Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Dodgy front screen on DVD only
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Tom Davison

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Dodgy front screen on DVD only

Hi all,

I tried my DVD for the first time since taking ownership this weekend, and noticed that when you switch to DVD mode, the front screen is corrupted slightly. This is not the case for the rear entertainment which works perfectly, just the front. It occurs as soon as you switch to DVD (even whilst it still shows the RR menu). During day to day operation, the front screen is perfect on all modes including CD, Radio, DAB and Portable Audio.

I've attached a couple of pictures, wondering if anyone had encountered it before?

Thanks

Post #627753 Fri Oct 28 2022 4:37pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

I am only going from memory, but I seem to vaguely remember you can change the picture aspect ratio in a menu somewhere and see if it makes any difference, not a audio/video engineer so could be completely off the mark. I could however be getting completely confused with something else and at my age that's not difficult. I do have factory RSE and will have a look to see if there is a menu in there when I have chance.

Cheers
Col

Post #627759 Fri Oct 28 2022 10:40pm
Tom Davison

Not quite sir, it's obviously impossible to tell from a photo now I think about it, but the front screen flickers, so it shows a band at the bottom of something random (in the photo's case the top menu of the DVD) but flickers erratically, as in it shouldn't be showing it.

The 2 rear screens are flicker free and display correctly, but as soon as you switch to DVD the front begins to flicker. Under normal operation, including through the menus and navigation, it's perfectly fine.

Thanks

Post #627802 Mon Oct 31 2022 11:54am
karlos01

England 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I'm not 100% sure but doesn't the back and the front screens run off separate fiber optic cables ?
could just be a loose connection

Post #627804 Mon Oct 31 2022 1:40pm
Col

Do you know if it is a aftermarket system or factory fit one?, if it is a aftermarket system it may not be connected to the most fibre optic cable system as some were done via a transmitter module of sorts I believe. What happens with the front screen when playing a DVD without the rear screens media playing, does it still flicker?.

Cheers
Col

Post #627807 Mon Oct 31 2022 9:48pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Do you have TV module and does the front screen break up the same on TV ?

Post #627837 Tue Nov 01 2022 6:36pm
Tom Davison

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies:

Andy K - I don't believe I have the TV module, no. At least, it's not listed as an input option to select through the menus?

Col - I have no reason to believe it's aftermarket, it all looks OEM. A quick look at the VIN decoder suggests it had RSE fitted from the factory, and the DVD is in the "right" place in the boot so all points to OEM. I haven't yet tried the front screen only, I'll do that and report back - EDIT: Yes, with the RSE turned off, the front screen still misbehaves. As soon as you active the DVD menu, it begins to flicker, approx 20mm bar across the bottom. The colour is dull and has bars running vertically through it, and the bottom 20mm of the screen is just noise/garbled.

karlos1 - I was hoping something simple, I've only had it a couple of weeks and haven't had much opportunity to fiddle, presumably it's a case of centre console out, dials out, a/c out to get behind to check cabling? Unless there are any "access hatches" anywhere?

Thanks everyone for the help so far, it's a very friendly forum!

Post #627854 Wed Nov 02 2022 9:26am
Col

Only a wild suggestion, but is the video format set to PAL or NTSC and correct region?, not sure what difference it would make to video if any or set to NTSC as I think UK would be PAL or if you can even change it anywhere in the system. As say only a suggestion.

Cheers
Col

Post #627888 Wed Nov 02 2022 10:01pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

The PAL/NTSC setting works on all screens simultaneously. Setting to NTSC would render the picture illegible on all of them anyway. Wrong region would just not play throwing an error message.

My bet is for a damage within the DVD input circuit to the front screen. The DVD signal is fed to a splitter which, erm, splits it into three feeds (each for a single display). I would try to narrow it down by temporarily swapping the connections from the splitter to the displays and checking if the effect occurs on a display connected to the "front screen" output at the time. Should this happen, it means the splitter is somehow broken.

If not, this still can mean a broken connection on the screen side.

However, I do not know exactly how the connections are routed. It might be that the "splitter" is integrated within the front display. In this case I would temporarily swap with a known working unit and check again.

Eventually, if all failed, I'd come to a conclusion I do not need DVD in front, but that's another matter Smile Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #627897 Thu Nov 03 2022 9:28am
Col

So on a 2010 car is the player in the IAM just a CD player or a DVD player as well as a dvd multi changer player in the boot.

Cheers
Col

Post #627899 Thu Nov 03 2022 11:09am
TheWojtek

Mine does not accept DVDs.

Anyway I digged a little deeper and it turns out the "splitter" is the RSE module (OEM part #LR20145, superseded by LR043260). Located in the infotainment bay of the trunk.

Now sadly we can not easily check the cabling by swapping the outputs. The rear screens are connected not with an optic fibre cable, but with a 20-pin Mitsumi to 13-pin Alpine copper cable (proprietary connectors) each, while the front screen gets the signal via a standard 4 Pin S-Video (also copper) cable.
However, if you have an old camcorder or an even older television with an S-Video input, you can hook up either to the S-Video output on the RSE module and check for distortion when playing back a DVD. Buy a 4-meter long cable so you will reuse it in step 2 if necessary:
Step 1: image distorted while faking the front screen with a different display (camcorder, tv): RSE module to be replaced.
Step 2: image not distorted on a different display: use the cable from step one to connect to the front screen. Substeps:
Step 2a: distorted: front display unit to be replaced
Step 2b: not distorted: replace the OEM cable with the one you are using now.

Tom Davison wrote:
A quick look at the VIN decoder suggests it had RSE fitted from the factory, and the DVD is in the "right" place in the boot so all points to OEM.

Where is it, this VIN decoder? Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #627902 Thu Nov 03 2022 1:29pm
Andy K

I thought the connector on the rear of the display was a 6 pin idc header

2 middle pins for reverse cam
2 pins for tv or dvd

Post #627913 Thu Nov 03 2022 6:59pm
TheWojtek

I'm not sure, but the guide to retrofit RSE to a Disco details the connections quite accurately: https://media.disco3.co.uk/gallery/albums/...0Guide.pdf Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #627914 Thu Nov 03 2022 7:16pm
Andy K

That’s the older (pre facelift) screen

Post #627915 Thu Nov 03 2022 7:30pm
TheWojtek

Since the later cars share the same part numbers I am 51% sure it works exactly the same. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #627925 Thu Nov 03 2022 11:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>