RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Gearbox issue when cold. MY2012
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

mlines

United Kingdom 
Gearbox issue when cold. MY2012

A quick search of forum did not reveal any reports of this.

My 2012 SDV6 when the gearbox is cold (ie. first 200 metres of driving) appears to give the symptoms of forgetting to dip the clutch on a manual car . ie the gearbox fights the engine and nearly stalls it (it actually stalled once, not encouraging in an automatic).

This only happens very soon after starting and only occasionally in the colder weather.

Put it into the dealers today and it did if for them which was a miracle as it so rarely happens.

With the fault captured on the computer they did some research and found there was a gearbox software update for this issue.

Now updated and waiting to see if it happens again. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #440143 Tue Oct 21 2014 8:30pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

My gearbox has had about 3 updates from new, Shocked None of which are for your symptums, but i know what you mean, mine feels and sounds like its got an exhaust brake when slowing down to a set of lights 200 yards from my house, but never stalled. Looks like another update pending when it goes in for its next service. Whistle Its time JLR sorted the delayed throttle response. Mr. Green
Keep us updated if its cured the issue. Thumbs Up

Post #440152 Tue Oct 21 2014 9:03pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Apparently the delayed throttle response is a characteristic Whistle

I have another name for it when I almost get T boned at junctions, roundabouts or crossing dual carriageways but I can't use Censored on a public forum - it's murder getting the stains out of the seat too Evil or Very Mad Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #440164 Tue Oct 21 2014 11:54pm
mlines

United Kingdom 

Well its still too early to tell if the actual reported fault is fixed as it was fairly random in its appearance.

However, the car is a different vehicle to drive now.

Previously, unless you were really gentle with the accelerator, the take-off from standstill was very aggressive. It would suddenly take off at junctions and you would have to back off the accelerator. This would make towing my trailer interesting as any extra accelerator would result in a racing start. Now the whole process is smooth and controlled, its very nice to drive.

The test driver also said it was a dramatic change to where it was yesterday.

The actions carried out were to upgrade the gearbox software and top up the drive fluid. The specific upgrade was one to solve a "gearbox hold" issue where it would hold onto gears too long. I can only assume that it would also hold onto neutral too long as well which resulted in the racing starts as it suddenly took up drive.

I will report again after a few cold mornings. 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #440184 Wed Oct 22 2014 12:56pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Thanks for the update so far. Thumbs Up
Why has it taken JLR so long to address these issues Question When i have the dog in the back of my vehicle, i have to be very gentle with the accelerator when setting off otherwise the dog nearly gets thrown out of the back window. Whistle Like you i have to back off as soon as it takes off. Its all or nothing it seems. Whistle

Post #440185 Wed Oct 22 2014 1:14pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
mlines

United Kingdom 

Just an update, didn't cure it so back to the dealers 2016 RRS 4.4 TDV8 Autobiography Dynamic in Montalcino Red and Stealth Kit

Post #442319 Wed Nov 12 2014 1:21pm
Ady 555
Site Moderator

Big Cry

Let us know if they ever manage to solve the issue. Thumbs Up

Post #442351 Wed Nov 12 2014 7:16pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1