RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Q393 - Detachable Tow Ball and Supplement - LR Sevice Actio
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Slaley2001

Q393 - Detachable Tow Ball and Supplement - LR Sevice Actio

It appears that Land Rover are now taking the detachable tow ball issue more seriously and have issued a recall. Our colleagues on the Disco3 site are discussing it here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic121876.html

Mt RRSport is being looked at by the dealer tomorrow. I will report back what if anything they propose to do.

Post #447048 Thu Jan 01 2015 6:10pm
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

It's funny how it's taken nearly 7 years and several accidents before they pay attention. I know of one lady who lost her horse and box and was told by LR she hadn't inserted it correctly although she had both keys in the boot. And another guy who lost £120000 lambo and car trailer the same way. In both cases the tow ball was still connected to the trailer and had come off the car. I complained for years that when I towed my caravan, I had to keep checking the bar was engaged by detaching the caravan and disconnecting the bar and reinstalling it. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #447059 Thu Jan 01 2015 7:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

When i was at my dealership on Tuesday, he asked me if i had a towbar fitted as there were some sort of recall for it. I didn't take much notice as my motor doesn't have a bar fitted. So somthing is obviously happening now about this problem. As you say Simon, 7 years and many accidents too late. Whistle

Post #447080 Thu Jan 01 2015 10:40pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Is the problem with the towball or the connection at the chassis?
I have a Thule towball, (who made them for LR) but was not fitted by a dealer.
Just wondering where I stand, as mine gets used for towing horse boxes

Cheers
Dave MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #447081 Thu Jan 01 2015 10:54pm
codfather

Scotland 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Santorini Black

Double post, hands still shakey after last night Embarassed MY10 TDV6 SE (debadged Wink ), Santorini Black, Flappy paddles, Privacy Glass, 20" Stormers, Mudflaps!

Gone: a comprehensive list of imprezas and a Merc ML AMG

Post #447082 Thu Jan 01 2015 10:54pm
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Like cod father I also have a Thrule tow hitch which I bought from Duckworth Land Rover so are we covered ? After reading the thread on the D3 forum I think they check the reciever in the rear crossmember for wear not the hitch itself. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #447089 Fri Jan 02 2015 12:03am
Slaley2001

Surprise, surprise quote 'there is movement but insufficient to justify replacement under warranty. The movement according to Land Rover's tool is acceptable'. Funny that - only a couple of months ago another dealer said that the towbar required replacement and wanted to charge £400 to do it. I have no confidence in Land Rover on this issue.

Post #447135 Fri Jan 02 2015 12:50pm
simple1

My understanding is that it's the connection from car to swan neck. Tow balls wear but unless it's made from butter not far enough to warrant a recall.
The system of tiny pin holding the neck into chassis isn't clever, the full fat has a Thule bar on it supplied by LR which has similar engineered system but uses three balls to lock into housing. Not yet had reason to question iota design or security.
I did read somewhere that the swan neck is only designed to tow 750 kgs, if you want to tow more, you need to instal the heavy duty version with two bolt on stabilisers, only problem with this is it's not mentioned in the hand book!!!!!! 🔫 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #447136 Fri Jan 02 2015 12:50pm
Slaley2001

My swan neck wobbles around in the housing like mad. My understanding is that they are measuring the movement in the locking knob not the movement of the swan neck in the housing. The dealer showed me a photograph of the knob against a scale. In my case the knob at maximum travel was not pointing into the red zone.

Post #447144 Fri Jan 02 2015 1:50pm
simple1

If your knob wobbles then there are tablets available. Whistle 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #447180 Fri Jan 02 2015 6:09pm
Camelrock

Just a thought is this checking of the towbar going to become a service item as they do wear, it might be ok this year but what about 2/3 years from now, then will it be changed as per this service action ??
Hello is that Land Rover I've just lost my caravan off the back of my car, its gone across the road and killed 3 people in a car coming the other way. Oh I'm very sorry ,sir but according to our records it was checked back in 2015 and was ok then, maybe you didn't fit it correctly to the back of your car !
In other words not our problem..... 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
1994 Dakar current

Last edited by Camelrock on Sat Jan 03 2015 11:13am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #447246 Sat Jan 03 2015 11:06am
simple1

I would be more concerned that it is the receiver that wears, as it is part of the chassis will be a Censored to change. Whistle 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀

Post #447247 Sat Jan 03 2015 11:11am
Camelrock

What they should be doing is designing a new detachable tow hitch that doesn't wear then fall off and replace the lot. They can then claim off there supplier ie Thrule, they did this in the 90's with the TDI Disco's and Range Rover Classic dashes I changed dozens of the things .. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
1994 Dakar current

Post #447248 Sat Jan 03 2015 11:19am
Slaley2001

This 'recall' will remain valid for two years and if any issue is spotted within that time which fits the criteria the towing assembly will be replaced. However they have now issued new guidance on how the towbar should be used which includes for example removing it and storing it in the boot when not in use for towing. If it isn't used in accordance with the new guidelines they may try to get out of replacing the unit FOC. This is like changing the rules of the game at half time! There was no such guidance in place at the point of sale.

Post #447631 Wed Jan 07 2015 12:30am
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

So that if owners use their towbar day in day out, can they expect to lose their trailer at some point of the day due to the towbar not being fit for purpose Question Shocked
What an half cocked ruling.... Whistle

Post #447642 Wed Jan 07 2015 9:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>