RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Would you downsize? What to?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 4 <1234>

drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

Like the Beancounter we've got a BMW, in our case its the 5 series GT. Built on the 7 series platform there's loads of space reclining rear seats (a bit) plenty of load space with seats down.

Ours is the 530d M sport has returned an average of 41mpg over the 6K miles since we got it.

Some really good deals around.

Its different enough from the RRS so you don't constantly compare, quiet and very comfy.

Post #456546 Fri Mar 20 2015 5:56pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If you are going for a test drive of the Disco Sport bear in mind that it will be getting a new range of alledgedly much better engines for MY2016 - they get the new JLR Ingenium 2.0ltr Diesels as fitted to the new Jaguar XE, at the end of this year so all the launch cars have the curent Ford PSA 2.2ltr 4 pot. Aslo rember that it is only available as a 7 seater but the rear seats are really only for occassional use by very small people! Saw one in Phoenix Orange today - rather "in your face" colour but it suits the car well. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #456584 Fri Mar 20 2015 9:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Andyjay123

I don't get it. Life's not a dress rehearsal so just keep the car you love.
Sod the £££
I would want to be on my death bed regretting not driving the car I wanted to drive just to save a few shillings. 2006 RRS Supercharged 4.2 HST muthuaflecka!

Post #456586 Fri Mar 20 2015 10:10pm
RRS Daz

^^^^^ A very valid point.

Last edited by RRS Daz on Sat Mar 21 2015 8:26am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #456589 Fri Mar 20 2015 10:35pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

May be I didn't explain myself very well but saving is a secondary thing (i.e. might as well save a bit if I go for something I don't like as much). If it was about the need to save money I wouldn't have asked the question - the car would be gone by now.

One thought at the back of my mind was "what if it just sits there 3-4 days a week and develops problems due to under-use which may not be an issue for a different car". I have taken onboard that 8k miles/year isn't exactly under-use and given that most of its mileage is made up of longer journeys, I should be fine. Also realise that I never suffered any battery issues even in winter and before getting a maintenance charger so this actually suggests I am using it a decent amount. With this understanding, I agree - your "why bother?" point is valid but the thread was created before I arrived at this conclusion with others' valuable input. I am now comfortable with the idea of keeping it but trying something different couldn't hurt. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #456617 Sat Mar 21 2015 2:36am
RRS Daz

Yeah 8k is a decent amount of miles and if that's made up of long journeys it has to be better than 15k of start stop trips.

If you go into it this and don't compare it to the sport there are some great cars to drive.

I've not driven the q5 although it's one I will consider when the times right, although audi's auto gearboxes aren't great.

I was disappointed with the interior of the disco sport, I thought it would come with the evoque dash. The extra two seats are pointless IMO, the seat base in barely higher than the boot floor. Exterior is ok apart from the little part behind the rear doors. Then the price with a few toys soon mounts up Shocked

Post #456624 Sat Mar 21 2015 8:40am
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Andyjay123 wrote:
I don't get it. Life's not a dress rehearsal so just keep the car you love.
Sod the £££
I would want to be on my death bed regretting not driving the car I wanted to drive just to save a few shillings.

After a few set backs with , Blackpool lights flashing on dash,fuel gauge faults,and accelerater response problem. Then a drivershaft fails. Big Cry Big Cry I wanted rid of my 10MY RRS Hse with 10K of goodies. Upgraded Extended Leather Contrast Stitching,Heated Steering Wheel,TV, 6 DVD Rear entertainment,Remote Park Heater,Sun Roof,coolbox, And all the outside upgrades. I tried Lexus, Volvo XC90 ,Disco Sport,and Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit.None of them gave me that wow factor that i get from my RRS. So i have now decided to keep my RRS. And keep 20/25K in the bank Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter itisme

Post #456631 Sat Mar 21 2015 9:34am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I'm having the same dilemma. My RRS has had its fair share of issues but what would I replace it with? I keep thinking about a D4 or a FFRR TDV8 but that means throwing a good chunk of cash at a replacement that may or may not be reliable. Not that bothered by the VAG stuff (although the Touareg would fit the bill in terms of off road and towing ability). The BMW stuff seems a bit pointless unless one never goes off tarmac.

