RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Low Fuel Warning with Full Tank
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

LandPhil

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand
Low Fuel Warning with Full Tank

Filled up yesterday and when driving tonight low fuel warning comes on and guage reads totally empty with miles left to go showing three dashes. Turned for home as only 5 miles away expecting to drop into limp mopde but made it home. LRA coming out tomorrow and suspecting a sender unit fault as no leaks evident.

We've had the car a week and the 2 years LR warranty arrived in the post today - that's the good news!!!

My Freely 2 went for 4 years with no faults so I am probably overdue for some hassle Censored

Post #453225 Fri Feb 20 2015 11:54pm
Robbie

Location: Waiting for my old avatar to be allowed back... we miss her!

United Kingdom 

Probably the wiring to the level sensors in the front right wheel arch. Pretty common fault and easy to fix.

Thumbs Up Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

How To - Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Free Fault Code Reading For Established Members:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR

Post #453257 Sat Feb 21 2015 10:34am
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White
Re: Low Fuel Warning with Full Tank

LandPhil wrote:
Filled up yesterday and when driving tonight low fuel warning comes on and guage reads totally empty with miles left to go showing three dashes. Turned for home as only 5 miles away expecting to drop into limp mopde but made it home. LRA coming out tomorrow and suspecting a sender unit fault as no leaks evident.

We've had the car a week and the 2 years LR warranty arrived in the post today - that's the good news!!!

My Freely 2 went for 4 years with no faults so I am probably overdue for some hassle Censored

Landrover Issued a Modification for this problem. Seems it is a common fault,but they wont issue a recall,as most people with the problem go to main agents and pay to have it fixed. I have just had mine fixed,It is a fuel tank lowered and connections on the sender units changed over. They say it is a 2 hour job. So if you pay its around £300 Landrover agreed to pay for mine Thumbs Up Thumbs Up itisme

Post #453264 Sat Feb 21 2015 12:30pm
myfirstrrs

United Kingdom 

Landrover paid for mine. Not the LR warranty but LR themselves. That's what the dealer told me.

Post #453266 Sat Feb 21 2015 12:45pm
LandPhil

Thanks for the replies. LRA called this morning and no fault codes associated with the problem were logged. He did a battery reset which cleared the problem for about a minute then it returned. Drove the car to the main dealer and enroute it cleared but returned again, so the car is with the Main Dealer but won't get looked at until Monday. Not a great start to RRS ownership but hopefully a quick fix.

Post #453275 Sat Feb 21 2015 1:40pm
harrygh60

Yes mine started when it was under warranty, it was booked in, then it cleared so i cancelled the booking. Two months after the warranty ran out it did it again, Low fuel warning, no fuel gauge reading and dashes on miles to empty.But i knew there was plenty of fuel in tank.I drove like that for a couple of days ,and it came back to normal. I found out about the Modification from an Indie Technition, Said he heard about it at a training course. The fault code should show up in code history of uncleared codes. It did this about five times before it was fixed. By main agent,and paid for by Landrover,not under warranty itisme

Post #453284 Sat Feb 21 2015 3:52pm
LandPhil

Thanks again, excellent info, makes me feel better about the outcome.

I have been given an Evoque!! I want my RRS back

Post #453336 Sat Feb 21 2015 9:13pm
Bomber H

Had the same issue on my RRS.
Annoying issue really, but easily fixed at my local indi for £190. 2016 VW Golf GTD DSG
2007 Exige S British GT SE
Gone : 2011 3.0TDV6 HSE, Stornoway Grey, Ivory, Piano Black Trim, Paddleshift, Privacy Glass, Side Steps, Mud Flaps, Heated Steering Wheel, Timed Climate & Remote Park Heating Smile

Post #453443 Sun Feb 22 2015 10:35pm
LandPhil

Thanks for that. I'm not planning to pay for the fix after only one week of ownership, that's between LR, LR Approved or the selling main dealer. I will post the result.

Phil

Post #453446 Sun Feb 22 2015 11:04pm
LandPhil

Car back home and fully serviceable. Job was paid for by LR. LR Approved declined to pay as it was a known fault that LR fix on a case by case basis but only if the car has a full set of service stamps. The supplying dealer, Lakeland Land Rover, was excellent and promised to sort it out if there was a problem.

Very good service from Marshalls Bury St Edmunds.

Post #453675 Tue Feb 24 2015 2:49pm
harrygh60

Glad to hear that its fixed at landrovers expence. After mine was fixed it developed more problems, warning lights gearbox Fault,Stability Programe Unavailable Drive Carefully. Electric Handbrake Fault. It turned out to be Brake Light Switch, It seems that the brake light switch has more functions than a brake light operator. Had it Changed problem solved £24.30 for Switch £72.00 Labour £96.30 inc VAT. After argueing that the switch just plugs in and could be changed in 15minutes. They said it had to be setup. But agreed to do the job for £70.00 itisme

Post #453687 Tue Feb 24 2015 4:35pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 

The brake switch is just a humble switch and requires no setup or special installation. It is very simple to fit taking a couple of minutes.

The brake light system is a very simple 12v switch for the lights but the line goes to the ECM so that it can recognise brake application for cruise control etc. It is the only high power 12v signal wire in the ECM and (like a number of other vehicles) it has been found that arcing at the switch or bulb can produce enough electrical noise injected directly into the ECM to cause total havoc.

Over on the D3 forum there are a number that carry a spare switch with them as they are cheap yet can disable the vehicle.

Post #453747 Wed Feb 25 2015 8:22am
harrygh60

Thats interesting Robbie. I have heard that some Merc's have problems when a rear light bulb blows. Could it be that Main Dealers put out info regarding needs to set up different simple parts,to stop small garages and private owners atempting the job? Whistle Whistle Whistle itisme

Post #453748 Wed Feb 25 2015 9:17am
harrygh60

Or is it to be able to charge exobitant prices for a simple job? Big Cry itisme

Post #453750 Wed Feb 25 2015 9:26am
Robbie

United Kingdom 

harrygh60 wrote:
Could it be that Main Dealers put out info regarding needs to set up different simple parts,to stop small garages and private owners atempting the job? Whistle Whistle Whistle

The pricing and feedback could be clearer, that's for sure. The D3/D4/RRS are easy vehicles to work on and there are lots of quality independents out there providing skills that outstrip main dealers at a much lower price. If you look on the D3 and D4 forum there is a wealth if community DIY knowledge that routinely turns a £1k dealer job into next to nothing or even free.

Dealer's pricing tends to reflect their high cost base and diagnostics. Rather than charging a diagnostic fee and then the parts fitting price many garages charge a set fee that effectively covers their costs and profit. It would not be great business if they worked on diagnosing your vehicle for an hour only for it need a £3 part and then charge you just the £3 plus 5 mins fitting labour. I think it is preferable when garages make it clear as to what you are paying for but their is an argument that it puts-off the customer if the diagnostic time is clear and upfront.

What is great in your case is that you did negotiate the price down to something more reasonable. All in all there probably was around an hour of activity on your vehicle if you add together all the minutes of manpower involved (booking in, reception, moving the vehicle twice, diagnostic hook-up, parts picking, parts fitting etc) so £70 is not a stupid price. Even though the part is cheap and easy to fit not everyone is minded to do stuff themselves, however much people like me encourage it.

Post #453764 Wed Feb 25 2015 10:22am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1