works from home which means the car doesn't see much use and just sits on the driveway connected to a maintenance charger most weekdays Sad It does decent miles pretty much every weekend though.

Part of me wonders if this is enough use of such a nice car or should we downsize? The other part tells me I will regret it. However, I am very practical ( read tight-fisted Laughing ) so any savings that could come from downsizing will probably be enough to console me. Wife is different though Rolling Eyes

Long journeys is another factor to consider - we like doing those but is it worth keeping the RRS for just 1 or 2 annual trips to the continent? We can always take flights if we don't have an SUV. UK journeys in a smaller car won't be an issue. I don't offroad and reckon most cars will cope fine in the UK with proper winter tyres.

The current RRS wasn't even properly "run-in" at ~5k miles when I bought it and we have only added another 10k miles (mostly long trips) in the 15 months that we have had it. It still appears to be getting better as the time passes (if that is possible). The condition and low mileage also means I have been given good prices by 2 dealers if I just sell it to them (i.e. without buying a replacement from them). I haven't even haggled yet. Tempting situation.

We do need a family car (2 young children) so a sports type car, as much fun as it would be, is out of question even if affordable. Something like 5 Series Touring, A6 Avant or XF Sportbrake would be very practical but Mrs. says "no" to any estate car, no matter how much I point out that RRS is also classified as "5 door estate". So it comes down to a saloon, again 5 Series, A6 or XF.

Have I missed any obvious comfortable family saloons in the above category of cars apart from E Class (which I don't like at all)? Would you downgrade purely for the reasons I am considering? If so, what would you go for?

Apologies for the lengthy post. I understand these questions don't have straight answers and depend very much on personal circumstances & preferences. It is entirely possible that we might end up going against any sensible advice in the end Laughing However, any input would still be much appreciated as we are clearly struggling to decide. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #456232 Tue Mar 17 2015 7:42pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

If you want a big, comfortable, practical car then get a Skoda Superb. Lots of room, well specced, comfortable, reasonably economical. Can be had as a saloon or an estate. Cheaper than the usual "badge chasing" choices from Audi, BMW etc. too. You can even have 4 wheel drive if you wish. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #456251 Tue Mar 17 2015 9:40pm
Gavin Beecham

United Kingdom 

I've just downsized from a L494. Similar reasons to you it sounds.
My wife found it too big so she never used it.
I loved the Golf R, but too small for us. Ended up with an RS4 (well we will when it arrives )
Your choices are all of a similar size to your sport so I don't think you'll be gaining anything by changing, and you certainly won't get the sense of occasion when you drive any of the other cars you've listed. Keep it!

Post #456262 Tue Mar 17 2015 10:12pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Have you thought about a Range Rover Evoque or Freelander 2? Both Evoque Coupe and 5 door are family friendly although the coupe's seat motors are a bitty slow to roll the seats forward for access to the back. Plenty of nearly new on the market (and I'm about to sell my 2014MY 8000mile fully loaded SD4 Dynamic into one of the forum sponsors at the end of the month). The Dynamic has magnaride adaptive dampers and ride is amazing for a car that doesn't have air suspension and rides on 20" wheels with LP tyres. MPG is quite acceptable although you may prefer the 2.0ltr Turbo Petrol if you drive in town a lot. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #456263 Tue Mar 17 2015 10:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
tanloverluke

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

my next car is a Skoda Yeti, and no i'm not taking the pi$$. seriously cool car, though beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Recently bought a 2007 RRS HSE TDV6 for a Pimp-My-Ride-Project.
DONE: Meduza front bumper, AB rear bumper, AB tailpipes, calipers repainted, rear upper tailgate upgrade, side steps, AB front grille, AB side vents, rear LED lights, clear side repeaters, integrated daytime running lights, LED headlights.
TO DO: color code sills and pillars.

Post #456264 Tue Mar 17 2015 11:02pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your comments guys.

RRSTDV8: I know looks are subjective but just saw the pictures and didn't like the Superb. Trust me, I am not about brands and badges but in addition to practical stuff, I do want to be able to like how it looks (shallow, you might say).

Gavin: I have also thought about RS4 and quite like it. However, the penny pincher in me feels that if I give up the best car I have ever had, I should be able to save some money (in purchase price and running costs). I will explore if RS4 will be good in those areas as I have no idea. The cars I listed might be similar in length but should be cheaper to buy and run (I hope). Totally agree with your sense of occasion point - I really look forward to every single journey - long or short.

Tim: Unfortunately we don't like the looks of the Evoque and while I like the FL2, Mrs. doesn't Sad

tanloverluke: Not keen on the Yeti, but I agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

As it stands, looks like I should keep the RRS but please keep the comments coming Thumbs Up Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #456265 Tue Mar 17 2015 11:09pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

How about the Discovery Sport? Does the whole "kiddies in the back with their mates in the very back" bit, cheaper than the RRS, with the new engine later this year it'll be cheaper to run too. Looks to be a good vehicle although I haven't driven one yet.