So I'm thinking that I might keep the RRS and run it till it drops. Perhaps turn it in to a toy for off roading/laning although that would mean I require something else for the daily drive. Quite fancy a BMW i3 for that but I'd want an extended test drive to make sure it's comfortable enough for my back.

I also fancy a 1971 Series IIA. Just because. Whistle

Decisions, decisions... Whistle Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #456667 Sat Mar 21 2015 1:21pm
Andi

United Kingdom 

Couldn't get more of a change than mine. From a TDV8 to a 3 cylinder 999cc Fiesta and never looked back. Decided I didn't want the RRS any more regardless of having no problems, it just wasn't doing it for me as I thought it would. On top of that i refused to give the dealers any more of my hard earned money for their over inflated service costs. Don't get me wrong, I'm lucky and have a good cash flow, it just dawned on me one day that they were taking the pi55 out of us who pay very high prices for their cars and I wasn't playing any more!
So, I have a little car that returns around 50mpg when driven steady, feels like a hot hatch when driven hard, free car tax, about £150 for full service (I'm told) has a better Bluetooth system than the sport (plays iphone music, reads texts via bluetooth) if plugged into usb has faultless voice command for most things.
I do miss the high driving position, but having had L/R for over 5 years that was to be expected but that's all, yes, it surprised me too!

Post #456669 Sat Mar 21 2015 2:15pm
Andi

United Kingdom 

To be honest, you can't compare the two. Different ends of the scale, the fiesta's are ten a penny compared to the king of the road RRS, but for what you pay and what you get, along with on going costs, I have no regrets.

Post #456674 Sat Mar 21 2015 3:15pm
Andi

United Kingdom 

Yes, I prefer owning the Fiesta over the RRS

Post #456684 Sat Mar 21 2015 5:44pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I can understand that, I really can. I would happily have a hatchback again for many reasons although I'd go back to a Suzuki Swift Sport as they're cracking little cars.

I do like the elevated driving position, the go anywhere ability and the effortless cruising ability of the RRS though which is why it's still on the drvie. I agree about the dealerships and the high prices LR charge for parts. That's why I'm going to be using an indie from now on and, where possible, I shall be using OEM parts too. Paying twice the price just to have a LR cardboard box wrapped around the part is insulting. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #456687 Sat Mar 21 2015 5:58pm
Andi

United Kingdom 

Never tried the Suzuki, although having just looked it seems a tasty motor.
Two of my mates have had turbo problems on their RRS and to be honest I started pulling away slower just in case it caused a problem in mine! I had a full LR warranty so it wasn't the expense, it was the inconvenience of it if i had a problem and frankly I didn't trust the dealers to fix it without maybe mucking up something else.
Anyway, I'm not here to put any one off, just my reasons. Thumbs Up

Post #456790 Sun Mar 22 2015 5:33pm
Beancounter_74

England 

Gavin Beecham wrote:

Out pace an rs4?? Don't think so and will never sound as good or be as exclusive.
335d looks like a 318.... I know what I'd rather have.........an SVR!! ....Or an Rs4 over a Beemer

So your input to downsizing or being more frugal is an SVR Laughing

Re the 335d looking like a 318 - I whole heartedly agree Thumbs Up that's part of the attraction Wink I love the 'Q' car persona.
Yes, like for like it should be M3 v RS4, but they don't do a Touring 'M' so I think the 335d is a valid comparison. Having driven both pretty much back to back, in the real world the 335d is far closer to the RS4 than I think you've given it credit for. I agree the engine sound is not match, but again that will always be the case of a 'd' against a Petrol.

I guess if you're a shouty 'look at me' type, then it's RS4 all the way.....but if not, there are other, just as capable cars. Smile ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #456909 Mon Mar 23 2015 11:28am
Gavin Beecham

United Kingdom 

One of the reasons I've gone for the RS is because it's under the radar, which I really like.
I think the sport is more 'shouty look at me' if you ask me.
I agree though, the 335d is a very capable car and would be a close call in a drag race until the v8 in the RS is wound up.
I found it very hard to move from the sport and wanted something that would still bring a smile to my lips whilst driving.
Which I hope it does when it arrives! Laughing

Post #456944 Mon Mar 23 2015 6:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 4 <1234>