RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Any ideas
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Astra012

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Any ideas

Moved the car this morning, started first time drove fine and parked on an hill opposite my home. 10 mins later the car started but with a large puff of smoke and it wont pull off or rev over 1300 revs. 10 days left on warranty so will be calling Landrover assist later, but any ideas what's up with it?

Post #453646 Tue Feb 24 2015 10:28am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

EGR valves. Thumbs Up

Get them replaced, then, assuming it is an 06MY, just blank (much better anyway) and forget once the warranty is over. Wink Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #453659 Tue Feb 24 2015 12:06pm
zaphod

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red

Sorry to intrude but this seems to be something that pops up every few days... I have to hold my hand up and confess I don't know what an EGR valve is, only that it's something that is on Diesels and not petrol thankfully. More perplexing is that fact that they can be 'blanked' and that is somehow considered an upgrade? So why have them in the first place?

Post #453671 Tue Feb 24 2015 1:58pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Yes, you thought right - putting the exhaust back into the engine.

They're are fitted to reduce SO2 and NOx emissions and meet regulations. Under any sort of load they should be closed but when the valves fail they can get stuck open, thus, allowing pressure to escape from the intake. The TDV6 ones suffer from this very often. The black smoke usually seen is un-burnt diesel as less air enters the engine than expected. Trying to improve the reliability by cleaning them is futile as they basically have filth flowing through them.

Robbie put it best when he said it's like "forcing you to eat some of your own Censored just to be able to say you produce less Censored".

They are terrible things for the engine. Take a look at the state of the butterfly housing and you'll never want a car with them again. They block up the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor too.

While blanking them does not increase the power over a fully functioning EGR system, it does remove the possibility of failure and prevents the Censored being sent back into the intake. I would always take any opportunity to blank or remove them, even if more expensive (i.e. 07MY onwards needing emulators). Thumbs Up

Many petrol cars do have them too now. Sad

Hope that clarifies a few things for you. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #453673 Tue Feb 24 2015 2:36pm
zaphod

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Rimini Red

Thanks for taking time out to explain - much appreciated, think I understand now. That Censored analogy did the trick nicely!

Really does sound like a dumb idea to allow filthy exhaust fumes back into an engine when we have air filters to ensure only clean air gets in...

Post #453678 Tue Feb 24 2015 2:58pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

I'm only here because I like to try and help. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #453680 Tue Feb 24 2015 3:16pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Not only do they do all of those things, they also increase fuel use. Yes, an item designed to improve the environment actually uses more fuel and thus increases CO2 production too. A certain irony there, I'm sure you'll agree. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #453715 Tue Feb 24 2015 7:59pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Yes, of course - can't believe I forgot that. I'm convinced that there is no end benefit to the environment. Rolling Eyes Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #453753 Wed Feb 25 2015 9:36am
Astra012

Wales 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Thanks for you help with this one it was the EGR valves, they put 1p piece in each one and it started and I drove to the garage for them to replaced. Will be blanked after Landrover warranty is up, I noticed a difference in performance. By blanking them will it invalidate an aftermarket warranty?

Post #453774 Wed Feb 25 2015 12:11pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

No idea. As long as you tell them, I wouldn't think they'd mind. Blanking them achieves exactly the same as a closed valve so...

The performance increase noticed it purely because the valve(s) was/were duff - it doesn't increase the power over the standard manufacturer's specification. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #453775 Wed Feb 25 2015 12:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1