I really think you should just keep your RRS and enjoy it for what it is - a weekend / holiday treat! Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #456277 Wed Mar 18 2015 12:02am
Beancounter_74

England 

Having gone from an RRS to a 5 series, you won't get the practicality with a 5 series or similar you've listed, it's a lovely car with a cavernous, but sadly not completely usable boot.

You really will need an estate style, it's the reason I'm just about to take delivery of a 3 series touring, well a 335d to be more specific (I looked at the 5 touring, but it just looks too 'old man' in my opinion)
Some cracking deals at the moment. Wink Equipped with xdrive technology as standard, amazing performance with peer beating economy (quoted 50mpg, most people report early 40's).......... for something that will (out)pace an RS4 and a lot cheaper to run/maintain.

Don't get me wrong it's no RRS and doesn't pretend to be one, but it's a lovely car and very capable and practical, which with 2 kids, lets face it is what you need. Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #456278 Wed Mar 18 2015 12:43am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Thanks RRSTDV8. Don't know why I missed Disco Sport! I looked at one when I was waiting for my car to be valued and I was impressed. Surprised how the 3rd row seats seemed to have more room than RRS2's +2 seats.

BC, I shall keep trying to convince the Mrs. to atleast try an estate. I agree, saloons do not make too much sense for us. I get the feeling she wants to keep the RRS by vetoing all other practical alternatives Evil or Very Mad Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #456287 Wed Mar 18 2015 7:57am
Bradders

United Kingdom 

FK - I went through a similar thought process last year as my RRS was coming up to 7 years old and I was spending each year about £2k just for it to sit on the drive as I now work from home. We use my wife's MINI much of the time around town as it is just so much easier to manoeuvre and park. The RRS was mostly for the long haul to see the kids at uni.

In the end we swapped the RRS for a 3 series X Drive touring (not the fancy 335d that Beany is getting) jus the 320d but with all the M Sport toys. In my heart I do miss the RRS but in my head I know Ive made the right decision. SWMBO didnt like the thought of an estate car and couldn't be persuaded that we already had one, but over the last few months has quite warmed to the BM. A friend of ours with an Audi S5, told her the BM is is a sports car and she liked that - and I didnt put him up to it Whistle

Best of luck with whatever you decide, but get something you're happy with or you'll end swapping again too soon , losing a shed load and you might as well keep the Rangey. FF 4.4 V8 Soooo looking forward to this bad boy
Ex 2006 RRS SC - garbage
Ex 2016 135i M Sport - dream car
Ex 2003 RS6 Avant - piece of cr*p
Ex 2014 320d X Drive, M Sport Touring - ok I guess
Ex 2007 RRS TDV8 - bloody loved it
EX 2007 FL2 XS - not so bad

Post #456293 Wed Mar 18 2015 8:34am
JPR 1

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Audi Q5, Choose the right engine for a bit of sportiness and economy lots of deals out there, terrific build quality and reliability that you would expect from Audi, boot size is not too bad either.
Good luck with your purchase on whatever you decide on. Thumbs Up Current Volvo XC90 R Design T8
Gone 2010 TDV8. Stornoway Grey
Gone VW R50, AUDI S8, ML320 Sport, FFRR V8
Stolen 2007 TDV8.

Post #456304 Wed Mar 18 2015 10:09am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Cheers guys. 3 to work on: Discovery Sport, 3 Series Touring and Q5. I test drove SQ5 a while back and apart from the surprising performance for a diesel, it lacked in every other aspect compared to my old RRS. Different reasons now so definitely worth exploring Q5/SQ5 again Thumbs Up

The only alternative my wife has come up with is Macan but I think that is only because I have indicated in the past that I wasn't keen on it Sad Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #456310 Wed Mar 18 2015 11:06am
viper

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Bali Blue

SQ5 impressive performance definitely worth a second look Thumbs Up 2016 bmw x5 40d m-sport space grey
2015 bmw 335i m-sport touring mineral grey/coral interior looking to change again .
Gone HSE SDV6 Dynamic indus silver, santorini contrast roof,panoramic roof,red brakes,privacy,climate front seats,tow bar great car enjoyed it ����
Gone my10 3.0 tdv6 Bali blue/ivory 5 years 24k no problems great car will be missed

Post #456317 Wed Mar 18 2015 11:48am
Sag

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I'm with JPR1 - Check out the Q5. Wonderful car in my opinion and can be made to look very smart indeed. LCFC. Receiver of threatening letters from Overfinch.

Post #456324 Wed Mar 18 2015 12:21pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

TBH, it sounds like a fair position to keep the RRS to me. As long as it gets used enough, the fairly low use will help to keep costs down and you'll really appreciate it for those longer trips.

If it's your only car, there will inevitably still be times when you'll be very glad it's a RRS. There's the safety of a larger, heavier vehicle to think about too and the potential hassle of the change itself. No matter what you think you never really appreciate it fully until you don't have it. Wink Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #456330 Wed Mar 18 2015 12:35pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>