RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Q393 - Detachable Tow Ball and Supplement - LR Sevice Actio
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

Two things spring to mind, a) use the safety tie and don't wrap it round the draw bar
B) remove and insert the neck daily to make sure it's in, the key removed. This at least confirms the neck is in fully at that point. In my case, the bar worked loose during towing and I got in habit of checking it every couple of hours especially towing caravan. Bit of a pain but twice, on long trips, I had to hammer neck up to undo it, then lock it on again. Nose weight on my old van was less than 50kgs. 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #447646 Wed Jan 07 2015 9:41am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I would not be happy having to check my tow bar every couple of hours. Shocked Check my load yes, thats if its still attached to my vehicle. But check your tow bar Shocked Whistle

Post #447657 Wed Jan 07 2015 10:38am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
simple1

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Cairns Blue

It's not right Big Cry but better than watching your trailer exiting stage left in your mirror. Hopefully LR are watching this space and will step their game up Whistle have said for years I wasnt 100% confident in the system but the alternative of having a big lump of steel hanging out the back constantly doesn't apeal either. Have clattered my shin off my L200 bar too many times Big Cry
 2x TDV6. SE and HSE. Both returned to sender with issues👀
TDV8 Sport HSE...... Gone. Loved it but it didn't love me!!
Now rolling in MY10 Fullfat TDV8 Vogue. Slammed it to go round corners🙈
Cruising daily #56 mph in a Volvo V8. 😱
Lots of other toys in the cupboard...😜

Post #447659 Wed Jan 07 2015 10:46am
monty19

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

ours was in yesterday and they said all is ok, hope so because im pulling a twin axle caravan

Post #470866 Fri Aug 21 2015 8:27am
savi18

New Zealand 

simple1 wrote:
My understanding is that it's the connection from car to swan neck. Tow balls wear but unless it's made from butter not far enough to warrant a recall.
The system of tiny pin holding the neck into chassis isn't clever, the full fat has a Thule bar on it supplied by LR which has similar engineered system but uses three balls to lock into housing. Not yet had reason to question iota design or security.
I did read somewhere that the swan neck is only designed to tow 750 kgs, if you want to tow more, you need to instal the heavy duty version with two bolt on stabilisers, only problem with this is it's not mentioned in the hand book!!!!!! 🔫

You got me worried now just received my swan neck hitch to tow double axle caravan weighing in approx. 2000kgs, have not towed with it yet as it sits to low to the ground to connect caravan(see my post) going to have to think on this one don't want to lose a new caravan.

Post #470963 Sun Aug 23 2015 8:05am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

The detatchable towbar is fine as long as it's removed when not used (NB: They can also be stolen in 5 mins so this is advisable anyway.) and kept clean and greased. If you're towing often, or large noseweights, you need the fixed bar. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #470966 Sun Aug 23 2015 9:01am
savi18

New Zealand 

The detachable swan neck hitch is sitting to low to attached caravan so as you mention will have to go for fixed tow bar hitch, luckily over here in the South Island NZ never heard of one be stolen, but the swan neck hitch I bought from England, well you never know, Cheers Derek(ex Lancashire Lad)

Post #470968 Sun Aug 23 2015 9:11am
Mail Order Ride

OK got my letter today and having read this thread and the one on D3 Im not sure how to proceed

I have a 2009 RR Sport with the LR detachable tow hitch which is used 2-4 times a month for a bike carrier
Despite never having had to I also need the capability to tow a horsebox (dont ask)

Hopefully my car is OK as its only ever fitted for use and safely kept clean and dry in between

What I absolutely dont want is the fixed arrangement on the back of my car for only partly aesthetic reasons but mainly that I will bang my shins on it every time I get anything out of the boot from past experience of a car with this set up

Any experience of how this will likely pan out?

I have a feeling I will be fobbed off with the fixed system - anyone who has successfully had the new crossmember fitted and kept the detachable facility please shout out!

Cheers

EDIT: WTF!!!! This thread started 9 months ago and I just got my letter today - poor show LR

Post #474154 Thu Sep 24 2015 7:36pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Quote:
Despite never having had to I also need the capability to tow a horsebox (dont ask)

I'm asking? Laughing

If the towbar is functioning well, and it and the receiver are not worn, then you won't need any change. Thumbs Up

At least one member on DISCO3 has been provided with a new swan neck instead (with a new crossmember). If that's what I wanted, I would be telling LR that I need the departure angle for off-roading. Wink

Quote:
WTF!!!! This thread started 9 months ago and I just got my letter today - poor show LR

The action was suspended for a long while, which IIRC is believed to be due to an unexpectedly high number of crossmembers being in need of replacement.

FWIW, I have still yet to receive a letter...but I have a fixed bar, which fits snugly, so it doesn't effect me. Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #474207 Fri Sep 25 2015 9:40am
RRS Daz

My sport had a dealer service done this week and was checked for the recall but hadn't had a letter about it.

Post #474303 Sat Sep 26 2015 11:53am
Shiny Silver

England 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 SE Siberian Silver

I had my detachable tow bar checked last year by the LR dealer and was told it was within tolerances. I have noticed after unhitching the detachable has some side to side movement, but twisting the green knob then removes the slack. After towing and unhitching last weekend the side to side movement was about an inch movement!!!!

My big concern is that the tow bar is loosening off in use, so I have booked into the dealer to have it checked again and hopefully get it resolved. RRS MY12 SE Siberian Silver, Ocean, Ivory and Walnut.
3.0 SDV6 256hp, 8 speed autobox with flappy paddles, Factory fitted options: Privacy glass, tow pack, heated seats, heated steering wheel, RSE, centre cool box, premium carpets, mood lighting,vision pack and memory pack.

Post #498552 Mon Jun 13 2016 12:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12